4 months in; am i rehirable if i quit to join the army?

jrh

Hey guys. I am enjoying my PT job as loader at UPS. But, it's sunrise so I'm only getting about 3.5 a day when it isn't peak. Instead of working two PT jobs I am considering joining the army so they'll train me to be a mechanic. I have 4 months with UPS, but I was told during orientation that I would need to be with the company for a year before I'm rehirable. Since I have seniority I am thinking I am already rehirable, especially if I'm quitting for military service. Is this correct?

I'm going to speak with HR soon but I'd just like to get the ball rolling on the forums to see what you guys think. Maybe one of you has done something similar? I've heard you can accrue seniority while you serve. This sounds like a great deal to me, as I'd be able to become more qualified while simultaneously making inroads with the company.

You don't have to quit. Just go on military leave. UPS has to hold your job and you will receive all raises you would normally get. I have seen a lot of guys go this route including myself when I joined the Guard. Just beware of any restrictions.

browner89

awesome. any thoughts on the guard?

It's a fantastic opportunity, you'll meet some great people, learn a lot about yourself, have the chance to educate yourself on the Guard's dime, depending on school, you can actually set yourself up to get paid to attend school by the Guard.

You won't be too likely to deploy, I know my old unit is basically planning to be inactive for the forseable future as they were one of my most called up units in the entire NG.

As far as job security, you don't quit, USERRA will protect your rights to return to work, as well as maintining your pay and seniority. Some employers actually take it upon themselves to continue your advancement while you're away. But that is entirely up to them.

Once you return your only obligation is to notify your employer and return to work within a year (I had a year after my last deployment but that might be because of my length of time away, I'm not sure if that matters).

rod

Retired 22 years
I should warn you that I was trained to be both a wheeled vehicle and track mechanic when I was drafted in 1968. What I ended up being assigned to do in Vietnam was to drive an armored personnel carrier (APC) for six months and be the gunner on a 50 Cal. machine gun on the same track for the other 6 months. I never touched a tool box in Vietnam other than to strip a few valuable items off a disable APC before we blew it up so it wouldn't fall into enemy hands. If you are ever asked in basic training if you know how to drive a truck--beware. You could end up pushing a wheelbarrow all day long.

browner89

I should warn you that I was trained to be both a wheeled vehicle and track mechanic when I was drafted in 1968. What I ended up being assigned to do in Vietnam was to drive an armored personnel carrier (APC) for six months and be the gunner on a 50 Cal. machine gun on the same track for the other 6 months. I never touched a tool box in Vietnam other than to strip a few valuable items off a disable APC before we blew it up so it wouldn't fall into enemy hands. If you are ever asked in basic training if you know how to drive a truck--beware. You could end up pushing a wheelbarrow all day long.

I think 88M's might be the only MOS who actually do their job these days.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I've never heard of no rehire if you quit less than a year in. I don't know any sups that would put you in for no rehire if you quit to join the military, if you put in the proper notice. I wouldn't quit though. You can go on military leave while in training. There are a couple guys in my center who only worked at UPS for a few months, got deployed, and came back a year later with another year of seniority.

browner89

I've never heard of no rehire if you quit less than a year in. I don't know any sups that would put you in for no rehire if you quit to join the military, if you put in the proper notice. I wouldn't quit though. You can go on military leave while in training. There are a couple guys in my center who only worked at UPS for a few months, got deployed, and came back a year later with another year of seniority.

When they hire people here they say they want at least a year commitment or they won't hire you, they obviously can't stop you from quitting, but I'm pretty certain if you do walk away before you hit a year or so they aren't going to welcome you back.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

When they hire people here they say they want at least a year commitment or they won't hire you, they obviously can't stop you from quitting, but I'm pretty certain if you do walk away before you hit a year or so they aren't going to welcome you back.
It's all at the sup's discretion. I've never been told to put someone on no rehire because they worked less than a year.

Hey guys. I am enjoying my PT job as loader at UPS. But, it's sunrise so I'm only getting about 3.5 a day when it isn't peak. Instead of working two PT jobs I am considering joining the army so they'll train me to be a mechanic. I have 4 months with UPS, but I was told during orientation that I would need to be with the company for a year before I'm rehirable. Since I have seniority I am thinking I am already rehirable, especially if I'm quitting for military service. Is this correct?

I'm going to speak with HR soon but I'd just like to get the ball rolling on the forums to see what you guys think. Maybe one of you has done something similar? I've heard you can accrue seniority while you serve. This sounds like a great deal to me, as I'd be able to become more qualified while simultaneously making inroads with the company.

Don't quit. You can go on military leave. I would make sure I had my 30 days qualifying in though.

trickpony1

....and get a withdrawal card from the union hall so you don't have to pay past due union dues when you get back.

Don't depend on them (union hall) when they say "oh, we'll take care of that".
Get a withdrawal card and put it in your wallet.

I hate computers.

Bad wars, good warriors.

Indecisi0n

I always wanted to drive in an APC. Looks bad ass.

km3

This is what they told me a few months ago. Couldn't make a year commitment at the time, so I ended the interview. At this point, I may be willing to make the commitment the next time there's a hiring event.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's a fantastic opportunity, you'll meet some great people, learn a lot about yourself, have the chance to educate yourself on the Guard's dime, depending on school, you can actually set yourself up to get paid to attend school by the Guard.

You won't be too likely to deploy, I know my old unit is basically planning to be inactive for the forseable future as they were one of my most called up units in the entire NG.

As far as job security, you don't quit, USERRA will protect your rights to return to work, as well as maintining your pay and seniority. Some employers actually take it upon themselves to continue your advancement while you're away. But that is entirely up to them.

Once you return your only obligation is to notify your employer and return to work within a year (I had a year after my last deployment but that might be because of my length of time away, I'm not sure if that matters).

Plus you get to shoot guns!!