Access Points

JackStraw

FedEx has never used SurePost.
Their version is called SmartPost which, unlike ours, is brought directly from the shipper to a PO distribution center.
My point being that when FedEx discontinues using the post office to deliver packages, then UPS as well is to discontinue using the PO

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Access Points are supposed to be open until 8 PM so customers can get their packages after work. The one I have to send customers to is a shipping/phone repair shop that decided to change their closing time to 6 PM. There are a couple of UPS Stores that are just as close, but I don't get the option of sending packages to them.

dudebro

I have heard the penny per package profit for the last 25 years....just another ups lie???
Well, I looked it up on public sources. From the UPS pressroom fact sheet, 2016 saw 4.9 billion packages and documents. From the financial statement on investors.ups.com - 5.104 billion in adjusted net income. So - It's a dollar a box, if you assume all the income comes from boxes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We went live with our first two Access Points (UPS Stores) and were told that any residential send agains within a 4 mile radius would be sent there.

Is it normal for the DIAD to prompt you with "potential AP package" for every residential stop within the 4 mile radius? What a pain in the butt.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We went live with our first two Access Points (UPS Stores) and were told that any residential send agains within a 4 mile radius would be sent there.

Is it normal for the DIAD to prompt you with "potential AP package" for every residential stop within the 4 mile radius? What a pain in the butt.
Yes it is. Even more frustrating when it says potential access point, then doesn't allow you to send it there. Or, doesn't say it and tells you to send it there. Both are aggravating after you filled out info note and need a new one.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Access Points are supposed to be open until 8 PM so customers can get their packages after work. The one I have to send customers to is a shipping/phone repair shop that decided to change their closing time to 6 PM. There are a couple of UPS Stores that are just as close, but I don't get the option of sending packages to them.
Scratch... most of the ups stores want nothing to do with these access points... now what does that tell you???

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
... now what does that tell you???

It tells me that the Access Points idea stinks and these UPS Stores think its more trouble than its worth. My Center has had quite a few problems with them. I would rather send packages to a UPS Store than some repair shop or gas station.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I noticed a brand new shelf at one of our UPS stores that was right in the middle of their back area. It was taking up tons of room so I asked the owner why they put a new shelf there and she told me because of all of the access point packages we bring them. I asked if UPS supplied the shelf to them and she just laughed at me. In hind sight, that was a stupid question for me to ask.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Supposed to be. I have an apartment complex that I'm constantly getting previously sheeted access point packages.
I haven't seen any previous AP packages being sent out back on my route. I do, however, love APing followup houses, one shot deal. I tell them they can release UPS of all liability by signing up for my choice, needless to say I'm still APing their crap.