3 day ride with on road superviser

rod

Retired 22 years
Just keep telling yourself "this sup went into supervision because he couldn't do what you do". The secret is to convince them you give a :censored2:. For the most part it is boot camp---tuff it out.

oldupsman

Yea i know i just have to have thicker skin cause god knows this job requires it

You've got the right attitude there.

I just need to man up cause he already said hes has no problem throwing my butt back too preload if my numbers aint RIGHT

It's his job to throw a little fear at you. You don't sound like the kind of guy who gets scared easily.

If you did so good during peak, what are you remotely worried about? If you're good and they want you to succeed you will.

If you're on a training ride, odds are they have already decided they want you around.

CanOSup

One of them
Just keep telling yourself "this sup went into supervision because he couldn't do what you do". The secret is to convince them you give a :censored2:. For the most part it is boot camp---tuff it out.
Not many Sups start at as drivers then turn in a letter. Even if they did they passed the "boot camp" making your point invalid. The ones that did drive, one can assume became bored again contradicting your point.

UrFellowUpser

I just know that when i asked this Sup how long hes been a driver he asked me how old i'am and i replied and said i was 31 and he responded and said he has been doing this since i was 1 years old!!! And that right there told me he is a decorated VET.... He did not let me ride today talking about the dispatch was too heavy and he wanted to get it right and he will see me Monday. I want to prove too him so bad that i will be a great candidate. I ran the route today and will Saturday and Sunday.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Is it the norm for the on road sup to be so hard on these new potential FT drivers during there 3 day training period? We have a new sup and this guy is like a drill sergent. It was my second day so far in training and hes pretty gangsta

They can't help themselves.

You learn the methods, follow them to a tee, never deviate from them and make lots of money. You'll learn the best way to make a lot of money at this company is to follow their directions. They change all of the time, they make no sense and are usually contradictory. This is to your benefit. But remember your methods.

It's been 7 years since I've been in package car, but they usually give you paper records of the methods. These are your gold standard. Never lose those papers and ALWAYS keep every piece of paper they give you with new ways of doing your job. If they send you messages about directions or methods on doing your job over that little DIAD, snap a picture of it and save it.

Never take shortcuts and always remember this job is not a 9-5 job. If you fight that, you will take shortcuts and will be miserable. It's not a 9-5 job, but it pays more that probably 95% of non-professional 9-5 jobs. Do what you have to do get make seniority, but the second you do, settle into a consistent routine. Take every single unpaid meal. Don't run or rush.

And most importantly, know your rights as a union worker. Get a contract book and learn it. It will be your best friend. Pick and choose your fights. Don't fight just to fight. But you have to be able to stand up for yourself. If you can't do that, you will always be walked on. By management and other workers.

As far as your "gangsta" supervisor, see him for what he is. He is an insecure, wanna-be. Trying to make a name for himself. Here's what I've learned and been taught about clowns like this: they want to fight. They want to engage you, get you fired up and feel good about themselves by belittling others. Whenever they poke at you, whatever you do, resist the urge to argue with them. Stick to the known facts. Never get mad. As a bonus, people like this get infuriated when you don't play their stupid game. If you have to file a grievance, do it by the book and without anger. But stand firm.

Just remember, you will never please guys like this, and you will never make them happy. But that's not your concern. Do your job the way the methods say. If a guy like this tells you to do something you know is different from the methods, and it's not unsafe, do it, but as soon as it's possible, contact your steward and the center manager to ask about the different method.

Be consistent.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Not many Sups start at as drivers then turn in a letter. Even if they did they passed the "boot camp" making your point invalid. The ones that did drive, one can assume became bored again contradicting your point.

Boot camp. That's hilarious. The feeder sups go through the same kind of class. It lasts three weeks, I think. Then they ride with us and tell us their training gives them seven years of real world experience. Uh huh. One of my guys rode with me and told me this BS. So I asked him, "This training was in Chicago, right?" "Yes." "So I assume you did this in their brutal winter, with snow and ice?" "No, it was the summertime." "Did you drive at night?" "No." "Did you drive in rush hour?" "Not really." "Seven years of experience, huh?" "Oh yeah, definitely."

Uh huh. Then he would do everything he could do to find 5 things I did wrong during the ride.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I just know that when i asked this Sup how long hes been a driver he asked me how old i'am and i replied and said i was 31 and he responded and said he has been doing this since i was 1 years old!!! And that right there told me he is a decorated VET.... He did not let me ride today talking about the dispatch was too heavy and he wanted to get it right and he will see me Monday. I want to prove too him so bad that i will be a great candidate. I ran the route today and will Saturday and Sunday.
Go get'em tiger, we're all pulling for ya!

Dr.Brownz

Is it the norm for the on road sup to be so hard on these new potential FT drivers during there 3 day training period? We have a new sup and this guy is like a drill sergent. It was my second day so far in training and hes pretty gangsta

Play the game. Make your sup so proud of his new hire that he whipped into shape! (LMAO) These people are easy to manipulate, be smarter than some loser who had to become an on car supervisor.