Advice from shop stewards.. more detailed version

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In my experience I have found UPS management and the union weak in the area of looking after the employees during the injury investigation report process.

Simple solution: 1.State contractual right to union representation during interview: Article 4 of Master CBA.

2. Have employee read Weingarten rights statement to management and notify management that employee will not continue the interview until representation is present.(say nothing, answer nothing about the incident).
3. Shop steward go back to work area and wait to be called back, if done correctly, you will be called back.

I

To me I feel the wiengarten rights are intended for issues involving discipline at the work place. To me this is first an injured employee who they will need to pull aside and do an investigation. If at that time the injured employee feels he needs to be protected by the wiengarten rights, then he has that right.

Since when....

Does the company have a contactual right to infer discipline,

because of an "on the job" injury ??

-Bug-

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
To me I feel the wiengarten rights are intended for issues involving discipline at the work place. To me this is first an injured employee who they will need to pull aside and do an investigation. If at that time the injured employee feels he needs to be protected by the wiengarten rights, then he has that right.
It seems to be a management rule not an exception that an injury investigation starts immediately in an accusatory manner blaming the employee is some way for getting hurt. I have seen it many times I think it sage advice to call for a steward or roll out wiengarten.
The one exception I know off is a personal one. I recently had a serious injury and was transported via ambulance to one of the scariest emergency wards around. My full time sup came to the hospital and stayed with me the entire time as they yes, stitched my bloody head wound in the hallway. That guy (sup)is an ace in my book one of the best!
PS. The investigation started the next day by phone and later on the job by other management people but in all honesty I never felt threatened in any way or accused of negligence. I did not have much confidence in the workman's comp doctor though.

Last edited:

vvv

I thrive on that my friend. I'm not here to make friends......I'm here solely to make money.....nothing else. Very simply the more they hate you it's clear evidence that you are doing your job correctly.
Proper methods = longer time to task = more money for you = bigger headache for boss.

Oh well.....

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Just remember man. It's a thankless job and not matter what you do, you will always have someone that thinks you suck at it.

It's usually the people with attendance problems by the way. ;)
I know people won't be grateful all the time. But the guy we have now is spineless. Doesn't stand up to anyone. Doesn't help anyone.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Here it is a cheery level headed but unsuspecting disposition and the willingness to wear 2 targets on you body ready to receive darts front and back both from management and employees alike. It you are up to the task and fulfill the above requirements "tag you're it" ! And once in awhile you help someone who really needs it.