8.2 hr dispatch stategy likely to drag down performance for UPS

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's what ups wants, 7 year driver, no pension to pay, young ones are hungry even at 18 an hour. Now James Hoffa sold us out with some language and no guaranteed 8 hours of pay. 22 4 drivers to deliver so come Monday pay actual.
You didn’t get language in your supplement that you are guaranteed 8 hours a day 5 days a week and you can bump a 22.4 into the hub so you can get your guaranteed hours??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Totally agree, we are all conditioned to rush rush fight with too many e-regs and sometimes skip lunch or dinner. Jan thru Sept this year I've never worked so hard. Moneys great but I'm always worn out like its peak season every week.
Or when you are at a stop for an extra minute your voice in you head is saying “this stop is killing me on time”....it’s pretty sad that we all were conditioned all those years that an extra 45 seconds here or there was going to ruin your day... where at almost every other job it’s not an issue...(unless your an ER doctor where not getting a patient breathing within 45 seconds could be bad...lol)

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
Maybe, I'm waiting when these supervisors/ corporate need delivery help. I'll go and take 30 instead of 15 and milk it for everything it's worth. Choke my check campaign is partly caused by the huge amount of money paid out from 9/5 grievances.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe, I'm waiting when these supervisors/ corporate need delivery help. I'll go and take 30 instead of 15 and milk it for everything it's worth. Choke my check campaign is partly caused by the huge amount of money paid out from 9/5 grievances.
They just paid out a huge amount here. They were freaking out about it.

Which I find hilarious because there was a 6-8 week period in the summer they admitted they were told not to worry about 9.5 just hit Spc. Sups were telling us to file and get paid.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This was my conspiracy all along. To get a reliable Saturday work force they will restrict OT m-friend.

I'm at almost 10 hours of OT for the week. Business as usual here. Only routes done early were the pick-up heavy routes so they can get pick-up volume in. Rural, resi routes still going out with 10-11 hour days.

Smooth stops and turns buys time. Having an empty truck where you can select a package quickly makes for a smooth stop.

I'm losing all my time to ODO selection. Digging through the load is killing my numbers. But no one is asking me anything about it.

Which I find hilarious because there was a 6-8 week period in the summer they admitted they were told not to worry about 9.5 just hit Spc. Sups were telling us to file and get paid.

That was us last summer. Had a manager say that he wished he could file a 9.5 grievance.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont

I remember that . Two faced as always. It's like they set us up. Look back at recent negotiations, they never touched our benefits or pay. Our building paid 1 million that's the rumor. I know a driver got 8 grand.

Dr.Brownz

Why the 8.2 dispatch though? It went to the extreme. They could do 8.75 hr plans for example. 8.2 means a lot of guys are going to finish under 8.

No shuttle drivers if all the packages fit in the PC everyday. All the pickup volume gets back early, probably improves efficiency there too. Having blown out trucks everyday causes alot of other problems and maybe higher UPS noticed that finally? I'm pretty skeptical and it will probably change right after peak and go back to how it was or 10x worse

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
No shuttle drivers if all the packages fit in the PC everyday. All the pickup volume gets back early, probably improves efficiency there too. Having blown out trucks everyday causes alot of other problems and maybe higher UPS noticed that finally? I'm pretty skeptical and it will probably change right after peak and go back to how it was or 10x worse
Normally I’d completely agree with you.....but these new drivers for the most part are all RPCD’s not seasonal. Meaning that come January 15th there’s gonna be a lot of layoffs. Problem is that we can’t have guys on lay-off while we’re having 12hr days. Heck they might all become 22.4’s retroactively once the contract is ratified. No one really knows and the union seems pretty mum on the issue.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thankful nothing drives me quite as insane as Orion drives you
Ten years ago when they installed Telematics, you would have been perfectly happy to look at a printout and terminate one of your drivers for intentionally padding miles and stealing time if you caught him driving right past stops multiple times.
Now, you pat him on the back and congratulate him on his ORION compliance for doing the exact same thing and making you look better on a report.
Yes, ORION does drive me a little insane...but at least I’m not a friend*ing hypocrite.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Ten years ago when they installed Telematics, you would have been perfectly happy to look at a printout and terminate one of your drivers for intentionally padding miles and stealing time if you caught him driving right past stops multiple times.
Now, you pat him on the back and congratulate him on his ORION compliance for doing the exact same thing and making you look better on a report.
Yes, ORION does drive me a little insane...but at least I’m not a friend*ing hypocrite.

The pat on the back is for managing to the report, according to ORION we reduced miles. Why get worked up about it.

JL 0513

22.4's better not be fed more hours than RPCD's who are looking for more hours. If UPS thinks that these lower paid drivers are going to get more hours than regular drivers wanting more in an effort to save a ton of money, there's going to be a problem.

JL 0513

How about with all of the extra routes in? Are we still running less miles per day than before the 8.2 plan?

Definitely more miles, a lot more. All the extra cars have to drive to and from area. That's a lot of duplicate to and from the center driving. Imagine what that means across the country in miles.