Advice needed - a driver in "training" and alot of frustration

bumped

Have your hubby talk to the shop steward. Ask the steward to be brutally honest of what is going on with him. The stewards usually know what the situation is.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Communication is not one of UPS' strong suits. When I was hired (off the street) I was told I'd be driving on a training route within 3 weeks. 11 months later and I've finally gotten my own Saturday air route after working preload and driving during peak. (Granted working preload has made me a better driver.) You'll be jerked around, told different things from different people and generally not have a clue about anything, especially contract and union information. Your husband's shop steward will be his best friend and source of information.

We always have several cover drivers standing around as the trucks leave waiting to see whether or not the center has any work for them. UPS operates by the seat of it's pants, or sometimes with no pants at all.

If his loads are that bad, see if he can talk to one of the preload supervisors about who is loading his truck. Our drivers frequently speak with our preload sups about load quality (or lack thereof) which typically involves long, intricate usage of various forms of profanity and references to male genitalia.

90 days isn't bad for benefits. Reg-temp drivers and preloaders have to wait a YEAR.

In regards to family, most of the members here have mentioned it- expect to have no family life on weekdays. You're going to miss Billy-Bob's little league tournament and Katie's ballet recital. Dad will be an empty seat. However, if he makes seniority your family will want for nothing.

There's a reason that so many of the drivers in my center are divorced.

Could be worse, he could be Alaska king crab fishing.

CleverNameHere

Do you guys prioritize relationship/family time/social life? If yes, that's enough reason for him to get out from this hellhole job while he can.

If time as a family somehow isn't an important thing at this time, do you mind him spending a couple few decades coming home dead tired and useless every night? Hurting himself inevitably? Risking life and limb daily for lazy focker's amazon boxes? Or how about his life being a nightmare and him crabby all holiday season?

This job pays so much cause that's what they think his life and soul are worth... $34 (after 4 YEARS!) and some overtime, mixed with the harsh realities of trucks loaded by half awake stoners, weather, traffic, EXTREMELY hostile management, and stress injuries.

Don't get sucked into the brown hole. To have even made it this far he has the brain and work ethic to live a much healthier, happier existence and still provide.. In another career. I'm a strong individual and the dread of dragging myself into who knows what everyday caused me a breakdown, I'm now fighting to stay working inside.

These old timers here being sarcastic started when this was a reasonably easy job, and by the time things went down the poop chute at ups, they had seniority to bid on cake routes, and smugly make great money. Its not worth it ma'am. My two cents.

oldngray

nowhere special
.20 minute ride around the block , 3 days of sheet writing school then 3 day sup ride ,, that was it , on my own ever since
3 days of sheet writing? More like an hour or two. I did have the ride around the block and 3 day ride too though. Then it was work every day. I never got laid off.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Feeders took longer , I had a 4 day ride , 5 th day he was busy , we did all the paperwork to qualify days 1-4 on lunch !!

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hi everyone,

My husband was a Seasonal driver over the Christmas holiday. That ended January 15th. He wanted to stay on as a permanent employee, but that didn't work out. About a month later though, his supervisor called him and told him they really wanted him back and if he wanted to come back, it was his, but that it wouldn't be for 2-3 more weeks. OK. So we waited. Finally got a call to come in and it was a day here, a day off there, a few more days worked and a whole lot more off. This continued for awhile and then he was sent to Integrad in Dallas. This was the beginning of March. He passed that and we were thinking "OK, on to full time 40 hours". Wrong. They jerked him around for a long time - same thing - he'd go into the hub and wait around until sometimes 11am, only to find out there was no work for him. Talk about frustrating. This happened SO many times. They kept promising this "training route" that finally started beginning of April. It's supposed to be 30 working days. We are at May 11th and he's only had like, maybe, 10 of those days done because he basically never works a Monday because of there not being enough volume - there was a week in there he didnt' work ONE SINGLE day. Most weeks we are lucky to get 3-4 days worked. I could be off on numbers on all of this, but I know for certain we are nowhere near close to being through this stupid training packet. His supervisor has been on him because he apparently isn't finishing the route in the time he's supposed to and apparently these training routes are designed so he can "bonus" on them and well, he's not. His supervisor rode with him those first 3 days and they were coming in at 8:30 at night so he KNOWS it's impossible to do! That's a whole other issue - we knew to expect some later nights but he's not getting home until at least 8:30 at night and that's leaving the house at 8:15 in the morning (a 30-40 minute commute to the hub and a 9:20 start time). This makes for a VERY long day when we have 4 kids. Of course, he has to take a lunch which just makes it all the worse in terms of getting home at a decent hour.

So we have a ton of issues here:

a LOT of days off because of low volume - we never get a 40 hour paycheck.

Supervisors on him because he's not finishing fast enough, even though he's literally killing himself out there.

LONG days for not a whole lot of pay when he does work

The insult to injury this week is that he was informed he doesn't receive benefits (insurance) for 90 days AFTER his training packet is done. 90 working days!!! Talk about a blow to the stomach. We naively thought he would get it 90 days after his start date, which was in February. Wrong. 90 working days after a training packet that we can't get through because he's not working 5 days a week!

Any advice or tips on how to get his truck better loaded? He's saying his truck is a mess and that's contributing to a lot of time to find his packages. He's also running 3-4 misloads a day. Is that typical?

Honestly he's about to throw in the towel. For $18.75 and hour and these hours plus all the other issues above - yeah, he's really super frustrated. Can anyone say if all of these things are normal or not or what we can do? I'm not quite sure how they are able to get anyone to work there that has a family. My husband coaches football for his son's and well, I have no idea how that's even going to happen. Of course now he's hearing there is talk of mandatory Saturday's. Ugh....my Aunt retired from UPS after 30 some years as a driver, which is why I suggested it because she is doing pretty well in retirement and they were always good to her. I remember she never got home past 5-5:30 at night. I know, those were the days, I guess.

Thanks for any insight/advice.
He could have started like most of us did, working in the building making half of what he is making now and only getting 20 hrs a week. You just have to pay your dues with this company and your family time will be compromised. The pay off will come when he makes 6 figures plus benefits for the family for walking packages to people's door

Over 70

Drivers are a tough bunch. It's not that any specific aspect of the job in itself is hard, it's the combination of everything and the non stop relentless grind of it.

I'm going through the same stuff your husband is as a driver of a little less than a year. Luckily I did my homework here first so I knew what to expect and have a good flexible job outside of here.

There's a bunch of days working inside that I ask myself what the hell I'm doing here because 11/hr mine as well be working for free to me but every time I take a route out I know why. I truely love delivering.

My other job works even longer hours in harsher conditions so I'm conditioned there and kinda just said well I'm gonna work long hours either way, mine as well enjoy it. If this really doesn't work out I just plug right into my old job making slightly more than top rate/hr....

It's really not for everyone. I know some real workers and they would probably say screw this.

A guy that has the right body, right approach (work smart), and the mental maturity to let management stuff fly in one ear and out the other can have an enjoyable career I think. I went into it knowing what kinda pricks I'd be dealing with...my old man used to always says if you want to screw the company, do exactly as they say lol.

Box Ox

They've made this job harder than it is @oldngray

Which is a jobs program for management and corporate positions in itself.

I've never seen new/qualifying drivers so shell shocked by how intensely they're being critiqued. It's not just a "kids these days" work ethic thing. Volume per route has spiked while micromanagement has gotten much worse.

Over 70

Which is a jobs program for management and corporate positions in itself.

I've never seen new/qualifying drivers so shell shocked by how intensely they're being critiqued. It's not just a "kids these days" work ethic thing. Volume per route has spiked while micromanagement has gotten much worse.

I get it, coming from a construction background I'm used to being screamed at, yelled at, nothing is good enough, etc.

UPS is almost a little cult like with management. It creeped me out a little.

I can only imagine some young millennial, wet behind the ears being shocked. Even I was a bit shocked how UPS literally doesn't let you waste a single minute if they can and will give you crap about something completely trivial.

Covemastah

We went out slammed years ago also , there were less rtes , we were micromanaged also , but right ,,, not like today !!
Back then you'd be followed , they'd be in a car, or hiding behind a tree or in a building !
One guy made us take all send agains up to his office , he'd ck the service cross , grab a phone book and call the first five people in the s/a 's to see if they received a delivery notice !
Yes ,, we were harrassed as well !

oldngray

nowhere special
We went out slammed years ago also , there were less rtes , we were micromanaged also , but right ,,, not like today !!
Back then you'd be followed , they'd be in a car, or hiding behind a tree or in a building !
One guy made us take all send agains up to his office , he'd ck the service cross , grab a phone book and call the first five people in the s/a 's to see if they received a delivery notice !
Yes ,, we were harrassed as well !
Harassed about minutes and not seconds though.

Covemastah

As an older guy once said to me ,,The 50 yr old guys around here were raised by WW2 & Korean War fathers who were tougher on us as young kids , helps your will power to be a bit tougher suck it up and aprecaite the job & money your making !!!

Maybe he was right , idk