3 1/2 guarantee daily or each shift?

blakerben

As a part time package handler I know I’m guaranteed 3 1/2 hours a day. But what if I double shift? Am I guaranteed 3 1/2 on each shift I work? Or is it 3 1/2 for the whole day? I worked 5:45 hours on my Twilight shift and then I came in to double on the midnight shift. 20 mins into the midnight shift I was told that all double shifters had to be sent home. So I left. Could I have asked to get my 3 1/2 guarantee on the midnight shift even though I got 5:45 on the Twilight shift? The midnight steward said I should go to the hub manager and demand my 3 1/2, but I didn’t want to go do that if it’s not guaranteed. I’m really just trying to find out in case it happens again in the future.

542thruNthru

As a part time package handler I know I’m guaranteed 3 1/2 hours a day. But what if I double shift? Am I guaranteed 3 1/2 on each shift I work? Or is it 3 1/2 for the whole day? I worked 5:45 hours on my Twilight shift and then I came in to double on the midnight shift. 20 mins into the midnight shift I was told that all double shifters had to be sent home. So I left. Could I have asked to get my 3 1/2 guarantee on the midnight shift even though I got 5:45 on the Twilight shift? The midnight steward said I should go to the hub manager and demand my 3 1/2, but I didn’t want to go do that if it’s not guaranteed. I’m really just trying to find out in case it happens again in the future.

I believe double shifting is extra work. So I'd have to say no.

blakerben

The midnight steward said he had someone from his midnight shift have the same issue. In that instance, that part time Sorter was told he could come in and double on the sunrise shift and was sent home about 30 mins into that shift. He said he grieved it and won because they told him he could come in and then didn’t give him 3 1/2 for that shift. I’m gonna talk to our BA tomorrow and see what our supplement says on it.

Mst3k

In my hub you are gauranteed 3.5 every shift they ask you to work, but you would get a better answer from your own shop steward for your own local.

clean hairy

If it is a seperate shift, then it is 3 1/2 hours per shift.
And overtime after 8 hours when double shifting if I understand correctly....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
JMO and not factual, but If you punch out and back in it's two separate shifts so I think you would get the guarantee. If you work straight through, it maybe different.

542thruNthru

Hub rat, not "pre trip" pre gun? That's what they call it. Digging irrgs out of trailers, setting up load stands, putting extendos into trailers, etc.

Here it's the same person everyday that sets up the belts/area. I'm assuming you do this everyday so its not extra work it's your actual start time.

22.34life

Depends on the supplement,in the south 3.5 hr guarantee a day.u double shift its extra work and no guarantee on extra work.however I have seen guys win grievances where they were called in and then denied work,so like everything else it's on a case by case basis.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Here it's the same person everyday that sets up the belts/area. I'm assuming you do this everyday so its not extra work it's your actual start time.
I do not do this everyday "Hey do you want to start early (supervisors set up the area, our local does not care?)?".

I'm a safety friend A G. Does the hours/minutes I :censored2: around in BEFORE scheduled count towards our guarantee?

Told to not file a grievance.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Hub rat, not "pre trip" pre gun? That's what they call it. Digging irrgs out of trailers, setting up load stands, putting extendos into trailers, etc.
It’s called “building set up” here & done by full time combo people . That includes opening dock and trailer doors, pulling irregs & setting up totes & load stands... priming the preload.