2nd day on preload.. a few questions.

just keep all packages for the same stop together. That way the bulk in the rear will come off easier. I don't think the teach that anymore.

outamyway

One of the most irritateing things about loading trucks was getting a never ending bulk stop with 1 of 1 on every package.

The 3 drivers I loaded for before I went driving always praised me for utilizing all shelf space. I tried to cram as much on the shelf as I could. Big stuff underneath the shelfs. Big bulk stops outside until later. One of the drivers I loaded for didn't want me to bulk any big stuff in until he was there to help so he knew what it all was. If there was space on a shelf that wasn't being used I would load what ever I could there to minimize bulking down the middle. But I would always let them know if I did something like that and marked them with the sequence number or use the pal sticker.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I ended up grabbing a spare four wheeler, the type that are used in malls, but I still had a bad day. I spent more time sorting and re-arranging packages than delivering. Plus...there was a load quality issue so you can add picking packages up off the floor after every stop to the list. It's hard to adjust the mess in the middle of the shelf or back of the truck when the middle of the floor looks like the picture above. It's frustrating but I get over it quickly and remind myself that I get paid by the hour.
'attaboy:thumbup1::thumbup1:

W

westsideworma

just keep all packages for the same stop together. That way the bulk in the rear will come off easier. I don't think the teach that anymore.

well we're trained to look at the PAL labels now, the only problem with that is that bulk stops are sometimes PALed to two or more secitons....never fails.

It especially wreaks havoc on a mall truck...:confused:1 Lets say I have Sears, its in the 6013, 5819 and 5063....but for some reason on Mondays (and only on Mondays) its all located in the FL4 section as it should be....great plan guys lol. I knew to keep them together since when I learned I was under the old system and you had to read the shipping label, i sincerely doubt the new hire that inherited my pull knows or does this.

Its like if the system can't figure it out on that truck it'll PAL it to the 2000 section. Best Buy, Claires, Spencer Gifts all have bulk positions however there are always 4 or 5 for each that get PALed to the 2000 section...which you know is an excellent idea haha.

lost

Yeah, one of my preloaders had an 180 piece bulk stop SPA'd to 4000, first thing this morning. The instructions I was given was it'll fit just get it in the car, DO NOT STACK OUT. Oh ok so if I have him load it all in the 4000 section and in the floor, just where are we going to put the floor 2 stuff and OOPS where is the 18 inch walk way we are supposed to have , he will be blocked out and wont be able to get to the air section, 2000, FL 1, 3000. Yeah ok I will have him load it now at 4:00 am so at 7:30 YOU the upper mgmt will have to figure out where to put the other 10 stops we can't get on the car because you wanted to put this one on first thing. How ever safety first!!! Not to mention the gun the poor driver had today pulling 180 pieces out from the front of the car... Great dispatch plan there...

thebrownbox

One of the most irritateing things about loading trucks was getting a never ending bulk stop with 1 of 1 on every package.

I agree about this! It seems like these packages I get for the mall truck to a Regis Hair salon always have Box 1 of 1 and I get 30 of the boxes.. how in the hell does that happen?

outamyway

This is how you don't load a truck.

0803070945-1.jpg

This is what happens when there's noone there to load it.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Man, today was my second day in pre-load, and I have to be honest.. this stuff is HARD WORK!! I have done landscaping, construction, and a few other manual labor jobs, but this is by far just as, if not more challenging. Just a few questions though, because I dont see how UPS does not just have people quit on the spot... My first day being in the center was yesterday, and they threw me on the line.. Never packing a box a day in my life.. I guess we are really short handed because they have myself, and two other people, loading 9 trucks. I load trucks 88A, and 88B, so i am not only responsible for that, but basically splitting the load off the conveyor between my side (the 5 trucks on 88, and the other side of the line 4 Trucks 86 A,B,C,D, which they only have 1 guy loading all 4 trucks) Now I am not the kind to cry and moan, I can do the work.. its hard, but hey, from what I see from everyone on here, as long as you work hard there are mad rewards... My question however is was I thrown to the wolves... The other guy on my line said he was in training for two full days before he hit the floor.. Also, we preload out of a trailer type set up VS the way everyone else does out of the red, blue, green, yellow, carts... Will this be a disadvantage for me in the long run?? Oh and to everyone at UPS... 2 days on preload, and it makes my day job look like a day at the beach.. you guys ROCK!!

Preload IMO is not the most difficult job anymore. Pre-PAS preload was definitly the most difficult. Granted, there are very few easy jobs as a part-time employee in the union.

In 2001 when I started on preload part-time, I was loading one commercial vehicle and splitting a belt busy belt. The truck generally had around 300-400 peices, and only about 30 stops. Most stops were very heavy though as it was mostly nuts and bolts type companies, more than enough 30-60 pounders and loads of bulk. This was pre PAS days mind you.. meaning.. back before the PAL sticky labels, preloaders at the head of the belt was required to learn all the streets, and what is split front/middle/back etc.... yeah all 400-800 streets per belt (at the time) .

it's at least 2x easier now to preload with the 1-9999 #'s and the PAL giving away all the goodies.

Regardless, It was nearly impossible to split the belt and pull the truck and further down the line, Even when I was good at it, the sheer volume and controlling the flow of the belt and the pull for the truck was overwhelming for me sometimes.

The upside- management moved me around after about 8 months of that hell. Once you hang in there long enough, there are rewards that come with seniority and respect.

sure you'll take the lumps, most UPSers have.

just do your best and remember that no one's perfect and a fair days pay for a fair days work. I barely hung in there as a youngster, 22 y/o ( you don't sound like a youngster)...so if you can handle the first few days, you'll do fine as time goes along and you adjust.

brownrodster

, because I dont see how UPS does not just have people quit on the spot...

handed because they have myself, and two other people, loading 9 trucks. .. you guys ROCK!!

I've seen / heard of numerous folks not making it through one day.

3 people for 9 trucks is typical here. I've known people that loaded 4 or 5 trucks every day. They will have you do whatever you are capable of.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My preloader loads 2 trucks, but he also splits. The loader across from him loads 2 trucks and splits. Everyone else loads 3 trucks. Our percentage is in the range of 300. Preload starts at 4:30A.

CFLBrown

I agree about this! It seems like these packages I get for the mall truck to a Regis Hair salon always have Box 1 of 1 and I get 30 of the boxes.. how in the hell does that happen?

The forecast will show most of the bulk regardless of the 1 of 1 scenario. I used to check the computer in the morning to see how bulky stops were going to be, there also used to be a printout at the end of the line that showed what stops were expected to be heavy. Good dispatchers help.

thebrownbox

The forecast will show most of the bulk regardless of the 1 of 1 scenario. I used to check the computer in the morning to see how bulky stops were going to be, there also used to be a printout at the end of the line that showed what stops were expected to be heavy. Good dispatchers help.

The forcast sheet that is printed out before the start in the morning? If so I get that for my mall truck, What I find funny is maybe it will say I will have 60 boxes of Foot locker but say brookstone is not on the list and I get 45 boxes of those. So I'm expecting foot locker and not brookstone.

So I really don't focus too much on it it's to the point now where I can tell within the first 30 min which is going to be coming down heavy or not.