Affordable Health Care Act

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The threshold for Cadillac plans is premiums of $10,200 per year for singles and $27,500 per year for families. I'll have to check with my local but I'm positive our premiums are nowhere near that, probably about half that at the most.

I remember the reference to Unions now - they are exempt from the Cadillac Tax on Health Care Insurance.

brett636

Wouldn't any increases be offset by the higher number of insured? Also, the majority of young people under the age of 26 require little more than preventative medicine, so the additional costs should be minimal.

No, not exactly. Higher numbered of insured patients means more people seeing the same number of doctors. A simple supply and demand evaluation will tell you that when the demand goes up, but supply remains the same the cost goes up to compensate. When the cost rises, the insurance rates have to rise accordingly to keep everything in balance, and raise they will much faster than they would have otherwise.

It's projected to slow the rate of the increase, whether it will actually do that I have no idea. Costs are going up regardless so the reality is that we are all going to pay more at some point we may get some respite because our benefits are negotiated but eventually we will get hit, my guess is that it won't happen in this contract.

The government has projected many things wrong over the years. When obamacare passed it was supposed to cut the deficit, but future review discovered that it won't and in fact will add to the deficit. Again, I still don't know how increasing the liability of insurance companies along with increasing the demand for healthcare services while restricting the available supply will help keep costs down at all.

brown_trousers

No, not exactly. Higher numbered of insured patients means more people seeing the same number of doctors. A simple supply and demand evaluation will tell you that when the demand goes up, but supply remains the same the cost goes up to compensate. When the cost rises, the insurance rates have to rise accordingly to keep everything in balance, and raise they will much faster than they would have otherwise.

The problem is not in the number of people we will be adding to health care insurance, it is the demographic of the people we will be adding. Obamacare is going to add a substantial amount more "un-healthy" people who will make more insurance claims, than it will add "healthy" people with fewer insurance claims.

Its a recipe for disaster as far as the cost of health care is concerned. The whole concept that allows the insurance industry to work, is that people who "use" insurance more, pay more to offset the burden they place on the system (health insurance, car insurance, homeowners insurance, etc..). This is what keeps the system in equilibrium.

klein

Für Meno :)
And this is what happens when the whole nation has healthcare bennies (higher wages for those that work harder, instead of paying high bernnies) :

Enter the exciting world of United Parcel Service, the largest package Delivery Company in the world. Responding quickly to shifts in business trends requires fresh thinking. Our history of innovation in service, technology, and partnerships with our customers and our people gives us a decisive edge.

UPS Edmonton is looking for candidates to work the early morning warehouse position at either:

11204 151 St
Edmonton, AB

Or

6979 68 Ave
Edmonton, AB

Preloaders are responsible for unloading trailers, sorting packages and loading package cars. It is fun, fast-paced and physically demanding. Who needs a gym membership when you can get paid to work out!?

Shift time: 3:00am to 9:00am
Starting wages: $17.50 per hour (base + bonus)

Tuition Reimbursement of $2000 per semester! (Conditions apply)

If you are physically fit with the ability to lift 70 lbs unassisted, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, have reliable transportation, and looking for a part time job to fit your schedule, apply now!

Part Time Early Morning Warehouse - Edmonton General Labour Jobs - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Fullhouse

Just remember these health care plans have to meet certain government standards before they are approved. I'm sure UPS will weigh the cost of meeting these standards to the cost of just paying the fine. Also anything job under 30 hrs the employer will not be mandated to supply insurance. Rarely do any of our part times achieve 30 hrs a week. UPS solution is instruct all part timers to stay under 29 hrs if not "termination for failure to follow
instructions!" Plain and simple. Its all about the money!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would not surprise me at all if new part-timers hired after the ratification date of the upcoming contract would be paid a higher wage in lieu of receiving health benefits.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just remember these health care plans have to meet certain government standards before they are approved. I'm sure UPS will weigh the cost of meeting these standards to the cost of just paying the fine. Also anything job under 30 hrs the employer will not be mandated to supply insurance. Rarely do any of our part times achieve 30 hrs a week. UPS solution is instruct all part timers to stay under 29 hrs if not "termination for failure to follow
instructions!" Plain and simple. Its all about the money!

Labor contracts supersede that language in the ACA. UPS can't arbitrarily cut our health insurance.

EmraldArcher

Depends how you look at it :

We could slash taxes like the US did and have tax rates below those of 50 years ago and run a huge national deficit and trillions in total National debt, or do as we do, and pay more taxes and run more of a balanced budget.

Canada has a national debt of about 600 billion, rising about $1000 a second.

Not quite the 16 trillion of the US but let's not pretend Canada doesn't do it's share of over-spending.

DS

Fenderbender

Not quite the 16 trillion of the US but let's not pretend Canada doesn't do it's share of over-spending.

I bought a fridge yesterday instead of Christmas gifts.
600 billion and 16 trillion are light years apart.

klein

Für Meno :)

We had a surplus budget, until the US fell into recession in 2008.
Canada did a stimulus spending, kinda like the US and Europe.
So, that's where the shortfall came in, and we are still paying for it.
Balanced budget is forecasted in 2016, when is your's ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had a surplus budget, until the US fell into recession in 2008.
Canada did a stimulus spending, kinda like the US and Europe.
So, that's where the shortfall came in, and we are still paying for it.
Balanced budget is forecasted in 2016, when is your's ?

The U.S. hasn't had a budget....balanced or unbalanced.....for 4 years. Against the law, but nobody seems to care.

brown_trousers

The U.S. hasn't had a budget....balanced or unbalanced.....for 4 years. Against the law, but nobody seems to care.

There's no way Obama could afford any of his ideas if he had to work within a budget!!!

He likes to spend money he doesn't yet have, in the "hopes" that the revenue will show up later. lol.... I can only imagine the financial lessons he teaches his children!

island1fox

Wait until Jan 2014 when the sh-- hits the fan. All the dopey 26 year olds that voted for Obama --will now be fined or will have to lay out thousands of dollars a year for Health coverage --they have no idea what Obamacare is --they believe it is all free --idiots !!