Advice on if I should leave UPS or not

KYVG8C

Hey all
Im going into my 3rd week on the job preloading at UPS and I gotta say I'm hating it. I'm not one to quit things, I never have before but this is really getting to me. I love a faced paced work environment cause I don't enjoy being paid to sit on my ass like some retail jobs I had but this is honestly too much. It's really not the volume or the pace that is getting to me its the supervisors that are making me dread the job, both the ones watching over me verbally harass me whenever they find a mistake in my work such as a misload or something like that. I struggle with anxiety to begin with and thinking about going into work the next day only to get harassed for not learning fast enough only makes my anxiety worse. I don't want to leave and be unemployed but at the same time the job is really taking a toll on my mental health, so my question is should i leave, or tough it out till I (maybe) get the hang of it? and if i do leave, how should I go about doing that?
Any job that doesn't require a bachelors degree or higher is eventually going to find ways to get under your skin. It makes sense from a business standpoint because if they can get you to quit before you are eligible for a multitude of costly benefits (healthcare, ect...) that equals to increased revenue for the business. This is with all low wage jobs. As for UPS if you're in pre-load get over the ear headphones and blast music so you can't hear any "yelling from sups". And maybe you're being yelled at because you suck at your job, maybe try harder?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Flipping off a manager "could possibly" be perceived as workplace violence (threatening gestures). If someone really wanted to push it and goes to HR....that would be a stupid reason to get fired.

I've done it many times over 5 years... never had a problem.

And at UPS, that means exactly "jack :censored2:". You can do something 500 times until you do it to the wrong sup...and suddenly it's an issue.

It's only done when warranted.. I do my job well! I'm left alone for the most part.

*cough cough :bsbullf: cough cough*

Id love to see him "flip off" an ORS, center manager or DM as a driver.

Anyone wanna bet how that would work out for Mr tough guy here?

KYVG8C

Hey all
Im going into my 3rd week on the job preloading at UPS and I gotta say I'm hating it. I'm not one to quit things, I never have before but this is really getting to me. I love a faced paced work environment cause I don't enjoy being paid to sit on my ass like some retail jobs I had but this is honestly too much. It's really not the volume or the pace that is getting to me its the supervisors that are making me dread the job, both the ones watching over me verbally harass me whenever they find a mistake in my work such as a misload or something like that. I struggle with anxiety to begin with and thinking about going into work the next day only to get harassed for not learning fast enough only makes my anxiety worse. I don't want to leave and be unemployed but at the same time the job is really taking a toll on my mental health, so my question is should i leave, or tough it out till I (maybe) get the hang of it? and if i do leave, how should I go about doing that?
Take Alprazolam it produces the "not give a :censored2:" sensation, so I've heard, take it only if you really want to stay employed...anywhere
Anxiety is extremely common, a lot of the times it's caused by external factors. Drug/Alcohol use, poor diet/sleep, along with other personal issues can either trigger or aggravate your anxiety. My suggestion is staying healthy and finding activities outside of work that take your mind off of whatever occurred throughout the day. Letting anxiety take control over your daily routine is a flaw within one's self. Once you understand that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to.

Last edited:

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I wouldn't ever flip off a supervisor...I just give them the biggest :censored2: eating grin possible when they make me do something stupid...the job sucks a LOT sometimes but overall you'll be happy if you stay....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
have you noticed that a lot of these new people hve anxiety problems? it's both the entitlement generation nd the victim generation. america is doomed.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Ups is not a warm and fuzzy place to work. Mgmt. will scan reports without ceasing to find any mistake that they can, and then bring it to your attention.

"You scanned an old delivery notice today!"
Really, are you sure? Damn, a mistake like that could bring this company to its knees.

They will never mention the 1000 things you did correctly each day; so.... you should probably leave
now.

Even after you have been here for 30 years, you are nothing more than an "ass in the seat."

AutoZone

BrownPower
Do you try to give management the ability to easily fire you? Or is it by pure coincidence.
Lol, come on, you all know unless it's on video it never happened.. my word against theirs. "He said I flicked him off??? Why would I ever do that? Doesn't make any sense..." "ok, go back to work.." lol.. then I'd call him a baby for being a tattletale.. yes.. it's been done. Hard to prove something like that.. again.. I do my job very well.. hard to fire one of your best guys that usually has a smile on his face.

:censored2:, just about a month ago, I got into a shouting match with a FT(not mine) that's notorious for yelling all night long at everyone.. he got in my face, and I shut him down real quick. SS and my FTer comes over and defends me telling the dude he's being unprofessional... and encourages me to file on him.. as I'm walking out of the building, he comes up to me and apologizes.. i told him he's got to me the most unprofessional sup I've ever seen in 18 years of working... told him that's ineffective management and he needs to learn people skills... haven't heard him yelling at anyone since. So my management skills overrode his. just cause your a boss doesn't mean you need to be an :censored2:.. I'm a boss and i lead by example, not whip cracking..

AutoZone

BrownPower
Lol, come on, you all know unless it's on video it never happened.. my word against theirs. "He said I flicked him off??? Why would I ever do that? Doesn't make any sense..." "ok, go back to work.." lol.. then I'd call him a baby for being a tattletale.. yes.. it's been done. Hard to prove something like that.. again.. I do my job very well.. hard to fire one of your best guys that usually has a smile on his face.

:censored2:, just about a month ago, I got into a shouting match with a FT(not mine) that's notorious for yelling all night long at everyone.. he got in my face, and I shut him down real quick. SS and my FTer comes over and defends me telling the dude he's being unprofessional... and encourages me to file on him.. as I'm walking out of the building, he comes up to me and apologizes.. i told him he's got to me the most unprofessional sup I've ever seen in 18 years of working... told him that's ineffective management and he needs to learn people skills... haven't heard him yelling at anyone since. So my management skills overrode his. just cause your a boss doesn't mean you need to be an :censored2:.. I'm a boss and i lead by example, not whip cracking..
And for the record since I know Orion will be harassing me on this post as usual, I would never do that when I'm FT. That would just be stupid.. :) have a good day everyone. Drive safe

Orion inc.

I like turtles

And for the record since I know Orion will be harassing me on this post as usual, I would never do that when I'm FT. That would just be stupid.. :) have a good day everyone. Drive safe

So you'll drastically "change your anger issues " when you're FT but you have no problem becoming unhinged in the hub PT?

I call BS. How haven't you been walked off property for work place violence yet ? The amount of "stories" you post of you getting in "a sups face and yelling " is amazing. Flipping them off and probably using some creative words while yelling I bet. Big tough guy like you and your sups all cower to you because you're such a "hard worker with a smile on your face"???

Do you know you're full of crap or are you oblivious to it?

Oh and I thought you were already "full time driver" according to you ? Now you're working the hub again. Did someone not go out there and knock out 250 stops and not qualify??

You really aren't as "bad ass" as you try to make yourself be Mr hub tough guy.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Bologna.

Johney

Here's the problem with just about everything you posted here Jake, let's just say it's true all of it, you flipping a sup off, yelling at one whatever, when the time comes for you to qualify as a driver you will be DQ'd so fast your head will spin. Why? Because to them you have an "attitude". Becoming FT isn't a freebie anymore. No one will want you in their driver group it happens all the time buddy especially in big hubs.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Here's the problem with just about everything you posted here Jake, let's just say it's true all of it, you flipping a sup off, yelling at one whatever, when the time comes for you to qualify as a driver you will be DQ'd so fast your head will spin. Why? Because to them you have an "attitude". Becoming FT isn't a freebie anymore. No one will want you in their driver group it happens all the time buddy especially in big hubs.
A sup constantly yelling all night long is unprofessional, and the ss is the one who told me to file on that because of his harassment of myself and other employees.. and after our shouting match, and he apologized, I decided to not file and see how he conducted himself. And like I stated, I haven't heard him yell since, and this is a guy that use to tell all night long every night.

There is a thing called professionalism, even at UPS.. and those"managers" still need to adhere to it. All I did was remind him of that.

And the flipping off usually came from a 30 degree 3am working the load in the winter and being told to work faster while he was standing at his podium with a heater on.. finger well deserved.. he even laughed about it.. I'm a happy guy and promote that and people read that on me.. I act like I'm going to knock my sup in the nuts every time he walks by me on my aisle because he's stopping my work flow.. nothing wrong with keeping them in their toes. I'm well respected where I work. I'm sure all that will change when I get to the ors's but my work ethic and good attitude will hopefully keep them off my back..

AutoZone

BrownPower
I think the main problem is, UPS doesn't train their management.. if you can write your name, you can be a sup.. they don't need to have any skills whatsoever. My day job, I'm constantly sent to management training and taught new things and ways to handle people and situations.. not "here, go give orders!" Like they do. If they invested in their management, things would be better in that environment.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
A sup constantly yelling all night long is unprofessional, and the ss is the one who told me to file on that because of his harassment of myself and other employees.. and after our shouting match, and he apologized, I decided to not file and see how he conducted himself. And like I stated, I haven't heard him yell since, and this is a guy that use to tell all night long every night.

There is a thing called professionalism, even at UPS.. and those"managers" still need to adhere to it. All I did was remind him of that.

And the flipping off usually came from a 30 degree 3am working the load in the winter and being told to work faster while he was standing at his podium with a heater on.. finger well deserved.. he even laughed about it.. I'm a happy guy and promote that and people read that on me.. I act like I'm going to knock my sup in the nuts every time he walks by me on my aisle because he's stopping my work flow.. nothing wrong with keeping them in their toes. I'm well respected where I work. I'm sure all that will change when I get to the ors's but my work ethic and good attitude will hopefully keep them off my back..

Here's your problem right here. What you perceive yourself as and how others perceive you are not the same. You think you're a great guy with great work ethic. Your stories on here paint you quite the opposite. You sound like a troublemaker who constantly yells and complains if he doesn't get his way all the time.

And "professionalism " is a two way street Mr ups genius. You can't scream and yell and physically threaten to knock supervisors out or flip them off and then claim you're a well liked, hard worker. That's called being a hypocrite.

And if you HAVE to inform everyone how much a "hard, great worker" you are, you probably are far from it in reality.

Don't forget that you have to "adhere" to a certain standard of professionalism too because if ups wanted to, they could build a case against you over the long term. Or as @Johney said, they can just DQ you when you try to qualify and they don't have to give you a good reason.

And if you're flipping off sups or yelling and screaming and threatening them, I highly doubt you are well like or respected. Guys like you with your mindset won't even be well "liked" in their driver groups among their fellow drivers.

You claim your a happy guy and people "read that on you", hmmmm...all I see is an immature kid in his 30s with a huge anger problems and so full of BS.

Not to mention a quitter when things get hard.