Added Truck Doohickies

PPH_over_9000

Those are recording devices. Don't let the company fool you.

lmao, I've seen a lot of people intrigued by these-- some to the point of panic.

Ain't a thing but part of the new loading methods that are allowing loaders to not have to scan pkgs.
It sounds like a dream, but out-of-syncs are ridiculous and their new way of detecting misloads in individual trucks will not pick up on an out-of-sync package with the wrong PAL label on it.

Misloads are ri-got dang-diculous since my center switched to these RFID PAL labels. Half of them aren't even for my center, but I still gotta report them to get the okay to sheet 'em up as missed.

YeeYee

If they’re just used for misloads then can someone explain the reason for it above the bulkhead? Last I checked, they don’t walk through the bulkhead to load a truck. Maybe to hold drivers more accountable for no scans, not sending in misloads, or even stealing packages. They’ll know to the second when the package exited the package car?

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
If they’re just used for misloads then can someone explain the reason for it above the bulkhead? Last I checked, they don’t walk through the bulkhead to load a truck. Maybe to hold drivers more accountable for no scans, not sending in misloads, or even stealing packages. They’ll know to the second when the package exited the package car?
Well the idea is that all packages must be loaded inside the cargo area, behind bulkhead door. So if a loader is loading first 3 stops on the cab floor, they'll register is not loaded.

TheDick

We've had them for about 6 months, the answer is yes and no. I rarely have a misload in my car but I have a bad pal misload in my car regularly.

The spa machine runs slower than the previous one so when the packages come through a pal will regularly get on the wrong package. The first couple of weeks I'd get 7 bad pals a day, now it's a couple a week. We don't run bad pal's unless it makes sense. The clerk has a bad pal cart
I wonder if the new ERA software has button for that?

PPH_over_9000

Yes, they load from the rear of the truck. Why put one above the bulkhead?

My understanding is that all those sensors act as a sort of triangulation mechanism when the PT supes go through the truck with their new wand/scanner thing looking for misloads.

Have you ever seen them do that? They legit just walk through waving their device around listening for an irregular beep. I'll watch them pull off 4, 5, 6 misloads and be like "Bet, my truck's clean today" only to find my first misload by around 11:30am.

I'm honestly just making a slightly educated guess with that, though.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of, but it's well within UPS' wheelhouse to further scrutinize their drivers.