advice from shop stewards..

LeadBelly

Banned
Article 18 states that safety committee members will be approved by the local union, not appointed by the local union. Big difference.

In other words, the local union can deny an employee that UPS may have selected to be on the safety committee. The local union cannot tell UPS who must be on the committee, if the company does not want that particular member on it.

I will agree that there may be some locals that do appoint the members, but that is not what the contract states.

We can agree to disagree on that one. We have final say on who represents the union in my local. I've also been told that my local is a rather good one so I guess you might have some kind of point. The bottom line is what's right is right. You officers have a right to pick each and every member of the chsp committee. They can also eliminate it al together. I've seen this practice happen for years.

LeadBelly

Banned
Good points!, also if the company was to try to remove the co chair the Union could give notice to cease having a safety committee altogether. I learned long ago these are our safety committees not the companies. The company can also give notice to discontinue the safety committee, which I've never seen. The union safety co chair is appointed by the members, not management. The other safety committee members can be removed by the union. I always told my guys to dictate the agenda, you have some power.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
So when a steward asks you for information concerning a pending grievance, you just write up factual statements even if your superiors were implicated in wrongdoing? Sure you do.

First, the company would frown (at a minimum) on me giving you information concerning a pending grievance. I hope I don't have to further explain that;
and Second - factual statements will always be written by me regardless of any backlash from my "superiors".
I agree that there are people that lie and connive for what they think their "superiors" expect or even dictate, but not me nor many other management people that I know.

UPS does not control my integrity. Oh, and I have a good size set...

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Then....
Bring your own "witness" if it's that important.

A "back story"? Always?
Ok.

Sorry, you'll have to explain the 1st part.
and....Yes, there is always a "back story".
If you don't know what I mean: Something has always transpired that results in the outcome. Maybe a year ago, 6 months ago or immediately before whatever the OP describes occurred.... That is what I referring to as the "back story"

Yes....Always.

over9five

Staff member
We can agree to disagree on that one. We have final say on who represents the union in my local. I've also been told that my local is a rather good one so I guess you might have some kind of point. The bottom line is what's right is right. You officers have a right to pick each and every member of the chsp committee. They can also eliminate it all together. I've seen this practice happen for years.

They've done that here several times. Never know if we have a safety committee this week or not!
I am NOT a fan of safety committees. I've seen too much favoritism bestowed on these guys over the years.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We can agree to disagree on that one.

Agreed.

We have final say on who represents the union in my local.

Mine also.

I've also been told that my local is a rather good one so I guess you might have some kind of point.

Mine also.

You officers have a right to pick each and every member of the chsp committee.

Sort of. The local does not come in and pick members and put the safety committee together. But, any employee wanting to be on the safety committee, or any employee UPS wants on the safety committee, has to be approved by the local.

They can also eliminate it al together.

Yes they can.

10 point

Agreed.

Mine also.

Mine also.

Sort of. The local does not come in and pick members and put the safety committee together. But, any employee wanting to be on the safety committee, or any employee UPS wants on the safety committee, has to be approved by the local.

Yes they can.
I believe the meaning of "pick" as applied here is like choosing which members to approve to fill the committee with.

If there's five positions and six members apply the local gets to pick which five will be on the committee. If they don't want three out of the six they can also pick the ones they will approve out of the six, etc.
Out of a list of names they pick the members they approve.

10 point

Sorry, you'll have to explain the 1st part.
and....Yes, there is always a "back story".
If you don't know what I mean: Something has always transpired that results in the outcome. Maybe a year ago, 6 months ago or immediately before whatever the OP describes occurred.... That is what I referring to as the "back story"

Yes....Always.
Disagree.... And ALWAYS will.

5habits100

Agreed.

Mine also.

Mine also.

Yes they can.
You can interpret the contract how you like.
If the company doesn't put the bargaining unit member(s) we tell them to they won't have a safety committee in our local.
The NLRB will back that up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can interpret the contract how you like.
If the company doesn't put the bargaining unit member(s) we tell them to they won't have a safety committee in our local.
The NLRB will back that up.

There is no interpretation involved. The contract is clear. It says approve, not appoint.

Now, I agree. The end result is the same. But getting to the end result is different than what Lead said.

It may be that way in his local, and maybe yours, but that is not the norm and not what the contract clearly says.

The local does not come in and tell UPS that John, Paul, George and Ringo will comprise the safety committee.

UPS inquires as to who wants to be on the safety committee, or John, Paul, George and Ringo tell UPS that they would like to be part of the safety committee.

The local now approves whether all of these employees, some of them or none of them will be on the safety committee.

Again, the end result may be the same as what you describe, but getting to that end result is not as you described.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I believe the meaning of "pick" as applied here is like choosing which members to approve to fill the committee with.

If there's five positions and six members apply the local gets to pick which five will be on the committee. If they don't want three out of the six they can also pick the ones they will approve out of the six, etc.
Out of a list of names they pick the members they approve.

Exactly.

It may be semantics, and the end result may be the same, but the process to get to the end result is not the local coming in and telling UPS that the safety committee will be John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Anyone who wants to be on the safety committee informs UPS, not the local. The local then either approves them or denies them.

5habits100

There is no interpretation involved. The contract is clear. It says approve, not appoint.

Now, I agree. The end result is the same. But getting to the end result is different than what Lead said.

It may be that way in his local, and maybe yours, but that is not the norm and not what the contract clearly says.

The local does not come in and tell UPS that John, Paul, George and Ringo will comprise the safety committee.

UPS inquires as to who wants to be on the safety committee, or John, Paul, George and Ringo tell UPS that they would like to be part of the safety committee.

The local now approves whether all of these employees, some of them or none of them will be on the safety committee.

Again, the end result may be the same as what you describe, but getting to that end result is not as you described.
You are wrong and you can read it how you like. The local has every right to tell them who is on the safety committee not approve who they pick. That is if your local wants to do it that way.

Inthegame

Exactly.

It may be semantics, and the end result may be the same, but the process to get to the end result is not the local coming in and telling UPS that the safety committee will be John, Paul, George and Ringo.
If I got your explanation right, then is it also true that these meetings must be held in a yellow submarine with everyone holding hands (with local union approval of course)?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You are wrong and you can read it how you like. The local has every right to tell them who is on the safety committee not approve who they pick. That is if your local wants to do it that way.

I didn't say approve who they pick. I said that John, Paul, George and Ringo want to be on the safety committee. UPS did not pick them. The local then either approves or denies them.

Look, your local may do it that way. But most locals do not take the time to come to the local UPS, find out who wants to be on the safety committee, and then inform UPS that these employees are now on the safety committee.

UPS asks for volunteers to be on the safety committee. The local then either approves them or denies them.

You make it sound like every local has employees coming to the local wanting to be on the safety committee. There may be one or two that do it that way in the whole country.