30 years of service...big whup.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Working for UPS sucks anymore. The greedy few in ATL don't give a crap about anything or anybody except themselves. I wish I had made a different decision 27 years ago.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They compensate you at over $50/hour and they are cheap?
I think you are just a disgruntled employee.
I will have to disagree on this one!! a job well done or a pat on the back with an attah boy wouldn't kill his bosses!! 30 years is along time to spend with one company ,doubt many here now could last 30 !! cut him a bit of slack will yah !

thessalonian13

My wife just handed me my 30 years of service certificate. I am so happy to know our beloved company has spared no expense in showing appreciation to a valued employee. The postage alone must have set them back a couple of bucks. It gives me the warm fuzzies to know that our dear leader in Atlanta enjoys huge bonuses while I get a piece of paper worth five cents.
I would send it back to where it came from with the quote "keep it"

rod

Retired 22 years
I do hope that your expectations are met upstate. Because I received that very plaque in 2013 for 25 years of service. However two of my fellow coworkers who achieved 25 years early this year only received the certificate. Big disappointment.

Upstate is "special". He will probably get his plaque------and a kiss.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I picked my 25 year service award I picked a journey necklace for my wife. If anything our spouses deserve more appreciation from UPS than the company gives us. It takes a special person to put up with the crap we get dealt on a daily basis. Thanks for reminding me who is waiting for me at the best stop is proud of all UPS'ers every where.
I ordered the cordless drill.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
At my 25 year mark a few months ago I received a cardboard certificate. I understand the real plaque will come on Founders Day in August. At 30 years my only concern will be the limo picking me up on my last day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At 30 years my only concern will be the limo picking me up on my last day.

In our center retirees and their spouse/children have a nice ceremony, which usually lasts about 10 minutes, on their last day. They are then (normally) sent out with a lightened-dispatch to give them a chance to say "goodbye" to their customers. The part that I couldn't figure out is some of the children drive several hours to attend the 10 minute ceremony and then either head back home or spend the day in town waiting for their parent to get off work. When it is my turn I will not ask my kids to disrupt their lives for a 10 minute ceremony----we will have our own party at a more convenient time.

Does your center do something similar and, if so, are you going to ask the kids to join you or will you also wait and have the party when it is more convenient for all?

Z

ZQXC

The center where I work (note the absence of ownership) does nothing for retiring workers. They simply disappear, and a replacement is brought forward.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, that works for me.

Not me.

I don't want the normal ceremony as I have no intention of asking my kids to put their lives on hold to drive several hours or more for a 10 minute ceremony. We will celebrate at a later date. I also don't want to interact with the same retirees who seem to show up for every retirement ceremony----looking for free food?----I didn't interact with them while they worked here, why should I start now?

I want a handshake and a sincere "thank you" from my mgt team. I want to say "good-bye" to those co-workers whom I respect. I want to go out one last day and take care of the customers on my route. I then want to come back in, punch out and go home one last time.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When a driver retires in our center we get coffee and donuts and they get the day off. Spouses and families are invited and during the pcm one of the on roads says something nice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In our center retirees and their spouse/children have a nice ceremony, which usually lasts about 10 minutes, on their last day. They are then (normally) sent out with a lightened-dispatch to give them a chance to say "goodbye" to their customers. The part that I couldn't figure out is some of the children drive several hours to attend the 10 minute ceremony and then either head back home or spend the day in town waiting for their parent to get off work. When it is my turn I will not ask my kids to disrupt their lives for a 10 minute ceremony----we will have our own party at a more convenient time.

Does your center do something similar and, if so, are you going to ask the kids to join you or will you also wait and have the party when it is more convenient for all?
I will kindly ask them to skip the morning send off. I'll throw my own bash later. It will all depend if the kids are spread around the country or all living in my basement.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not me.

I don't want the normal ceremony as I have no intention of asking my kids to put their lives on hold to drive several hours or more for a 10 minute ceremony. We will celebrate at a later date. I also don't want to interact with the same retirees who seem to show up for every retirement ceremony----looking for free food?----I didn't interact with them while they worked here, why should I start now?

I want a handshake and a sincere "thank you" from my mgt team. I want to say "good-bye" to those co-workers whom I respect. I want to go out one last day and take care of the customers on my route. I then want to come back in, punch out and go home one last time.

I don't think you will have to worry about anyone showing up for your retirement. I have a feeling it will just be you and your management team giving each other one last hug.