Aggressively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing either

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

i was briefed on how to write telematic reports

you might get 1-3 drivers a week doing something they ought not be doing, but since our center is required to have 45 reports a week, obviously most of it is a complete waste of time

brown_trousers

Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

I wouldn't say that my "main concern" is to stay off the radar, but I come in, do my work, and go home. I prefer to stay off my management teams off of my butt. In no way do I ever feel the need to skip my lunch due to "pressure". The only thing I MAY do on occasion is skip my 10 minute break, especially in the heat of the summer. I would skip my lunch if I could work under 8 and still get my 8 hr guarantee, but that never seems to happen anymore.

I completely agree. A balance needs to be reached in life. And even if I know I am correct and justified on an issue, doesnt mean I want to spend 100% of my life in constant conflict trying to argue my point to some management *********s.

Life is way to short to waste it like that.

ymelord

I have read everybody's post, and what I would do is to have a the supervisor tell you with your union steward present, about the driving off the clock for lunch. If he still tells you to punch out at last stop, I would do it for one day, and the next day after that grieve it for the overtime you should have got paid for. It gives you a paper trail, and draws attention to what they are trying to do. They have to pay you.

upser92

Speaking of morale nothing helps it out quite like managers yelling about production rates when it's 96 with a heat index in triple digits. Just ridiculous how a few of them were, even some of the other FT sups were saying don't kill yourself today

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I completely agree. A balance needs to be reached in life. And even if I know I am correct and justified on an issue, doesnt mean I want to spend 100% of my life in constant conflict trying to argue my point to some management *********s.

Life is way to short to waste it like that.

Agreed.

The OP was complaining about a sup who is accusing him of stealing time and trying to get him to work off of the clock. That is an integrity issue, and at some point as drivers we need to draw a line in the sand. I believe we should make every effort to be cooperative and reasonable with our management, but that has to go both ways. Trying to screw a driver out of pay is not "reasonable."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

i was briefed on how to write telematic reports

you might get 1-3 drivers a week doing something they ought not be doing, but since our center is required to have 45 reports a week, obviously most of it is a complete waste of time

Another way to look at it is that it means job security for the sup who has to generate that weekly quota of reports. Which is fine with me, as long as that sup doesnt insult my intelligence by trying to convince me that those reports actually matter.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Speaking of morale nothing helps it out quite like managers yelling about production rates when it's 96 with a heat index in triple digits. Just ridiculous how a few of them were, even some of the other FT sups were saying don't kill yourself today
. What I would give for a 96 degree day. Been between 100-107 here for almost 2 weeks now. I can handle working in pants up to about the 94-97 range depending on humidity after that it's just miserable.

rod

Retired 22 years

Years and years ago I witnessed an old UPS driver get into an arguement with our center manager about "stealing time". He made the statement to the center manager that he couldn't understand why UPS only hired thieves and liars. The center manager said he didn't know what the driver way talking about. The drive replied---well from the second you hire every employee they are accused of stealing time and making up excuses why it takes them so long.

Indecisi0n

. What I would give for a 96 degree day. Been between 100-107 here for almost 2 weeks now. I can handle working in pants up to about the 94-97 range depending on humidity after that it's just miserable.

Show the ashy legs.

upser92

Re: Aggressively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eit

Well in the Great Lakes we're more of 84-85 degrees people

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Are you saying that the only dishonorable people within the company are in management? I agree that it is sad what this company has become but do you think UPS put these policies in place just for the heck of it or were they put in place as there are hourlies out there who do steal time.

IMO the OP did nothing wrong. The only thing I may have done differently is code the 13 minutes as sort and load.

I think the company put these policies in place because they have STUPID people making the rules! Each state is different, but most states have laws on lunch periods Dave. UPS CANNOT violate those laws.

In california for instance, An employee has to be relieved of ALL DUTIES before they have to punch out, that includes driving the UPS TRUCK, Parking the truck and securing it. If I am folding in the mirrors, thats on COMPANY TIME. If I am closing the doors, thats on COMPANY TIME.

If not, and UPS forces an employee to PUNCH OUT for lunch when they complete their last stop, and they enter the vehicle and move it, THATS A PAID LUNCH.

There are currently lawyers collecting data on this issue as the companys morons seem to attempt to enforce this ridiculous policy wihout regard to state law. The poster who said UPS would get sued is right on the money. This policy will end up being the largest class action lawsuit against UPS since the lunch violation in california where UPS had to pay us 71 million dollars in backpay. I received 11 thousand dollars last time.

Belive me, UPS management doesnt think this crap out. It has a new toy, and they are going to abuse it until we ABUSE THEM.

Here, California has defined its lunch laws clearly and UPS has stopped the practice.

Those new centers to telematics will go through this until the employees research their states lunch laws and see if they are provided further protections from the company idiots behind the wheel.

I encourage ALL employees across this country to look into the states laws and then print them and hand them to WHOEVER approaches them on the lunch issue, along with a STFU.

Peace

TOS

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Re: Aggressively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eit

All this is, in my opinion, is a calculated bluff designed to coerce the weak into working off the clock.
My guess is that the most we will ever see on this subject is a talk with.
I have sat in on several and that's as far as it went.
Look at it this way, UPS has nothing to lose when they employ these tactics.
Throw the crap against the wall and see if it sticks.
If half buy into the lie, their gain is enormous.
The biggest problem in regards to issues like these is unionized hourly employees lack of collective fortitude.
If we all stood together against crap like this, they wouldn't continue to employ these type of tactics.
Instead we all stand around and whine about "why the union isn't doing something about this"?
A union is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Unfortunately the weak links far outnumber the strong.

rod

Retired 22 years

All this is, in my opinion, is a calculated bluff designed to coerce the weak into working off the clock.
My guess is that the most we will ever see on this subject is a talk with.
I have sat in on several and that's as far as it went.
Look at it this way, UPS has nothing to lose when they employ these tactics.
Throw the crap against the wall and see if it sticks.
If half buy into the lie, their gain is enormous.
The biggest problem in regards to issues like these is unionized hourly employees lack of collective fortitude.
If we all stood together against crap like this, they wouldn't continue to employ these type of tactics.
Instead we all stand around and whine about "why the union isn't doing something about this"?
A union is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Unfortunately the weak links far outnumber the strong.

You are a wise man Mr. Bubblehead. It couldn't have been explained any better.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You know. This bothered me a bit. We've had telematics in our center for about 4 months now. I've been running my route clean, 99% by the book and run .30-.40 over, stress free with no problems. I have a routine, a tight schedule, I'm on time everywhere I go. Run my route, at 13:45 every day I stop at the same place and eat lunch, sort my truck at the same place every day, all is well.

I walk in Monday, punch in and go to the PCM, I'm refreshed from the weekend, I'm truely in a good mood and ready to work, ready to do a good job for them and make my customers happy, yada yada. After PCM I'm called into the office with a steward. :dissapointed:

I was accused of stealing time, this and that and it wont be tolerated. I will be terminated for stealing the next time this happens.
Apparently, they've been studying telematics data but just this week started "using" it.

On road: "Your last stop was 13:43, than we showed you traveled .2 miles and stopped for lunch but punched out at 13:45"
Me: "And ?"
On road: "You stole that 2 minutes, you are to punch out as soon as you stop complete your last stop, and you dont punch back in till youre at your next stop scanning packages"

A more condescending tone than usual. He tells me not to act like I never knew this, than talked to me like I'm a 5 year old.

On road: "Than you punched back in from lunch at 14:45 and you didnt complete your next delivery till 14:58, thats 13 minutes!"
me: "I come out of lunch and go through the car and resort it checking for misloads and biz in my resis, like I'm told to do before 15:00 every day, this is also how we do the route when you ride with me"
On Road: "Thats not how we do it around here, sort as you go, no need to stop and go through the car, you're taking extra lunch time, dont you understand we can see where you are and what you're doing now ? You're stealing time and now we see it"

So today I finish my last stop at 13:44, punch out to lunch at 13:45, finish lunch at 14:45, and punch back in at my next stop at 14:49. By the way, this is driving and a traffic light I would've had to drive through whether I stopped there for lunch or not. Anyways, I work my way delivering across town, get to the furthest point from where lunch was at and at 16:21 I found a misloaded saver in the 7000 section. However I'm now doing all my heavy pickups across town, I get through the pickups and get back across town and deliver it at 16:50, at least it made service. Funny thing is, it was right next door to where I eat lunch and I could've walked the damn thing over while sorting out the car like I've done every day for years without a single problem.

So I get in tonight and I'm accused of again stealing time and miles by driving across town to deliver saver, than talked to like I'm a 5 year old, and he wants to know why I didnt stop before 15:00 to go through the car like I was instructed to do :angry: Than I missed an OCA commit time (still picked up) going back out to where I was to continue (late) scheduled pickups. Was told I'm receiving a warning letter for the stolen time and late saver. They're being this unreasonable with many others, it's not just me.

Soooo... I went from .40-.50 over doing it the way I've been doing it for almost a decade, to .80-.90 over by not going back through the truck and sorting as I go all day long.

I will continue to smile and let them pad my paycheck with their absolute incompetance. :happy-very:
All the suit monkeys care about is staying off a report. We are told to scan a stop after lunch, then go through the load. Saving a ARS to scan works well.