401K Performance

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have now switched to the following contribution allocation (15% pre-tax):

70% S&P 500 Equity Index Fund
20% S&P 400 Midcap Index Fund
10% International Index Fund

Thoughts?
depends on your age. we have 25% in International. 40 in s and p 500, some in a reit index fund , some in a precious metals fund , and some in bonds. we are retired.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ver nice. I like the aggressive angle due to the good possibility of the pension safety net. Maybe as retirement looms I could back away from the aggressive indices, but I was thinking of opening up a separate IRA that would be lower-geared and just cut the contribution level on the aggressive 401(k) as I get older. I'm only at 2nd year progression.
since my spouse did not work and i was under the income requirements for IRA , we were able to max out both our IRA's and the 401k every year.

It probably allowed me to retire 5 years earlier. Plus now we will have 4 potential sources of income. Pension, IRA, 401K , and Social Security. Have been retired for one year and all we need now is the pension.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
since my spouse did not work and i was under the income requirements for IRA , we were able to max out both our IRA's and the 401k every year.

It probably allowed me to retire 5 years earlier. Plus now we will have 4 potential sources of income. Pension, IRA, 401K , and Social Security. Have been retired for one year and all we need now is the pension.
He'd have to have some type earned income to contribute to an ira.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It is OK for a non working spouse to have an IRA. If you are married , filing JOINTLY , and the working spouse has the "earned" income to cover the "spousal IRA contribution."

look it up.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It is OK for a non working spouse to have an IRA. If you are married , filing JOINTLY , and the working spouse has the "earned" income to cover the "spousal IRA contribution."

look it up.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I didn't think of that considering I contribute to my daughter's IRA, which she has to report at least that amount which I contribute to it.

Yes I was very surprised because I know for a fact my uncle cannot open anything in my aunt name and she doesn't work. However after I got to thinking about it I think it's more income limits for them.
The income limits still apply. But your spouse doesn't have to work in order to have an IRA. For years my wife never new she had one, because I never told her.