3 Regions, 20 Districts

Hawaii50

Scott Davis is an airline man, he came from ll Morrow, and finally has taken control of the company. UPS has always had "too many chiefs and not enough indians" and finally an outsider has came in and straightened this mess out. As long as we had truckers running the company we had so many partners splitting the "piece of the pie" that only crumbs were handed out. With the manager of the north-south division of the east west etc etc partners slipped through the cracks and the foxes were raiding the hen house. Now people will have to perform to stay on the payroll and if you moved to management just because you "couldnt cut it" as a driver those days are over.

He also was in charge of OPL. Do you still have your prospectus when Davis was in charge of OPL? Look at numbers at see what he did.

12-31-2008, 04:33 PM Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer
From "Myron" I cherry picked the quotes. Cause I found some it interesting.

Early retirement package? Why again? The game is set up for as many people as possible to NOT make at least partial retirement as possible AND it's getting worse. Remember, 55 is NOT full retirement. It is a partial benefit retirement with full healthcare.

It used to be, UPS saved enormous costs by losing people before they reached full retirement. Go ahead leave before 62 take your stock you have enough! They begged you.

Now the age is 55. I have seen so many uncomfortable moves made to people when they reach 54 to 56 years of age it would make your head spin.

There are many age related savings UPS has been successful in adapting without a whimper of lawsuit. Who in their right mind would take UPS on?
They only promote people in their 30's and only hire people in their 20's. Please wake up and take a look around. Do your own stroke count!!

there is only really one way UPS can actually save money. Keep as many people from reaching partial or full retirement as possible. It's not like they are running around saying, "We need to get rid of old people".

The 1800 management that will be cut. I wonder how many of the 1800 will have full or partial benefits?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But this new task is contrary to everything we've been trained to do as drivers. We are beat over the head about numbers and you want us to slow down and make ourselves look bad? I read a post on this forum about a driver who was observed talking too long to a customer and was fired for stealing time. That driver was trying to get a lead (and of course the driver got his job back).

I'm an extremely productive driver. I never talk to anyone. I deliver and move as fast as possible never waste any time. So, now I need to alter that behavior to accommodate sales leads? Where is the training? Train me how to do this and maybe I can do it to your liking.

I've never turned in a lead because I don't really know what to do. I don't talk to customers. So now I need to start talking to them and ask them questions? I told the sales guys that if they want me to do this I need a script. I don't know what to say.

I have no problem say 'hey, large pile of fedex packages at XYZ company' to my center manager or sales guys. But I have no people skills. That's why I'm such a productive driver. I never talk to anyone. When I need to talk to someone at a company I feel like the nerd trying to get a date with the hottest chick in school. I don't know what to say and feel uncomfortable.

Therefore I never have and probably never will turn in a lead.

You are putting way too much pressure on yourself in regard to sales leads. A successful sales lead is the result of an awareness of your surroundings and a solid relationship with your customer(s). For example, you are at ABC Warehouse delivering a bulk stop and notice 2 pallets of outbound FedEx Ground. As you are making the delivery engage the receiver in conversation about the pallets. When you are done either ODS the center with this information or fill out a lead card when you get off the road. It's that simple.

I deliver to the book store on our local college campus. They send returns back on a feeder but have never used UPS. I sent an ODS and followed up with a lead card to try to get this volume (3100 lbs). We did not win the bid as our price point was not competitive (we were underbid by 1/2), which is out of my control, but my point is I submitted the lead, it was followed up on but we were not successful. This took less than 10 seconds with the ODS and less than a minute to fill out the lead card and two short chats with the BD folks to follow up and a chat with the book store manager to also follow up while delivering his stop.

You sound a lot like myself in the way that you perform your job and am confident that you can add sales leads to your already efficient day with little or no effort on your part.

CharleyHustle

the down fall of this company will come from within,we do to much in house fighting.

It has allways amazed me that drivers wont turn in a lead. I work late, My truck is full, dispatch is a mess. Weather I do or don't turn in a lead will never change these circumstances. We work as directed, turn in a lead, its not rocket science.

If I'm in BD, and seen over the last 20 years the direction we're going, there is no way that I could think that I've done everything I can to bloster the business. BD's work long hours, odd hours, have to put up with uninterested drivers and have to learn new inititives every mounth it seems. So what. Its what you sign up for. Everyone needs to man-up and do their job.

upssuckz

its about time they got rid of some management people. some make over $100,000.00, and us hard working drivers, over the last year with route cuts and excessive over 9.5 dispatches, worked to pay for them. Maybe now, things will calm down, but probably not, and the management will see the light, that we can't be whipped like that on a daily basis. Maybe 2010, is starting to look a lil better?

this is the problem with out company today. this attitude. congrats sir, you are the problem!

god I hope you are joking in your post.
NO ups has done this over time I'm thankful for my job but to a point. Just because management sells there soul to the devil dose'nt mean us teamsters have to do the same. We are the face of this company we carry the cardboard you don't we are carring you.

airbusfxr

The final numbers is what we all want to know. If the admins end up paying for spilled milk this will be a bust. The intent is to move underwork, underperforming, underutilized manning out the door, we all hate to see someone lose their income but in the end we have to many people that are not pitching in to make service commitments. Davis did run OPL and we all as investors paid dearly, but maybe he is trying to right that wrong that costs us all. Davis has come through for all of us and he will probably be the best CEO that UPS has ever had.

Phlipper

Tie, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but how does it look for people that are trying to get promoted? At first I was hoping it would mean that they would need to replace some positions, but now that it's here and I saw the ~700 displacement number, that makes me feel like they definitely won't need to replace anyone. Thoughts?

Do the math: 1800 mgmt cuts in 46 districts is around 39 mgmt jobs in each district. If we get lucky and 75% of the 1100 take the one year salary and leave that is still almost 1000 jobs UPS will be eliminating. The number now drops to around 20 or so for each district. These cuts are going to be huge! HR, PE, TSG, Security, IE are going to be gutted. I am sure we all have different opinions about these groups but they do perform a necessary evil.

I think that they should offer a buyout to the supervisor level, maybe 25 yrs and 50+. They would have so many people taking this offer they could actually start promoting again.

All, I know is that opportunity for me to advance in the mgmt ranks is basically gone. There will be so many mgrs coming out of the region offices that there will not be promotion in my dept for years to come. I am just waiting for the next "job stimulus" so I can move on.

Pacman

airbusfxr look up the word sycophant then enroll in a critical think course. Davis is putting the last few nails in the coffin to keep Jim from coming back and kicking his tail.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sycophant

In a modern context a sycophant (from the Greek συκοφάντης sykophántēs) is a servile person who, acting in his or her own self-interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons, or by saying lies against a fellow citizen for gaining a kind of profit. These actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect. Such a manner is also called obsequiousness.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Tie, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but how does it look for people that are trying to get promoted? At first I was hoping it would mean that they would need to replace some positions, but now that it's here and I saw the ~700 displacement number, that makes me feel like they definitely won't need to replace anyone. Thoughts?

Maybe in 5 - 10 years.

One thing I take away from this is that UPS Board finally realized that UPS is not a growth company. They have mired us in the stock market as an unperforming growth stock when we should be perceived as a Warren Buffet type of company.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The idea behind SMART PICKUP is great but here is what has happened again.

1. It is a complex service change for all, this includes call center, center team and drivers.

2. Once again what should be some detailed training turned into a 5 minute cram and ram training for all.

3. Now it will take weeks to actually figure out how it works and make sure everyone knows how it works.

Sorry it is what it is.

tieguy

Banned
There's definitely a culture change and how it equates with what Mr. Caseyand the intial co-founders worked for who knows. .

I think it an effort to change a culture that has been trying to find itself since we went public.Prior to going public we had a distinct culture that was clearly defined. Our business has attempted to change its culture many times since then.

tieguy

Banned
But this new task is contrary to everything we've been trained to do as drivers. We are beat over the head about numbers and you want us to slow down and make ourselves look bad?..

mgr: jbrownrod you were 20 minutes over yesterday what happened?

Brownrod: I stopped to submit a sales lead for acme which just opened up and is shipping 100 packages a day.

end of discussion?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Brownrod: I stopped to submit a sales lead for acme which just opened up and is shipping 100 packages a day.

end of discussion?

No, IE said it should take you 3.25 minutes for a sales lead.:greedy:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There's definitely a culture change and how it equates with what Mr. Casey and the intial co-founders worked for who knows. The new culture, established and led by a non UPSer will face some challenges. He may be accomplished in his field but there is and will be a severe lack of depth in people who know what it's like to relate to the people who ship and receive the product, actual packages, that we all deal with every day. Does anyone now know an hourly who has actual experience with sorting, loading, or delivering a package who would consider a management position? With the aggravation and compensation challenges that come with that decision? Not likely. The company rewards the valued contributions of the hourlies more than it does "the partners". The new "partners", if they ever exist, will come from statistical models designed to enrich those who have no connection to the original UPS culture and ideals.

I think it an effort to change a culture that has been trying to find itself since we went public.Prior to going public we had a distinct culture that was clearly defined. Our business has attempted to change its culture many times since then.

This is an "assumption" or "point of view" I have noticed; people are responding to this as if this is something the company is giving to the affected people. The affected people are being pushed out and UPS is not "giving" anything to the individuals. They are the losers in this program. If you still have a job, you are the winner.

It is all about getting rid of non-value added, redundant positions. The individual is irrelevant except UPS has identified the people they want for each position and try and keep them and terminate the less-desirable people.
UPS is simply doing what other companies have been doing for years.

One undesired impact is that this is one more nail in the coffin of the "Partnership". Even the one's left know now they are expendable and UPS will cast them aside if needed. Just like any other corporation or business.
There is no longer the UPS culture of the past – just a typical Corporate non-culture.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

end of discussion?

No, its only the beginning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Brownrod: They start shipping next week. Right now, I can barely contain the pickups that I already have, the 25 yr old P-800 you are forcing my route into is too small and my shoulders hurt from fighting the manual steering. Now that I turned in a lead and got more volume, will you cut some stops off of me?

Mgr: No, IE wont let me, I have been told I have to cut out more routes.

Brownrod: Then will you give me a P-10 so that I can contain the new volume I solicited?

Mgr: No, IE wont give me any new cars, they say we dont need any.

Brownrod: So how the hell am I supposed to deal with this new volume when I dont have room or time for it?

Mgr: end of discussion.

brownrod

end of discussion?

If myself or any other driver in my center were only 20 minutes over our managers would be slapping us high fives and bringing donuts to PCM the next day. Our time studies are so ancient and wrong that they are all but disregarded (you have to be in the 3-4 hours over neighborhood to get a talking to)

That being said I get your point. But my point is what do i say for that 20 minutes. Easiest way for me would be to have a place in the DIAD where I could type in some simple information and be on my way. I tried sending an ODS message once with info but the OMS didn't care or know what to do about it.

brownrod

No, its only the beginning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Brownrod: They start shipping next week. Right now, I can barely contain the pickups that I already have, the 25 yr old P-800 you are forcing my route into is too small and my shoulders hurt from fighting the manual steering. Now that I turned in a lead and got more volume, will you cut some stops off of me?

Mgr: No, IE wont let me, I have been told I have to cut out more routes.

Brownrod: Then will you give me a P-10 so that I can contain the new volume I solicited?

Mgr: No, IE wont give me any new cars, they say we dont need any.

Brownrod: So how the hell am I supposed to deal with this new volume when I dont have room or time for it?

Mgr: end of discussion.

Funny :happy-very: And probably true 10 years ago for some drivers in my center.

Our fleet is 100% new automatics. And my main reason I don't have any relationships with customers is I'm on a different route everyday. There are a few routes I've done for years that I've gotten to know a few customers well but it's only a small hand full out of hundreds.