8.2 hr dispatch stategy likely to drag down performance for UPS

JL 0513

It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.

It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
I think they are practicing teytry to keep people under 9.5 so that they sodon have the pay out any grievances.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm now finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see prodction numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
So we’ve had this same discussion at my building.....too early to tell but most of us feel that come January 15th it’s gonna be D Day for over allowed. We’ve hired so many non-seasonal drivers at this point and realize that they can’t lay-off all of them while we have 12 hour days after peak.

Vacation

Becaus
Why the 8.2 dispatch though? It went to the extreme. They could do 8.75 hr plans for example. 8.2 means a lot of guys are going to finish under 8.

We had a 8.9 hour dispatch and it sucked. I’m really happy you like you need your OT. Many of us just want 8. IMO we have earned this break. I’ll never understand new guys.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
15792890-8870-402D-A822-C7D6F2F9CA80.gif

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Low stop counts are so that they can make believe ORION works.
Heavy days means people need help, lots of PM dispatching etc which makes ORION even more useless and drags down the compliance metrics.
Right now the corporate flavor-of-the-week buzz phrase is “transformation and technology” which makes ORION compliance the number they are chasing, much like stops-per-car was a few years ago when routes were getting cut out to the point where people were running out of DOT hours in the middle of summer.
Enjoy the light days while they last...which wont be for very much longer.

Last edited:

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Why is everyone complaining about this? All everyone did before was bitch and moan about excessive overtime. Yeah I miss the overtime, but my standard of living isn’t based off time over forty hours. It’s 6:50 and I cooked and ate dinner, threw a load of wash in and getting ready to kick back and relax. This is great. Today was the first time since Thursday I punched out with over 8 hours on the clock. Peak is right around the corner.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
[QUOTE="Vacation, post: 3783840, member: I’ll never understand new guys.[/QUOTE]
But you do understand that they are willing to work the OT cause they are broke. $18 or $30 if he or she is a TCD is way better than $10 or $11 inside the hub being belittled by Sups.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

This thread isn't about complaining about the lack of OT. There's numerous other threads about that. Read title and OP.
I’ll just have to copy and paste it into all of them. On topic with the OP I find myself working faster now that my stop count is about 45 stops lower, because I’m actually happy at work recently.

JL 0513

I would say what makes work quicker in this case is having a cleaner load. But when i know I don't have to rush to make commits or not be out until 8:30, working at a more relaxed pace just happens naturally.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Low stop counts are so that they can make believe ORION works.
Heavy days means people need help, lots of PM dispatching etc which makes ORION even more useless and drags down the compliance metrics.
Right now the corporate flavor-of-the-week buzz phrase is “transformation and technology” which makes ORION compliance the number they are chasing, much like stops-per-car was a few years ago when routes were getting cut out to the point where people were running out of DOT hours in the middle of summer.
Enjoy the light days while they last...which wont be for very much longer.
You have such a hard-on for ORION

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Production numbers already sucked, why would this make it worse?

I’m of the opinion that a happier workforce goes hand in hand with better results. I’m looking at my district as a whole (which I’m 95% sure is your district as well), and the average overallowed is DOWN month over month, not up. So something isn’t computing. I actually see smiles on drivers right now, could probably count on one hand how many times I’ve seen happy drivers since I started in my current facility.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I would say what makes work quicker in this case is having a cleaner load. But when i know I don't have to rush to make commits or not be out until 8:30, working at a more relaxed pace just happens naturally.
Totally agree, we are all conditioned to rush rush fight with too many e-regs and sometimes skip lunch or dinner. Jan thru Sept this year I've never worked so hard. Moneys great but I'm always worn out like its peak season every week.