710, 705?

Re-Raise

Number of participants in 710's pension plan is 20,472. Of this number, 6,532 are active participants, 10,519 are retired or separated from service and receiving benefits, and 3,421 are retired or separated from service and entitled to future benefits.

It is just like social security. People are living longer and there are fewer people paying in than there are taking out.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Why shouldn't we hold out for at least a $5400 pension?
Holding out for a $5400 pension is the reason many Plans are suffering. The contributions by the company does not provide enough (including interest on the Plan) to make these kind of payments. I fully understand Local 710's not having increased their Pension, and also I understand the need of the pension being larger because of the cost of living. But, the 710 Plan has been able to recover and return to the green status. After 911 it really struggled for awhile but is in much better shape now. With the opportunity that 710 has at this time with Contract still being negotiated, now is the time to ask for additional contributions from UPS. All the other contracts having being settled do not have this opportunity. Why push the 710 Plan into a "endangered status" and possible cut in pension. Just like the 401k, you try to stretch it out over your retirement. If you take large amounts each time you withdraw, it would go dry over a short period of time.

Local 705 passes their toilet paper unworthy contract with a 2634 yes/1300 no vote. 3934 votes out of the entire local. Disgustingly pathetic.
That's 2000 less people than work just in my building. We'll get everything we deserve on this one.

710 steward

Local 705 passes their toilet paper unworthy contract with a 2634 yes/1300 no vote. 3934 votes out of the entire local. Disgustingly pathetic.
That's 2000 less people than work just in my building. We'll get everything we deserve on this one.

CACH

Sorry to hear that. Both sides get what they want. The company gets a contract that's cash friendly and the union gets more cash to run their fingers through without benefiting it's membership. The rich get richer and the workers get to worry if they'll be anything left for them when their career is over.

upschuck

By your comment, I assume you voted "yes"?

TheFigurehead

The problem is that they make it too difficult. I had to go all the way out to the mailbox to get my mail, open the envelope, find a pen, check a box, put it back in an envelope, and then go back outside, all the way back to the mailbox, and put it back in.

What's with that? If the union wanted my vote, they could have at least sent a steward over to walk it back to my mailbox for me, or included a pencil to fill in the box. I'm not some sort of writing utensil magnate over here, or anything.

upsgrunt

710 had a conference call Wednesday night and it was "mentioned" that if we vote it down, our backpay "may" not be guaranteed. If that's not pulling out all the stops to get something passed, I don't know what is. They are making sure the part timers hear that crap as the backpay for them is about a twelfth of what they make in a year.

Everyone will claim they voted no, but I bet it will pass by 85%.

Definately time for a change.