710, 705?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Or perceive it?

One of the things a CACH driver told me the local tossed in at the last moment was the creation of a lower waged, no CDL required, shifting position at CACH that would work alongside the normal rate shifters.
The only good that could come from that is for someone who could not obtain a CDL or DOT card could still get a "feeder position". I don't trust the company on that "intended" wording at all.
There are currently 22.3 shifters @ CACH (I think I have a pretty good guess as to how/why that is; but it's still conjecture that I'll leave out for now). As part of this deal the % of 22.3s in the yard is supposed to go down drastically; if/when most of them bid out of that job, it disappears. The total % of FT non-CDL & 22.3 in the yard is supposed to end up being lower.
And yes, it should provide work for drivers who can't go back out on the road for some reason (like DOT medical).
The pay is halfway between 22.3 & feeder. So either feeders who bid 'down' to that accept a $3 wage cut (if my math is right)(just like a pkg driver takes a pay cut when bidding to 22.3), or 22.3s bid 'up' to $3 more.
Possible downsides that I can guess at:
  • Potentially there will be fewer 'shift only' feeder jobs.
  • Since they're not DOT, no 14/10 hour restrictions.
  • When a 22.3 shifter job "sunsets", will a different 22.3 job be created to maintain the total #?
Seems far more likely for 22.3s (and I'm not sure if pkg will be allowed, since there aren't any at CACH) to bid 'up', than for feeder to bid 'down'.

Edit: this is also supposed to keep the company from holding all the prime daytime bids for 22.3/non-CDL.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We can't even hold out for retro checks. There's no way enough people have the guts to ever strike again.

It's all downhill from here boys and girls.
I have a feeling there's a pretty good number of low seniority PT that have only remained with the company to get that check. Anywhere between about 1,000 to 1,800 hours, potentially.

Last edited:

upschuck

Does the contract require UPS to make these jobs to replace the 22.3's? If not, then why would UPS willingly pay more for what is essentially the same job?

FAVREFAN

I can't believe this garbage contract passed. At a time when the economy is cruising along and the company has never been doing better, we make concessions. Unreal. We sent a message to the company that they can do whatever they want now. 705 has never been weaker. I'm ashamed of Hoffa and ashamed of my local 705 leadership. Truly the beginning of the end is starting to come into view for Union power at UPS.

Atomic_Smurf

Concessionary contracts are going to be the new normal as insurance premiums continue to skyrocket by way of the Democrats price-gouging legalization healthcare bill. The only decisions our negotiators will have to make is where to give in next.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I don't get how its such a major improvement that 710 has a marathon negotiation and the huge win is 5 hours more vacation pay? Its still not as good as 705's vacation pay. What happened to starting pay which is $6/hour lower than seasonal pay?? Why can't they get some real issues addressed??
Thank you 710. It was announced yesterday, and be phased in slowly, but 705 PTers will also be getting 25 hours for vacations (not just their option week).

Atomic_Smurf

The beginning of the end was when UPS went public. That made more pressure on the growth of profit side.
We didn't lose anything to private sector profit. We lost it to Democrat legislation. UPS is paying more in pay & benefits then ever. The missing portion of our earnings is being loaded onto a boat bound for Boom Town D.C.

upschuck

We didn't lose anything to private sector profit. We lost it to Democrat legislation. UPS is paying more in pay & benefits then ever. The missing portion of our earnings is being loaded onto a boat bound for Boom Town D.C.
It is not all the dems fault, open your mind

Atomic_Smurf

Although I don't like the ACA, it is not all about Obamacare. Tunnel vision is not your friend.
At the beginning of negotiations both sides of the table pointed to the ACA as the cause of major changes & "creative solutions". C'mon & just admit the "party of the working man" screwed the working man.

710 steward

At the beginning of negotiations both sides of the table pointed to the ACA as the cause of major changes & "creative solutions". C'mon & just admit the "party of the working man" screwed the working man.

As opposed to the GOP?? They all serve special interest groups and green paper with George Washington on them.

scisector9

So 710 members out there we are the last ones left....

What are your predictions on the vote? Will 705 passing their contact help or hurt us if we vote no again?

As stated previously retro pay not being guaranteed was brought up several times on that call. Major bully tactic. Time will tell I suppose.

Two days of hell plus a couple weeks of minor hell to go.

Cheers and happy holidays!