3 day suspension because tattletale-amatics said driver didn't have seat belt on

QKRSTKR

If the driver roles just a hair forward before seatbelt is latched, it will show. Same when stopping, if you remove seatbelt before completely stopped it can show. We had a few guys that had problems when we first got it. Now I can't remember the last time anyone said anything about telematics.

I heard(don't know if its true) they were abandoning telematics because the sensors fail quite often and to expensive to constantly replace.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Seems like all the dirt and grime in the cab would easily cause sensors to fail intermittently. I know in the tractor I quite often seem to catch my shirttail in the seatbelt latch, which makes it hard to disengage. I'm sure that would probably show it wasn't attached same as a slip of paper on the positive side of an AA cell stops the battery from making a connection.

stink219

They wanted to give me a suspension for backing a half mile. After I schooled them on contractual language, I looked further into the "back". Come to find out, I wasn't backing. I was traveling to my next business stop but it registered as a back. The back showed me taking lefts and rights down tight one way roads in the city but the manager never questioned it. The funniest part about the whole thing, it showed my speed at 202 mph. I told my boss he was the failure to my proper methods and procedures.

brett636

They wanted to give me a suspension for backing a half mile. After I schooled them on contractual language, I looked further into the "back". Come to find out, I wasn't backing. I was traveling to my next business stop but it registered as a back. The back showed me taking lefts and rights down tight one way roads in the city but the manager never questioned it. The funniest part about the whole thing, it showed my speed at 202 mph. I told my boss he was the failure to my proper methods and procedures.

So thats where the new package cars designed by Ferrari went. Must be nice!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your boss know that Rhode Island is only 37 miles wide and 48 miles long?

packageguy

This happened to package car driver in Western PA......guna file grievance for driver tomorrow.......just wanted some ideas of what article and section to sight..........long story short.......UPS sez driver keeps showing on the tattletale-amatics report for not having seatbelt clicked......3 or 4 times a day..........driver sez he has it on and doesn't understand why it's showin' like that..........UPS don't believe him..........gave warning letter cupla weeks ago........gave 3 day suspension last week.............ideas??

i think there is something missing from this story, he had to get caught with no seatbelt by a supervisor. Because this story has no fight to it. So but just saying........

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I CONFESS! I 've been doing a few peformance upgrades.My Bad. I thought I was doing you a favor. I used to turn wrenches on a Formula 1 team and I decided to join UPS automotive for something more challenging.

brown_trousers

Isnt there language protecting us from GPS related discipline. I would consider this a GPS related issue as they cant prove his car was in motion without GPS input.

stink219

Does your boss know that Rhode Island is only 37 miles wide and 48 miles long?
He is too quick to call discipline without investigating facts. It always works in my favor.

stink219

I CONFESS! I 've been doing a few peformance upgrades.My Bad. I thought I was doing you a favor. I used to turn wrenches on a Formula 1 team and I decided to join UPS automotive for something more challenging.
it works great. Just change it to DRIVE instead of REVERSE. Thank you!!! Lol

A

anonymous6

if i were that driver i would ask, no insist, on a ridealong so they could see for themselves.

there is an art. about electronic data devices can not ( alone ) be used against a driver. human eyes must see the infraction. i'll go look at my contract book and get back.

A

anonymous6

i was brought in for 3756 minutes of idle time in a 10 hr day. when asked about it I told them that the math I learned in the second grade told me that there is only 600 minutes in 10 hours.

OK, you can go."

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
if i were that driver i would ask, no insist, on a ridealong so they could see for themselves.

there is an art. about electronic data devices can not ( alone ) be used against a driver. human eyes must see the infraction. i'll go look at my contract book and get back.

Same reason that traffic cam tickets don't go on your record.

stink219

Isnt there language protecting us from GPS related discipline. I would consider this a GPS related issue as they cant prove his car was in motion without GPS input.

The simple answer is NO.

If anyone tells you different, then they DONT know what they are talking about.

Peace

TOS
Yes there is! I deal with it all the time.

7. In the event that the National Committee cannot reach agreement on the dispute, either party may refer all outstanding disputes to the National Grievance Committee for resolution in accordance with the provisions of Article 8 in order to determine if the Employer has violated the provisions of this Section or if the change will result in a violation of any other provision of the collective bargaining agreement.

8. No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One time my bulkhead door fob quit working, and there was so much grime built up in the lock from disuse that I couldnt even get the key to turn. So...I went in thru the back door, opened the BH door from inside, and wedged a folded up delivery notice into the latch so that the door wouldn't latch closed. In order to keep it closed going down the road, I hooked one end of a bungee cord to the door chain, and the other end to the fire extinguisher bracket above the passenger seat. The bungee cord kept the door pulled closed, but whenever I made a left turn it would slide over about an inch or so and then get pulled back shut by the cord. I wound up with over 200 BH door Telematics violations that day. Never heard a word about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One time my bulkhead door fob quit working, and there was so much grime built up in the lock from disuse that I couldnt even get the key to turn. So...I went in thru the back door, opened the BH door from inside, and wedged a folded up delivery notice into the latch so that the door wouldn't latch closed. In order to keep it closed going down the road, I hooked one end of a bungee cord to the door chain, and the other end to the fire extinguisher bracket above the passenger seat. The bungee cord kept the door pulled closed, but whenever I made a left turn it would slide over about an inch or so and then get pulled back shut by the cord. I wound up with over 200 BH door Telematics violations that day. Never heard a word about it.

I love ya Sober, but you should have pulled over and made them come fix this problem despite the time lost.
Common sense has become an oxymoron and no longer has a place at UPS.
The only way we can change this culture is through tough love.