350 Pieces on a 6 size car?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
4 trucks, ~300 pieces on each, 3:50am start time....

That all sounds normal to me. Peak jumps it up to 6 trucks, ~450 pieces on 3-4 (and they obviously rarely all fit) and about ~200 on the others with a start time at midnight. Can't wait for all that OT but they need to :censored2:ing hire more people. The 6-truck deal gets old so fast.
Why hire anyone if you get it done?

Cat in the hat

If truck gets over loaded . Just load the extras to the truck next to it. Leave a sticky note on drivers window. That way he knows .

I don't recall but its some place in the southern supplement that can do this.

Today was peak like I had 1208 packages with a 3:50 start time.

You consider that piddly lil number a peak number? That's my average daily number for a slow day. During peak I will have around 2000 on my four cars.

If they keep me in the same spot. I've got 12 drivers fighting over whose cars I should load. Apparently common sense is in short supply when it comes to loading trucks.

Returntosender

Seems like every pre peak season for about a week. Management blows out the cars to see what current operation can handle. Once all the data is collected the determine how much rentals truck and peak hires to get.

J

jibbs

Why hire anyone if you get it done?

Because I get it done, but sloppily. Extra work = less accurate work. Especially when you look across your rollers and see the dude supposed to be splitting the belt on one truck and the worker right behind him on three, with both of them backed up to the bottom of the rollers with packages but me clean as a whistle. It's :censored2:in' weird, dude, because I don't feel like it should work out that way but nearly every day it does. Makes me think a whole lot less of my co-workers' abilities/work ethic.

But anyways, :censored2:ed up morale = :censored2:ed up work quality = more time on the clock for everyone involved = UPS pays more money at the end of the day, despite saving a fraction of that amount early in the morning..... all because they like to pile two pulls' worth of work onto one person. I'm sure there's more to it than that but, hey, that's this lowly peon's perspective.

It is what it is, though. I'm all about passive resistance when it comes to BS in the workplace these days. It's less stressful than getting all worked up about something they're probably not going to change.

Also, I'm a bit jaded because I've only ever seen one other person in my center regularly have more than a 4 truck pull and that woman was a gosh darn superstar. Petite little thing doing more work (and doing it well) than probably everybody outside of unload and the sort aisle, so crazy....

Last edited by a moderator:

door10

Today was peak like I had 1208 packages with a 3:50 start time. My neighbor who has also become a friend had 1401 same start time (3:50) he also had a 6 size car the stack out was throughout the entire box line. I have two cages I pull out of (bottom white & bottom lime) I had 1 TP 60 and 4 Package cars finished at 9:15. Noob on the belt had 850 finished at 9:40. What a day good thing we get paid by the hour...

Starting at 3:50 with that amount in my center would not fly. When I was on top red I had around that number (sometimes more) and we had start times around 3-315. Guys next to me had to do the same thing. They throw more packages at the people who can handle it properly. Take it as a compliment.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm having a hard time deciding if this is a P-6 or a P-8. I think its a 6. I looks different in certain shots. Notice the old clip board.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
never understood that, anyone remember the p400 death wagons?
Oh yes. I drove one that didn't even have reverse lights. Those were nasty little beasts to drive, the brakes would lock up with even the lightest touch of the pedal, and the BH door was just about 1/2" shorter than I was, perfect for whacking my head on every time I forgot to duck.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Why is it bottom lime instead of bottom green?
If there are multiple boxlines, there would be multiple green cages. By calling one lime, one grass, etc. they think it makes a difference as far as missorting/misloading.

Last edited:
T

Turdferguson

If there are multiple boxlines, there would be multiple green cages. By calling one lime, one grass, etc. they think it makes a difference as far as missorting/misloading.
That seems overly complicated to me. What not an A boxline, B boxline ect ect

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
6 cubes were the most common size of package car when I started but they stopped making them a long time ago. I doubt there are any left in service. They were real dinosaurs. Think of the oldest P 800 you have ever seen. They were worse.
My first p c was a p 600. Wooden shelves and a pad lock

badpal

Oh that brings back memories. Get one under a fingernail and feel it every pkg you grabbed the rest of the day as you tried to dig it out between stops.