8.2 hr dispatch stategy likely to drag down performance for UPS

Vacation

[QUOTE="Vacation, post: 3783840, member: I’ll never understand new guys.
But you do understand that they are willing to work the OT cause they are broke. $18 or $30 if he or she is a TCD is way better than $10 or $11 inside the hub being belittled by Sups.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what a TCD is we do not have them here in 804. My point is the longer you are at UPS your view of OT changes. The first year UPS rolled out the exessive OT we had 16 guys on comp. We only had days over 9.5 during peak. Then it went to every day all year long Longer days mean more injuries. The older you get the more things hurt. Less OT is better for everyone in the long run. Plus I would rather see my kids than the inside of my truck most of the time.

Do I hope the few people who really need the OT find a way to get some sure. But I don’t see that happening.

DeliveryMachine

2 days in a row under 9 hours here. Guess I’ll be coming in on Saturday. The old farts forget that the young guys make less on overtime than top rate. My OT is under $30 an hour.

UrFellowUpser

Im pretty mad i been averaging 7.5hrs a day and i cant go any slower and somehow still scratching the route! Im like wtf i need 30 more stops and the ot foh. My on car said this is what us drivers wanted and i told him not me its these old head drivers crying about working overtime messing over us younger drivers who just got in the game trying to get paid. And not to mention these dudes already making top rate not me.

UrFellowUpser

Yall mofos worked over 20 yrs under these conditions and got the chance to rack up and save mad money and can sit back and relax on 7hr days and whatnot. Must be nice

Last edited:

UrFellowUpser

On road sup talking about 9 hr days for the whole of peak like wtf. I look forward to that extra hours and bread. 9 hrs days are like a regular day or slightly more at ups. Then with this contract and these new 22.4 drivers aint no telling how that will go i miss more days being laid off multiple days of the week.

Last edited:

JL 0513

Im pretty mad i been averaging 7.5hrs a day and i cant go any slower and somehow still scratching the route! Im like wtf i need 30 more stops and the ot foh. My on car said this is what us drivers wanted and i told him not me its these old head drivers crying about working overtime messing over us younger drivers who just got in the game trying to get paid. And not to mention these dudes already making top rate not me.

On days you're going to finish under 8, ask if there's any other work. If not, use work code 06 to get your guaranteed 8.

JL 0513

I'm totalling .25 hrs OT 3 days in this week.

It's funny looking at the Saturday sign up sheet now. Lot's of takers including 25 year guys.

DeliveryMachine

At least in our building if you go to the center manager and ask for more work, they give you more work. Just have to be in before 20:00. They want to give guys hours that want them so they aren’t milking and 8 hour day into a 10 hour day.

jagger john

Totally agree, we are all conditioned to rush rush fight with too many e-regs and sometimes skip lunch or dinner. Jan thru Sept this year I've never worked so hard. Moneys great but I'm always worn out like its peak season every week.
you rush skip lunch dinner scabbbbbbb

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
you rush skip lunch dinner scabbbbbbb
YFKwTk3.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
I see the opposite. If they are loading me up I'm throwing the anchor out. If they lighten me up I've usually got a little more pep in my step.

Brownslave688

Why the 8.2 dispatch though? It went to the extreme. They could do 8.75 hr plans for example. 8.2 means a lot of guys are going to finish under 8.
You must have a ton of runners in your building.

Looked at our overallowed a few days ago. 3 guys under allowed that's it 3. 2 known runners squeaked in at like .3 under and a route everyone scratches at like 1.4 under. I'd say 90% of what was left was .8-1.3 over.

So 8.2 plan sounds about right here.

Brownslave688

Why is everyone complaining about this? All everyone did before was bitch and moan about excessive overtime. Yeah I miss the overtime, but my standard of living isn’t based off time over forty hours. It’s 6:50 and I cooked and ate dinner, threw a load of wash in and getting ready to kick back and relax. This is great. Today was the first time since Thursday I punched out with over 8 hours on the clock. Peak is right around the corner.
Unhappy voices are always the loudest. Even when greatly in the minoroty.

Brownslave688

I would say what makes work quicker in this case is having a cleaner load. But when i know I don't have to rush to make commits or not be out until 8:30, working at a more relaxed pace just happens naturally.
If you are rushing to make commits or to not stay out you've played right into their hands for years.

Don't make commits? No sweat off my back. Just make sure to cover my ass. Out til 8:30, 9:30, 10:30? DGAF it'll get done when it gets done.