Aetna says they’re not STD, local says they are

I’m having surgery next week and I’m trying to apply for short term disability. My local says to call Aetna but they say to call teamcare. The local says teamcare is only for part timers. I’m a full time driver in New York City. Has anyone received short term disability as a full timer in NYC?

Future

Victory Ride
I’m having surgery next week and I’m trying to apply for short term disability. My local says to call Aetna but they say to call teamcare. The local says teamcare is only for part timers. I’m a full time driver in New York City. Has anyone received short term disability as a full timer in NYC?
Sorry ... about your surgery ...what r u having done?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’m having total hip replacement. Pretty ridiculous to say that’s not disabling.

It's not----many have returned to work following the procedure; granted, none of them worked here, but to say it is disabling is not true.

The procedure would qualify you for STD.

I had a plantar wart removed in February 2016. The recovery time was a couple of weeks so I scheduled vacation for that time. I also applied for STD so, in essence, I made money on the deal.

This is who we use for STD coverage in my local:

https://www.ullico.com/lh/disability

I may schedule some vacation time during my recovery (I pick next week) but my local advised against it: “You’re on disability, not vacation”. UPS uses Aetna for STD here and they claim that UPS denied it. I’m hoping it’s because I haven’t had the surgery yet and to have better luck after the surgery as I will be “disabled” at that point.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I’m having total hip replacement. Pretty ridiculous to say that’s not disabling.
You probably should have spoken to Stu first...you being a long time Pkg driver this could have been a repetitive injury due to you being on your feet in and out of the truck up and down stairs for countless years has taken a toll on your hips and therefore it's comp...

I considered that but I’m using a well known surgeon in the best hospital and was worried about finding someone that accepted workman’s comp. It’s also a result of osteoarthritis as well as being aggravated by the job so I’m sure the whole pre-existing condition thing would have come up. But you’re right, I should have talked to Stu.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I may schedule some vacation time during my recovery (I pick next week) but my local advised against it: “You’re on disability, not vacation”. UPS uses Aetna for STD here and they claim that UPS denied it. I’m hoping it’s because I haven’t had the surgery yet and to have better luck after the surgery as I will be “disabled” at that point.

You can do both—it is perfectly legal and does not reduce the amount of either payment.

I think I’ll have to, since I’m having such a hard time getting disability. I also have supplemental insurance but I’m anticipating a fight there as well since UPS has to fill out one of the forms.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I think I’ll have to, since I’m having such a hard time getting disability. I also have supplemental insurance but I’m anticipating a fight there as well since UPS has to fill out one of the forms.
If you have Unum UPS does not have to fill out the form... if you need help with this PM me

fredxx

you may need an attorney who handles LONG TERM/ SHORT disability...that's what my W/Comp attorney told me when i was denied....BOL with your surgery..