Advice needed - a driver in "training" and alot of frustration

brownboss4

Hi everyone,

My husband was a Seasonal driver over the Christmas holiday. That ended January 15th. He wanted to stay on as a permanent employee, but that didn't work out. About a month later though, his supervisor called him and told him they really wanted him back and if he wanted to come back, it was his, but that it wouldn't be for 2-3 more weeks. OK. So we waited. Finally got a call to come in and it was a day here, a day off there, a few more days worked and a whole lot more off. This continued for awhile and then he was sent to Integrad in Dallas. This was the beginning of March. He passed that and we were thinking "OK, on to full time 40 hours". Wrong. They jerked him around for a long time - same thing - he'd go into the hub and wait around until sometimes 11am, only to find out there was no work for him. Talk about frustrating. This happened SO many times. They kept promising this "training route" that finally started beginning of April. It's supposed to be 30 working days. We are at May 11th and he's only had like, maybe, 10 of those days done because he basically never works a Monday because of there not being enough volume - there was a week in there he didnt' work ONE SINGLE day. Most weeks we are lucky to get 3-4 days worked. I could be off on numbers on all of this, but I know for certain we are nowhere near close to being through this stupid training packet. His supervisor has been on him because he apparently isn't finishing the route in the time he's supposed to and apparently these training routes are designed so he can "bonus" on them and well, he's not. His supervisor rode with him those first 3 days and they were coming in at 8:30 at night so he KNOWS it's impossible to do! That's a whole other issue - we knew to expect some later nights but he's not getting home until at least 8:30 at night and that's leaving the house at 8:15 in the morning (a 30-40 minute commute to the hub and a 9:20 start time). This makes for a VERY long day when we have 4 kids. Of course, he has to take a lunch which just makes it all the worse in terms of getting home at a decent hour.

So we have a ton of issues here:

a LOT of days off because of low volume - we never get a 40 hour paycheck.

Supervisors on him because he's not finishing fast enough, even though he's literally killing himself out there.

LONG days for not a whole lot of pay when he does work

The insult to injury this week is that he was informed he doesn't receive benefits (insurance) for 90 days AFTER his training packet is done. 90 working days!!! Talk about a blow to the stomach. We naively thought he would get it 90 days after his start date, which was in February. Wrong. 90 working days after a training packet that we can't get through because he's not working 5 days a week!

Any advice or tips on how to get his truck better loaded? He's saying his truck is a mess and that's contributing to a lot of time to find his packages. He's also running 3-4 misloads a day. Is that typical?

Honestly he's about to throw in the towel. For $18.75 and hour and these hours plus all the other issues above - yeah, he's really super frustrated. Can anyone say if all of these things are normal or not or what we can do? I'm not quite sure how they are able to get anyone to work there that has a family. My husband coaches football for his son's and well, I have no idea how that's even going to happen. Of course now he's hearing there is talk of mandatory Saturday's. Ugh....my Aunt retired from UPS after 30 some years as a driver, which is why I suggested it because she is doing pretty well in retirement and they were always good to her. I remember she never got home past 5-5:30 at night. I know, those were the days, I guess.

Thanks for any insight/advice.

Pooter

It's feast or famine the first year as a new driver.

The job potentially pays $34/hr+ because he is going to have to endure a lot of BS.

There are threads with tips on qualifying and also how to get inside work on the days he's not driving.

It's frustrating but it gets better as he bumps up in seniority

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hi everyone,

My husband was a Seasonal driver over the Christmas holiday. That ended January 15th. He wanted to stay on as a permanent employee, but that didn't work out. About a month later though, his supervisor called him and told him they really wanted him back and if he wanted to come back, it was his, but that it wouldn't be for 2-3 more weeks. OK. So we waited. Finally got a call to come in and it was a day here, a day off there, a few more days worked and a whole lot more off. This continued for awhile and then he was sent to Integrad in Dallas. This was the beginning of March. He passed that and we were thinking "OK, on to full time 40 hours". Wrong. They jerked him around for a long time - same thing - he'd go into the hub and wait around until sometimes 11am, only to find out there was no work for him. Talk about frustrating. This happened SO many times. They kept promising this "training route" that finally started beginning of April. It's supposed to be 30 working days. We are at May 11th and he's only had like, maybe, 10 of those days done because he basically never works a Monday because of there not being enough volume - there was a week in there he didnt' work ONE SINGLE day. Most weeks we are lucky to get 3-4 days worked. I could be off on numbers on all of this, but I know for certain we are nowhere near close to being through this stupid training packet. His supervisor has been on him because he apparently isn't finishing the route in the time he's supposed to and apparently these training routes are designed so he can "bonus" on them and well, he's not. His supervisor rode with him those first 3 days and they were coming in at 8:30 at night so he KNOWS it's impossible to do! That's a whole other issue - we knew to expect some later nights but he's not getting home until at least 8:30 at night and that's leaving the house at 8:15 in the morning (a 30-40 minute commute to the hub and a 9:20 start time). This makes for a VERY long day when we have 4 kids. Of course, he has to take a lunch which just makes it all the worse in terms of getting home at a decent hour.

So we have a ton of issues here:

a LOT of days off because of low volume - we never get a 40 hour paycheck.

Supervisors on him because he's not finishing fast enough, even though he's literally killing himself out there.

LONG days for not a whole lot of pay when he does work

The insult to injury this week is that he was informed he doesn't receive benefits (insurance) for 90 days AFTER his training packet is done. 90 working days!!! Talk about a blow to the stomach. We naively thought he would get it 90 days after his start date, which was in February. Wrong. 90 working days after a training packet that we can't get through because he's not working 5 days a week!

Any advice or tips on how to get his truck better loaded? He's saying his truck is a mess and that's contributing to a lot of time to find his packages. He's also running 3-4 misloads a day. Is that typical?

Honestly he's about to throw in the towel. For $18.75 and hour and these hours plus all the other issues above - yeah, he's really super frustrated. Can anyone say if all of these things are normal or not or what we can do? I'm not quite sure how they are able to get anyone to work there that has a family. My husband coaches football for his son's and well, I have no idea how that's even going to happen. Of course now he's hearing there is talk of mandatory Saturday's. Ugh....my Aunt retired from UPS after 30 some years as a driver, which is why I suggested it because she is doing pretty well in retirement and they were always good to her. I remember she never got home past 5-5:30 at night. I know, those were the days, I guess.

Thanks for any insight/advice.
I really hate to tell you this, but you've managed to sum up what we all deal with daily. UPS only cares about numbers. Digital numbers that show up on paper. It's a hard job, never gonna be done early (especially when you really need to), the load quality gets worse every day, etc. etc. Say goodbye to coaching, and if he doesn't qualify soon (30 in 90) you won't have to worry about it anyway.

upschuck

All sounds about normal to me. He is at bottom on the totem pole, and only works when all others are working, too. He will be getting more work, as more vacations will be kicking in.

The healthcare stuff seems to be a little long.

Everybody has gone through this period in their UPS career. Don't despair.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I really hate to tell you this, but you've managed to sum up what we all deal with daily. UPS only cares about numbers. Digital numbers that show up on paper. It's a hard job, never gonna be done early (especially when you really need to), the load quality gets worse every day, etc. etc. Say goodbye to coaching, and if he doesn't qualify soon (30 in 90) you won't have to worry about it anyway.
OK, Debbie Downer...

Brown_Cow

Suck it up buttercup. This is what he signed up for. He should be grateful they even decided to use him after peak. Most people wait 5+ years on the inside before they get a chance to go full time.

He needs to stop and set up his shelves as he works. If he's spending more then 30 seconds finding a package at multiple stops. Take 25 minutes and organize your packages in order. Then go you'll make up the time lost organizing and then some.

Job comes with overtime. Most drivers work 10+ hours a day. And benefits after 90 days of making book as a driver? Be happy over that. Takes 6 months here for full timers to get theirs. A full year for it to cover their families too.

If he is still having problems he needs to find out which driver usually runs this route and ask for advice and tips. And if that driver says the route can't be scratched he should try talking to shop steward. Document everything and good luck.

Hate to burst your bubble though. He's probably just being used for now as a fill in. Unless he really impresses them with production I wouldn't hold my breath. Took a buddy of mine from June all the way through the peak black out and into may to finally get his blessing and make book. Have fun.