50 lb single person lift limit (Express) (On Topic)

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Old: "This is a hard job and you can get hurt."
Management makes job easier and safer.
New: "Management doesn't care and everyone is a wuss."

Oh well.
The expectations are not going to change, it just makes it easier for management to blame the hourly for getting hurt. If handlers at a ramp, or station, checked every package for its weight before handling it, then requested help for all that exceeded the 'limit', operations would come to a crawl. It could potentially eliminate next day service. "Sort went down 6 hours late in Memphis!"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The expectations are not going to change, it just makes it easier for management to blame the hourly for getting hurt. If handlers at a ramp, or station, checked every package for its weight before handling it, then requested help for all that exceeded the 'limit', operations would come to a crawl. It could potentially eliminate next day service. "Sort went down 6 hours late in Memphis!"

Dude, it's an actuarial issue. Settle down.

dezguy

Oh you mean like the safe lifting video where it takes 5 minutes to lift a box?

Yeah, try that on the sort and see what happens when flow rates crash and managers and having a fit about it.

Star B

White Lightening
I don’t think it’s about them having the balls as much as having no loyalty. We old timers had more loyalty towards FedEx years ago. The newbies are more about themselves than the “team”.
Well, their smarter because they know that the company doesn't really care about them. They saw their parents get downsized and outsourced because "Some indian dude that can barely speak-a-de-englrish is cheaper than their parents are. Who cares if it turns their personal life upside down... it got a bunch of CEOs big time bonuses and service sucked.

In other words, they are giving as much loyalty that they are receiving from the company... which is none.

I wouldn't go that far, but it would slow ops down. Plus, how would you handle, on route, a 149lb package? Can't stuff three people in a truck. What happens if you have a route that always gets "heavy" (50-75) stuff on pups? Is that going to go to heavyweight or are they going to give you a jumper all the time?

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a good policy, but it's very shortsighted when the max package weight we accept (non heavyweight) is 150lbs. How often do we get stuff that's >75lbs? Rare... but I do handle enough that's 50+ on a daily basis to make this very concerning on how they are going to handle this...

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well, their smarter because they know that the company doesn't really care about them. They saw their parents get downsized and outsourced because "Some indian dude that can barely speak-a-de-englrish is cheaper than their parents are. Who cares if it turns their personal life upside down... it got a bunch of CEOs big time bonuses and service sucked.

In other words, they are giving as much loyalty that they are receiving from the company... which is none.

I wouldn't go that far, but it would slow ops down. Plus, how would you handle, on route, a 149lb package? Can't stuff three people in a truck. What happens if you have a route that always gets "heavy" (50-75) stuff on pups? Is that going to go to heavyweight or are they going to give you a jumper all the time?
Agreed. We were promised the moon which kept us loyal. They haven’t been promised a whole lot.

bacha29

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a good policy, but it's very shortsighted when the max package weight we accept (non heavyweight) is 150lbs. How often do we get stuff that's >75lbs? Rare... but I do handle enough that's 50+ on a daily basis to make this very concerning on how they are going to handle this...
I agree with what was said earlier. They're looking for a way to get more boulder in a box stuff over to Ground.
A question for you Express guys: Could it be that they're try to reduce plane load weights in an effort to reduce fuel consumption? Clearly there's some kind of economic reason for what they're doing.

Star B

White Lightening
A question for you Express guys: Could it be that they're try to reduce plane load weights in an effort to reduce fuel consumption? Clearly there's some kind of economic reason for what they're doing.
doubtful. like we said earlier we're thinking it's pressure from workers comp due to the amount of injuries.

Customers don't care if it takes 2 or 20 people to lift their box. They just want it to get there as quickly as they paid for and at a good rate.

If they wanted it to roll over to Ground, they would jack the rates on the freight up on the Express side for 50+ or drop the max non hvywt limit from 150.

59 Dano

You mean, it's just typical FedEx fluff????

NOOOOO! Say it isn't so!

It means that the money they save from claims (injuries, lost time, damaged packages, etc.) offsets any additional costs that may arise from having 2 people to handle a package that one person would have handled in the past.

59 Dano

That and they were also told by their parents that they were promised the moon and look what it got them..... so....

...so they don't care and have no sense of loyalty, then complain about that they aren't treated well.

59 Dano

A question for you Express guys: Could it be that they're try to reduce plane load weights in an effort to reduce fuel consumption?

ROTFLMAO!!!! Reducing load weights WOULD BE A BAD IDEA. What is the point in flying planes with unused cargo space? It makes no sense.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
...so they don't care and have no sense of loyalty, then complain about that they aren't treated well.
FedEx is getting to the point where they're gonna have to beg people to work there since they go thru help faster than hamburgers at McDonald's. That said, yes the company should treat them well before they decide to go out to lunch one day and never come back.

XEQaF

Loyalty seems to only go as far as the dollar you can stretch. Loyalty used to be about respect and honor as a two way street

MassWineGuy

It’s got to be for $ reasons. What else? Concern for us? As someone else mentioned, 50 lbs. does sound sweet. I know my manager will love getting calls for all the stuff that weighs more. And if I’m following policy, I can’t be disciplined.

Purplepackage

Not at all. It means that once they realize they are being used and abused they will eventually find another job.

I just watched an almost 5 year cover driver who was exceptional at this job walk out the door. He got tired of always being the go to guy for extra work/always getting the :censored2: from management because they knew he could do it.

You can say this you get generation doesn’t want to work but really just want to be respected. But I’m bias I guess because i watched my kids go through it