Advantages Of A Feeder Driver Keeping Their CDL After Retirement?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Five years after retiring my CDL is up for renewal and I am wondering on whether I should keep it updated or just let it expire.
Technically I have a regular license since I did not get a DOT physical in 2019.

Want to hear from retired Feeder and see what you think?
Are there good reasons to keep your CDL current?

I understand once you give it up it's almost impossible to get it back.
I'm 65
Well off financially.
Can not think of any scenario where I would have to make money driving a truck again.
Unless there was a total market collapse that lasted 10 years or more.

Our home is paid off
We have excellent cash reserves.

I already was thinking of just letting go of the CDL but now am second guessing it.
A good friend of mine said I may regret it someday if I do.

I would need to get a DOT physical of course and the CA DMV says I have to go in personally
to take the eye test. Not sure by the letter if I have to take all the written tests again.

Johney

I just renewed mine, my DOT is due in July I'll keep it until the next time my DL expires then reevaluate it then. Here you can change to a class E and they keep your CDL on file if you want to get it back. The way I see it is I'll never know if for some reason I'd have to go back to work. With a CDL I'd get a job pretty quick.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I just renewed mine, my DOT is due in July I'll keep it until the next time my DL expires then reevaluate it then. Here you can change to a class E and they keep your CDL on file if you want to get it back. The way I see it is I'll never know if for some reason I'd have to go back to work. With a CDL I'd get a job pretty quick.
That's true on getting a job pretty quick. Have been offered many driving jobs from people who know i worked for Buster Brown. Everyone is screaming for drivers. A county job would be easy for me. The boss there has asked me 3 times to drive a county truck or snow plow.
I still have a lot of dreams about work for some reason even though retired almost 6 years.

drives me crazy.

Shiftless

All about choices!

One size doesn't fit all!

I kept mine till I was 63. Got it at 23.

Retired at 49 I'm 66 now and in less than 30 days I will have been retired 17 years.

I kept mine with a DOT card till I was 55. Then decided I will never drive anything that needs a class A (CDL).
I was done! I would rather be a wallyworld greeter!

When I turned 63 to keep my license, I had to go to the DMV (same state as you) and do a vision test. At that point I had it removed from my license. The guy says "you really want to get rid of this?" Without hesitation, I said YES!

I do not regret getting rid of that endorsement! Like you I have been approached many a time to drive and never did.

I haven't worked for anyone and don't plan on working for anyone!

2 centavo's

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
All about choices!

One size doesn't fit all!

I kept mine till I was 63. Got it at 23.

Retired at 49 I'm 66 now and in less than 30 days I will have been retired 17 years.

I kept mine with a DOT card till I was 55. Then decided I will never drive anything that needs a class A (CDL).
I was done! I would rather be a wallyworld greeter!

When I turned 63 to keep my license, I had to go to the DMV (same state as you) and do a vision test. At that point I had it removed from my license. The guy says "you really want to get rid of this?" Without hesitation, I said YES!

I do not regret getting rid of that endorsement! Like you I have been approached many a time to drive and never did.

I haven't worked for anyone and don't plan on working for anyone!

2 centavo's
Thanks for the reply.
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't think I will ever need it again.

Probably the reason he asked you was I heard once you give it up it's almost impossible to get it back. Have to get physical , pass the multiple choice tests and take a driving test all over again.

They told me just to get a DOT card and l take the vision test at DMV and I'm done.
But not that hassle is even worth it.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you don't need it financially -- give it up. A retired friend kept his and his phone rings 24/7 from people wanting him to drive for them.

CHEMA-DELMA

Five years after retiring my CDL is up for renewal and I am wondering on whether I should keep it updated or just let it expire.
Technically I have a regular license since I did not get a DOT physical in 2019.

Want to hear from retired Feeder and see what you think?
Are there good reasons to keep your CDL current?

I understand once you give it up it's almost impossible to get it back.
I'm 65
Well off financially.
Can not think of any scenario where I would have to make money driving a truck again.
Unless there was a total market collapse that lasted 10 years or more.

Our home is paid off
We have excellent cash reserves.

I already was thinking of just letting go of the CDL but now am second guessing it.
A good friend of mine said I may regret it someday if I do.

I would need to get a DOT physical of course and the CA DMV says I have to go in personally
to take the eye test. Not sure by the letter if I have to take all the written tests again.
I worked too hard to get mine and at almost 62 I will keep as long as I can.

rod

Retired 22 years
I gave mine up as soon as they changed the DUI limits and jacked the renewal fees up. I never needed it to begin with but when I got mine all you had to do was take an easy written test and pay like 5 bucks more.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I worked too hard to get mine and at almost 62 I will keep as long as I can.
I understand. I worked 2 jobs to go to truck driving school in Massachusetts. At the time it was $1200 ( 1980 ) which was a lot when you are making $5 an hour pumping gas.

Worked some really crappy jobs when I started. 11 western states at 20 cents a mile loaded and 10 cents empty.
Hauled tomatoes for about $30 a load. Lucky to get 3 loads in 15 hours.

Last job before being hired on at UPS was log truck driver at $9 an hour. Worked about 14 hours a day to support a family of six. And that was the best non union job I had in 13 years after getting the CDL.

That is why I was so frugal after getting hired at UPS. My wage was $18 and change in 1993 and I thought that was a fortune. Saved saved saved. paid off house early , maxed out 401k every year and basically lived like I was making $12=15 a year for years.

That is why we are well set and I retired peer 80 at age 58 instead of having to work until 62-65 like most.

Those early hard years we had are hard to forget. It was all possible with a CDL. I really don't think I will need it again but it may be good insurance just in case.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I understand. I worked 2 jobs to go to truck driving school in Massachusetts. At the time it was $1200 ( 1980 ) which was a lot when you are making $5 an hour pumping gas.

Worked some really crappy jobs when I started. 11 western states at 20 cents a mile loaded and 10 cents empty.

Last job before being hired on at UPS was log truck driver at $9 an hour. Worked about 14 hours a day to support a family of six. And that was the best non union job I had in 13 years after getting the CDL.

That is why I was so frugal after getting hired at UPS. My wage was $18 and change in 1993 and I thought that was a fortune. Saved saved saved. paid off house early , maxed out 401k every year and basically lived like I was making $12=15 a year for years.

That is why we are well set and I retired peer 80 at age 58 instead of having to work until 62-65 like most.

Those early hard years we had are hard to forget. It was all possible with a CDL. I really don't think I will need it again but it may be good insurance just in case.
Now was all this done as @Frankie or @olroaddogg

What'dyabringmetoday???

I definitely enjoy your yarns.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm thinking of keeping it even though the hassle of getting a medical card.

Was told it's almost impossible to get it back after you let it go. I'll be 66 in June.

quad decade guy

I'm thinking of keeping it even though the hassle of getting a medical card.

Was told it's almost impossible to get it back after you let it go. I'll be 66 in June.
Get what back exactly? Medical?

You can get a CDL like anyone else....no more, no less.....just get in line. And do all the stuff.....impossible? No.

66 means nothing. Now, if you take certain drugs(meds) diabetic, overweight...all that....could be tough.

Say, you are "well set"....why the concern? I thought all you early retirees are millionaires...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Get what back exactly? Medical?

You can get a CDL like anyone else....no more, no less.....just get in line. And do all the stuff.....impossible? No.

66 means nothing. Now, if you take certain drugs(meds) diabetic, overweight...all that....could be tough.

Say, you are "well set"....why the concern? I thought all you early retirees are millionaires...
Just some of us…