3 Lives 31 Days – The 70 Hour Week

The Real Jack RyanMI6

The one accident was in June at 10 am. The 70 hour week had zero to do with it.
Interesting, so if it was at 10 am what exactly caused it? So let me see if i understand your point, since a perfectly awake, and refreshed driver hit and killed someone at 10am then we can expect someone with 65 hours behind the wheel to be safer. Got it!!!

RolloTony Brown Town

Each of these instances are tragedies. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims of these crashes.

70 hour had little to do with these instances. I don’t care for the 70 hour rule. It’s a very long week. That said, It’s a federal regulation used by many companies and has been used by ups feeders and ups freight for years.

instead of posting without actually reading the articles.... If you feel that strongly about the rule then why not say something to DOT? Start a movement. Posting threads like these does nothing but breed hate for the company that many of us work for and plan to work for until retirement.

Box Ox

70 hour had little to do with these instances. I don’t care for the 70 hour rule. It’s a very long week. That said, It’s a federal regulation used by many companies and has been used by ups feeders and ups freight for years.

Of course. The crucial difference is that they’re not delivering 200+ stops a day during their workweeks like a package car driver is.

70 hours is beyond insane given the package driver’s level of physical exertion and workload.

Innocent people will suffer the consequences of UPS drivers working 70 hour weeks entirely. Even if only during the holiday season.

If you feel that strongly about the rule then why not say something to DOT?

Why go to the DOT with it? If the Union and Company can agree to limit 70 hour workweeks to peak season, they can agree to eliminate 70 hour workweeks entirely. It is not the government’s fault that the two sides have not agreed to do this.

Indecisi0n

Of course. The crucial difference is that they’re not delivering 200+ stops a day during their workweeks like a package car driver is.

70 hours is beyond insane given the package driver’s level of physical exertion and workload.

Innocent people will suffer the consequences of UPS drivers working 70 hour weeks entirely. Even if only during the holiday season.

Why go to the DOT with it? If the Union and Company can agree to limit 70 hour workweeks to peak season, they can agree to eliminate 70 hour workweeks entirely. It is not the government’s fault that the two sides have not agreed to do this.
If you say it's safe for peak then why isn't it safe year round?

Karma...

Each of these instances are tragedies. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims of these crashes.

instead of posting without actually reading the articles.... If you feel that strongly about the rule then why not say something to DOT? Start a movement. Posting threads like these does nothing but breed hate for the company that many of us work for and plan to work for until retirement.
....or negotiate into the contract

Karma...

if its that much a concern why not negotiate into the contract

RolloTony Brown Town

I’m not saying it’s safe for peak. I said it’ll hurt people even if only used during peak season. Think we’re already in agreement on the issue.

Why not be the one who spearheads the issue then? Run for BA. Start a political movement against the DOT. Have a sit in lol it’s not my burden.

You expect the company and the union to come to terms on this issue? That’s laughable. The teamsters aren’t going to fight that battle because it’s going to come with a huge give back. The company losing the ability to utilize the 70 hours will come at a price that you and I both know you don’t want to pay.

I feel for you. As I said, I don’t care for utilizing the 70 hour rule. Not because of the bitching I hear. Because it’s a very long week. This isn’t the only business where it’s used either. Maybe it’s a bigger problem than just yours and your package driver buddies.

rickyb

Our Sacrifice deserves and demands your respect and consideration:

Between June 12th and July 13th, the three of us lost our lives at the hands of UPS Drivers. Two were Package Car Drivers, the other was A UPS Freight Driver. Those of you with over 10 years of service we ask you, can you remember a 31 day period in your career in which 3 lives were taken?

I was 8 years old the two others were 61[ii] and 25[iii] years old.

We are asking you to stop and consider the impact of working a 70 hour work week on your safety and the safety of those around you. The DOT Laws regarding your hour of service were never intended for Package Car Drivers and the level of fatigue that is caused by getting into and out of your package cars 170 – 200 times a day let alone the 250 to 400 per day you do in your peak season.

Please consider the impact on our family’s and the family’s of the drivers. You see there were not just 3 victims. The total impact of our deaths was felt by no less than 6 family’s.

In Arpil 2018

“The widower of a 65-year-old woman killed in a crash in Wyoming is suing the United Parcel Service and the driver of the truck that killed her… The Driver was charged shortly after the crash with vehicular homicide, but that charge was later dismissed…The complaint argues the negligence of the UPS semitrailer combination driver caused JoelAnne Berrigan's death and asks for "damages far (exceeding) $75,000."JoelAnne Berrigan died April 21 from injuries suffered in a crash.[iv]

While UPS and your Union focus on the Financial incentives of this contract, they are effectively using misdirection so you don’t consider the other issues at hand…

1. How much will the economic package be worth to you if you harm of kill someone in year 3 – 5

2. How much of your pension will you receive if your fired for harm or fatality of another.

3. How much will you lose if you get sued for damages Far Exceeding $75,000.

4. Are you prepared to do time in jail if your charged with and found guilty of vehicular homicide.

Thank you for your time and consideration

8-year-old girl on bike dies after being hit by UPS truck in Double Diamond area

[ii] Delivery truck hits pedestrian in fatal accident

[iii] Man killed on Pennsylvania Turnpike near Berks County
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...es-ups-driver-for-negligence-in-death-of-wife
yes work regulations and conditions are not safe

rickyb

Details in full on each accident please. Impossible to analyze each unique situation otherwise.