Affordable Health Care Act

Fullhouse

I hear this will really kick in on Jan 1,2014. The way I understand it is this. Employers with more than 50 Employees will have to provide government approved health care insurance for employees who work over 30hrs a week. I really think UPS is going to poor mouth about insurance and try to do away with health care for part timers. With the contract talks taking place right now, Company provided Health Care for all, needs to be top priority What are your thoughts on this?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I hear this will really kick in on Jan 1,2014. The way I understand it is this. Employers with more than 50 Employees will have to provide government approved health care insurance for employees who work over 30hrs a week. I really think UPS is going to poor mouth about insurance and try to do away with health care for part timers. With the contract talks taking place right now, Company provided Health Care for all, needs to be top priority What are your thoughts on this?

This is going to be a MAJOR sticking point in negotiations in January. The company always wants to take away health insurance from part-timers and that ain't going to happen.

bluehdmc

This is going to be a MAJOR sticking point in negotiations in January. The company always wants to take away health insurance from part-timers and that ain't going to happen.

With a starting wage equal or just slightly higher than minimum wage, other than paid tuition, what would be the incentive to work at UPS vs McDonalds?

klein

Für Meno :)
With a starting wage equal or just slightly higher than minimum wage, other than paid tuition, what would be the incentive to work at UPS vs McDonalds?
That's a reason why your part timers will earn more, just like it is up north (currently hiring at $15.75, plus $75 weekly added retention pay).

Actually, all in all it should push up the US economy, instead of the major US companies sitting on trillions or paying huge bonuses for CEO's , excusitives, and major share holders.

Works pretty well here, anyways, or in Germany for that matter.

klein

What is $75 weekly retention pay ? Could they take insurance away from current part time employees?

The $75 weekly is another encouragement not to quit and work somewhere else.
I'm outside the US, where every citizen is covered by a national (government) health plan , independent from employment.

trickpony1

The $75 weekly is another encouragement not to quit and work somewhere else.
I'm outside the US, where every citizen is covered by a national (government) health plan , independent from employment.

Are you being taxed out the rear to pay for your "national (government) health plan", which is known as "obamacare" in the US?

Last edited:

klein

Are you being taxed out the rear to pay for your "national (government) health plan", which is known as "obamacare" in the US?

Depends how you look at it :

We could slash taxes like the US did and have tax rates below those of 50 years ago and run a huge national deficit and trillions in total National debt, or do as we do, and pay more taxes and run more of a balanced budget.

Scuderia

If they take away the health plans for part timers, they will have to give every part timer a MAJOR pay raise. Also part timers often work over 30 hours per week. So once part timers go full time, will they get a pay cut in exchange for health insurance? And when a part timer goes over 30 hours, will UPS provide healthcare for that one week?

IMO things will stay as they are. The health insurance is part of our compensation. The question I have is, will Obamacare devalue the health insurance we already get? If overall insurance and healthcare costs go down that would mean that the union could negotiate for even higher wages.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If they take away the health plans for part timers, they will have to give every part timer a MAJOR pay raise. Also part timers often work over 30 hours per week. So once part timers go full time, will they get a pay cut in exchange for health insurance? And when a part timer goes over 30 hours, will UPS provide healthcare for that one week?

IMO things will stay as they are. The health insurance is part of our compensation. The question I have is, will Obamacare devalue the health insurance we already get? If overall insurance and healthcare costs go down that would mean that the union could negotiate for even higher wages.
Healthcare costs aren't going down, the most Obamacare will do in that regard is slow the rate at which they are increasing but they will still go up. As you say though, health insurance is part of our negotiated compensation so I doubt there will be any major changes.

brett636

Healthcare costs aren't going down, the most Obamacare will do in that regard is slow the rate at which they are increasing but they will still go up. As you say though, health insurance is part of our negotiated compensation so I doubt there will be any major changes.

Interesting take on Obamacare. Considering it requires the insurance companies to add all sorts of covered items to their plans what makes you think they are going to slow the rate of increase in their rates when they are taking on more liability?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Interesting take on Obamacare. Considering it requires the insurance companies to add all sorts of covered items to their plans what makes you think they are going to slow the rate of increase in their rates when they are taking on more liability?

Wouldn't any increases be offset by the higher number of insured? Also, the majority of young people under the age of 26 require little more than preventative medicine, so the additional costs should be minimal.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's projected to slow the rate of the increase, whether it will actually do that I have no idea. Costs are going up regardless so the reality is that we are all going to pay more at some point we may get some respite because our benefits are negotiated but eventually we will get hit, my guess is that it won't happen in this contract.

brown_trousers

It's projected to slow the rate of the increase, whether it will actually do that I have no idea. Costs are going up regardless so the reality is that we are all going to pay more at some point we may get some respite because our benefits are negotiated but eventually we will get hit, my guess is that it won't happen in this contract.

We're actually going to pay more instantly, as Obama has singled us union members out to pay more taxes on health care.

Obamacare in NO way benefits us middle class workers here at UPS

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We're actually going to pay more instantly, as Obama has singled us union members out to pay more taxes on health care.

Really? There is a special "union member" healthcare tax? That's interesting.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really? There is a special "union member" healthcare tax? That's interesting.

Teamster provided Health insurance is considered a Cadillac plan and as such, the beneficiary will owe taxes on the "excess" insurance.

Not targeted at Unions and applies to all "Cadillac" plans.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Thought I read here in a couple places that due to being below the cost used as the threshhold for being defined as a Cadillac Plan our benefits plan would not be classified as such.

trickpony1

That's right and it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
Kinda makes ya wonder why you voted for him? Little late now.........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thought I read here in a couple places that due to being below the cost used as the threshold for being defined as a Cadillac Plan our benefits plan would not be classified as such.

Could be, I was going off what I heard on Morning Joe and they did not say UPS Teamster specifically.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Could be, I was going off what I heard on Morning Joe and they did not say UPS Teamster specifically.
The threshold for Cadillac plans is premiums of $10,200 per year for singles and $27,500 per year for families. I'll have to check with my local but I'm positive our premiums are nowhere near that, probably about half that at the most.