advice from shop stewards..

Buru

An incident occurred in a office with a training manager and a steward.. A safety co-chair (hourly position) witnessed this. The training manager is telling the hourly they have to write a corporate statement about the incident. Even threatening to remove her from her position if she does not. The hourly would like to remain neutral. Can the training manager remove her from her position? More importantly, can they force an hourly to write a corporate statement?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Maybe not the training manager, but a hub or center manager can remove her from her safety co-chair position.

Disagreed. Article 18 is explicit in stating that the local union shall appoint the union participants on the safety committees. The union members then select the co chair; management has absolutely no right to tell us who sits on the committee or co chairs.

"Corporate statement" sounds pretty vague but Article 18 also states that no bargaining unit members shall be identified in any safety paperwork done by the committee or co chair. Is this related to an accident or a professional conduct issue?

Usually the problem with the commitee/CHSP co chair are them being filled with rats not people unwilling to write a statement for the company.

Agreed with Mug on the statement. The company can never compel a statement from an hourly but neither can an hourly seek to impede an investigation. Keep in mind that no one has ever been fired for simply saying, "I don't remember."

Last edited:

10 point

An incident occurred in a office with a training manager and a steward.. A safety co-chair (hourly position) witnessed this. The training manager is telling the hourly they have to write a corporate statement about the incident. Even threatening to remove her from her position if she does not. The hourly would like to remain neutral. Can the training manager remove her from her position? More importantly, can they force an hourly to write a corporate statement?
Can you be more specific about the details of this "meeting" and are you the co chair or steward and who is being threatened to be removed?

10 point

To most normal people it does.

Why do you feel the need to hide behind the contract unless you have done something wrong?
You don't even know the issue but you are ready to side with management.
Are you saying that normal people agree with you? That's presumptuous on your part.
And what's "hiding behind the contract" got to do with writing a statement? Being employed under a CBA has nothing to do with choosing to write statements. You have an obsession about not "looking" or being portrayed as an hourly employed under a CBA. Are you embarrassed to be in a union but you enjoy the benefits thereof?
That's not normal if you really want to discuss "normal".

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
"I am writing the following statement under duress due to Supervisor X threatening to remove me from my position if I refuse to comply: I do not recall.

signed,
104Feeder"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please show me where I said this.

All I said is that it should be an issue to sit down and write a statement recalling the events that led up to the incident.

Hesitation on his/her part to do so would lead me (or any other normal person) to believe that he/she is trying to hide or cover something up.

10 point

Read the OP's post Einstein. The "Training manager" was requiring the hourly to write a (voluntary) statement. TTKU
Therefore...
Are you saying that normal people agree with you? That's presumptuous on your part.
And what's "hiding behind the contract" got to do with writing a statement? Being employed under a CBA has nothing to do with choosing to write statements. You have an obsession about not "looking" or being portrayed as an hourly employed under a CBA. Are you embarrassed to be in a union but you enjoy the benefits thereof?
That's not normal if you really want to discuss "normal".
And.....
Unless he/she is trying to hide something, what would be the harm in writing a statement documenting what led up to the incident?
Please show me where I said this.

All I said is that it should be an issue to sit down and write a statement recalling the events that led up to the incident.

Hesitation on his/her part to do so would lead me (or any other normal person) to believe that he/she is trying to hide or cover something up.
Ok, what's next?...
Hiding Behind the Contract 101
Hiding behind management 101
"I am writing the following statement under duress due to Supervisor X threatening to remove me from my position if I refuse to comply: I do not recall.

signed,
104Feeder"
Yep.
Cuz it makes sense?
You've got the corner on what makes sense?:villagewrong: