Advantages Of A Feeder Driver Keeping Their CDL After Retirement?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Righteous bucks!
There was a time I never turned down extra work. Always took overtime ( learned after 97 strike )
Now I turn down extra cash all the time. You can make a small fortune around here hauling stuff in a Toyota truck. I charged min $150 ( 1st hr) to take stuff to dump or move furniture or all kinds of stuff.

Now i usually so no unless I'm almost out of beer. The money I make usually goes to cars and truck and my shop anyway. Feels better to spend earned money than just use pension or SS money. I know that is also earned money but most people know what I mean.

I'm just not as hungry as I used to be.....

raceanoncr

I kept it for one renewal. Never used it. Thot I'd like to go back to where I started, driving dump truck local. No, don't need money, just loved doing this, is all. Nope, didn't and let it go the next time. Cheaper too.

Attachments

• me 003 - Copy.jpg
    me 003 - Copy.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 82

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I kept it for one renewal. Never used it. Thot I'd like to go back to where I started, driving dump truck local. No, don't need money, just loved doing this, is all. Nope, didn't and let it go the next time. Cheaper too.
That was what I was thinking. Probably wont need it unless a total SHTF world.

I'm having too much fun as it is now being retired.
Too spoiled to ever work again......I mean for another company. I like working for myself part time for fun.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I understand. I worked 2 jobs to go to truck driving school in Massachusetts. At the time it was $1200 ( 1980 ) which was a lot when you are making $5 an hour pumping gas.

Worked some really crappy jobs when I started. 11 western states at 20 cents a mile loaded and 10 cents empty.
Hauled tomatoes for about $30 a load. Lucky to get 3 loads in 15 hours.

Last job before being hired on at UPS was log truck driver at $9 an hour. Worked about 14 hours a day to support a family of six. And that was the best non union job I had in 13 years after getting the CDL.

That is why I was so frugal after getting hired at UPS. My wage was $18 and change in 1993 and I thought that was a fortune. Saved saved saved. paid off house early , maxed out 401k every year and basically lived like I was making $12=15 a year for years.

That is why we are well set and I retired peer 80 at age 58 instead of having to work until 62-65 like most.

Those early hard years we had are hard to forget. It was all possible with a CDL. I really don't think I will need it again but it may be good insurance just in case.
Your first post you said you are 65 and retired five years ago. (Went on to say almost six). That would make you 60 when you retired. This post you say you were 58. You are full of whale poop. Try to keep stories straight.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had to get a Class B CDL when I started driving package car because my first route was in an antique Ford cab over straight truck with air brakes. I still have it because it is cheaper to renew in the state of Georgia. That's the only reason I still have it. I have no desire to drive any kind of truck or bus anymore. The downside of having one is the DUI laws in my state

Johney

I had to get a Class B CDL when I started driving package car because my first route was in an antique Ford cab over straight truck with air brakes. I still have it because it is cheaper to renew in the state of Georgia. That's the only reason I still have it. I have no desire to drive any kind of truck or bus anymore. The downside of having one is the DUI laws in my state
.04 here if you have a CDL. No matter what you're driving.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ya . in Cali it's .04 for professional drivers and .08 for car drivers.
When I had the CDL I would not drive for 8 hours after just one beer. Even though they say 4 hours. Didnt wanna take any chances. Now with regular license I wait about 4 hours.

Usually I dont have a beer until before dinner and don't go anywhere at all.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
ya . in Cali it's .04 for professional drivers and .08 for car drivers.
When I had the CDL I would not drive for 8 hours after just one beer. Even though they say 4 hours. Didnt wanna take any chances. Now with regular license I wait about 4 hours.

Usually I dont have a beer until before dinner and don't go anywhere at all.
Nobody cares

Junkguy

That's true on getting a job pretty quick. Have been offered many driving jobs from people who know i worked for Buster Brown. Everyone is screaming for drivers. A county job would be easy for me. The boss there has asked me 3 times to drive a county truck or snow plow.
I still have a lot of dreams about work for some reason even though retired almost 6 years.

drives me crazy.
I know this is old post but I retired in 2008 and still have the craziest dreams almost every week.

Shiftless

WOW! I retired 2005. First year I would occasionally have a dream. I may have had one or two past the first year.

Hell I don't even look at local feeder trucks going down the road as NO ONE looks familiar anymore!

I must admit the first years were fun, I would go by on my Motorcycle or open up the Sun Roof and flip guys off!

Then it became more fingers to strangers, so I didn't want to hurt the younger generations emotions so I dialed it back.

Everyone knows, If your a friend of mine your gettin the finger ,,!,,

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The dreams come and go. the first 18 months out none.
Then a couple once in awhile
Then after about 4 years out some more.
Then at 6-7 years out a TON.......it was driving me crazy. Most of the dreams were the same. Standing at dispatch waiting for a truck or load or thinking I was gonna be fired. In real life I was almost fired a couple times.

The last couple months none.
Now they will come back thinking about it.

The dreams come and go. the first 18 months out none.
Then a couple once in awhile
Then after about 4 years out some more.
Then at 6-7 years out a TON.......it was driving me crazy. Most of the dreams were the same. Standing at dispatch waiting for a truck or load or thinking I was gonna be fired. In real life I was almost fired a couple times.

The last couple months none.
Now they will come back thinking about it.
Thank God they don't ban people on Brown Cafe for lying.....

Last edited: