9.5 opt in/opt out list already up??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The contract has just passed for a week now, and we already have the 9.5 opt in/out list up in our center. Anyone else have theirs up? Only thing I can think of is that they are going to have to look at their staffing now to figure out how many new hires they will have to start training in january. Looks like 90% of the center will be opting to keep under 9.5 for at least 3 days a week. Should be interesting.

browned_out

Well make that two centers, our center manager spoke about it at the morning pcm, the list was posted and by last night 6 people had already signed up to opt in.

J

JonFrum

The proposed Master Contract contains new language that says the 9.5 opt in/out list must be posted on or before December 1st. But the proposed Contract isn't ratified yet! It won't be until at least another few weeks or months. Five Supplements are still not ratified, and that means the entire Contract is still not ratified. It's not yet legal. We live under the old Contract until July 31, 2008 unless the new Contract, including each and every Supplement, is fully ratified and replaces it sooner. Since the posting deadline of Dec. 1st has just passed, I'd say a judge would rule that the posting of the list is not legally valid since there is no ratified contract language to justify it. If just one person objects, the list must be thrown out. UPS is jumping the gun.

For Contracts, Supplements, Vote Results, Info . . .
http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/news.php

Overpaid Union Thug

As a TCD should I be hoping that most full-timers opt to keep under 9.5? If I'm understanding the proposed article right then I'm thinking that if enough people keep under 9.5 then there is a good chance that more drivers will have to be hired.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It only makes sense- the more drivers that opt in leaves UPS the choice of more drivers or pay the triple time for over 9.5. It will be interesting to see how that plays out since all the grieving before for double time rarely if ever altered UPS and there dispatch- at least here where I work:dissapointed:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It only makes sense- the more drivers that opt in leaves UPS the choice of more drivers or pay the triple time for over 9.5. It will be interesting to see how that plays out since all the grieving before for double time rarely if ever altered UPS and there dispatch- at least here where I work:dissapointed:

true, but its probably going to be a national thing. At first I was going to opt out, I do like 10 hours a day. But then I was thinking that with triple time pay, I would probably be making more if I opt to do the 9.5 thing. It is going to be VERY interesting. You know most of the drivers will be signing up to opt in, just think about it....if every route was lightened up by a 1/2 hour(at bare minimum), and you have a center with 40-60 drivers....thats going to be a large amount of stops left over. Im sure a few drivers will be hired, but you know that they are going to be watching EVERYONES production. Hey, what took you 12 minutes from this stop to that stop, why did it take you 5 minutes to unload 40 over 70's, hey why did it take you 3.4 minutes to have a customer make out 6 cod checks??? Any for those who are going to be opting out, they are going to be working you 60 hours a week, guaranteed! Should be interesting indeed!

brownrodster

true, but its probably going to be a national thing. At first I was going to opt out, I do like 10 hours a day. But then I was thinking that with triple time pay, I would probably be making more if I opt to do the 9.5 thing. It is going to be VERY interesting. You know most of the drivers will be signing up to opt in, just think about it....if every route was lightened up by a 1/2 hour(at bare minimum), and you have a center with 40-60 drivers....thats going to be a large amount of stops left over. Im sure a few drivers will be hired, but you know that they are going to be watching EVERYONES production. Hey, what took you 12 minutes from this stop to that stop, why did it take you 5 minutes to unload 40 over 70's, hey why did it take you 3.4 minutes to have a customer make out 6 cod checks??? Any for those who are going to be opting out, they are going to be working you 60 hours a week, guaranteed! Should be interesting indeed!

I will opt out. I like massive overtime. But I'm unmarried and have no children.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i would like to opt out, but you know that old saying about stuff rolling downhill. i am unmarried and could use the o.t. but knowing the company i dont know if its worth it in the end.

S

Strike guy

Just wanted to say thanks to all the idiots out there who voted yes to this piece of garbage contract. Not only have you screwed yourselves, but all the newhires. If you think getting a 30cent raise every 6 months is good then you must have your head up managements ass!!!
UPS made record profits, so why were there any givebacks at all. Isn't there anyone out there with the guts to go on strike??

JustTired

free at last.......
The way I see it, your dispatch wont change whether you opt in or out. Those that opt in will get triple time. Those that opt out wont. The "opt outs" might go out a little heavier to offset the triple time, but with everybody restricted by DOT regs, it wont be much heavier. Heck...most drivers are close to the max now.

It's a joke. Opting out only takes more money out of your pocket and puts it in the companies pocket. Other than that, nothing will change.

brownrodster

But if I opt in and finish early they won't let me go back out to help other drivers...

If you opt in and are past 9.5 they will probably send help. I'll gladly help and make more money. My center isn't is bad as it sounds like everyone else's is. Most of our drivers get under 50 hours on a normal week.

over9five

Staff member
"Just wanted to say thanks to all the idiots out there who voted yes..."

Here we go. Another of the vocal MINORITY crying and complaining...

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

paidslave

Are all drivers this FOOLISH! Management is only going to tell you to get done before 9.5 hours....What is wrong with you.........? And when you do get done at that time they will only blame you next time if you don't. Lets face it,This 9.5 crap just doesn't work.....And for those of you who think you will get a lighter is most likely mistaken.........

old brown shoe

30 year driver
So far everyone at our center has chose to opt in. Just have to wait and see how well this works. Just plan on having two really heavy days and three that they tell you is a 9.5 day that takes 10 or more to get done.