A Message from Tom L

twnjrspc

leedhambanner.gif
[FONT=times new roman,times]Thank You for Working to Rebuild Teamster Power[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,times]A Message from Tom L[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]One year ago, we launched this campaign to rebuild Teamster Power. With the vote count starting tomorrow, I want to thank Teamster members for the tremendous support you've shown and for the sacrifices you've made to strengthen our union.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]From the beginning, I told Teamster members "I am the candidate, but this is your campaign." And you rose to the occasion every step of the way. You collected 55,000 petition signatures in just over a month to officially accredit our slate. When it came time for the Convention, Hoffa said there wouldn't even be an election and he pulled out all the stops to block our nomination and deny members a choice. He failed. Working Teamsters ran for Convention Delegate and won--and saved Teamster democracy and members' Right to Vote.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Our slate ran on a positive platform and stayed out of the mud, because the issues were on our side. But having the issues doesn't mean much, unless you're able to take your message to the members. Our campaign reached hundreds of thousands of Teamsters, because working Teamsters made it happen--campaigning before and after work, taking time off, spreading the word. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]I'm also honored to have worked with the entire Strong Contracts, Good Pensions Slate--dedicated, progressive Teamster leaders one and all. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]As we look ahead to the vote count, all Teamsters are frustrated with the low voter turnout. That low turnout is a symptom of the larger problem that Teamster members have been locked out of participation in our union. It's not enough for Teamster leaders to ask members to vote once every five years. We have to dismantle the barriers to membership participation and get back to involving and mobilizing Teamster members--the real source of union power. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]That will be job number one after this election. That's how we'll win strong contracts and good pensions. That's how we'll rebuild Teamster Power. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Thank you for your participation in this campaign, your dedication to your union, and the sacrifices you have made to build a stronger Teamsters Union and more powerful labor movement. [/FONT]

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
By now I am sure Mr. Hoffa is done counting the votes, so I am curious to what the actual (or Hoffa's version) of the total is. Does anybody know? Or maybe considering the low turnout, does anybody care?

brett636

Anyone know when we are supposed to hear the results of the election? It can't take that long to count those votes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I went to the TDU website, and unfortunately, Hoffa won by a two/thirds margin. Poor turnout, less than twenty per cent of members voting. Hoffa spent $3,000,000 verses Leedham $300,000. Leedham did well in areas covered under Central States, Hoffa barely won his own Local.

This a a bad Election year, Hoffa gets re-elected and Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker of the House. Oh well, you get what you vote for, we will just have to all suffer a few years until our next chance!:mad:

trickpony1

"Hoffa won by a two/thirds margin....."
That's great! :crying: Now we can all count on working until we are 62 with little, if any, representation.

we just as well kiss our a## goodbye.:cursing: