25 years old, am I too old to do this?

DOK

Edit: Too old to do this for a long time I mean.
Nah, you good. They hired a driver in late 50's and 60's recently.

You're fine, perfect age actually. Those of us who started at 18 will have 40 years of service by the time we retire. Trust me, you don't want that.

john chesney

How long is a long time?

In my local no one retires before 57. So I'll drive at least 35 years.
35 years in a ups truck is nothing. It only gets easier with age. They treat you better everyday by the time you get to where I'm at you will be full of joy and love for the company. It's been such a beautiful experience I hate to leave

Last edited:

RuthlessSupSlayer

I'm interested in becoming a delivery driver despite everyone telling me to run away.
I know that I'm gonna have to wait in line in order to obtain a spot. I'm located in Northern California if that matters. I've done a couple years of construction and am able bodied. I can work hard.

At what age did you guys start?
How long can I do this for?
What is the pension like?
Is working outdoors driving and delivering things as fun as it sounds?
How stressful is this job and does everyone get enough sleep a night? Assuming there's some time left in the day after work...

Edit: I mean....am I too old to get into this and make a career out of it? How many years can I expect to squeeze out of this?

Okay here is the cold hard hinest truth...you will be fine

I atarted pre load at 33 for a seasonal job and 9 months later i am driving (qualifying still) if you are safe and eat right and actually stretch before work not the "just do it for 30 seconds to say we did it to keep drivers safe" bs at PCMs you will be fine. I wish i did this at 25 hell even 30. I have repaired ACLs and crap. As far as pension we can only cross our fingers as each contract approaches. So for now i would look just getting inro driving. If you do not have a college degree or even if you do having trouble finding work you will make good enough money if you are smart and spend wisely you can save enough.