Air drivers vs 22.3

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok so what's the difference? We have two article 22.3 jobs that are preload then air drivers. On top of that we have 2 or 3 other employees that work preload and then go run air after. These are not article 22.3 jobs. What's the difference? Could we file and get 2 more article 22 jobs bid?

PT Car Washer

We have the same thing in my building. The ones that are not Art. 22.3 would be PT preload and Art. 40 air exception drivers. My building did put on 2 more Art. 22.3 Preload/air driver jobs. Jobs went to current Art 22.3 employees. If air exception drivers are working 40 plus hours a week you may have a good argument.

Brownslave688

We have the same thing in my building. The ones that are not Art. 22.3 would be PT preload and Art. 40 air exception drivers. My building did put on 2 more Art. 22.3 Preload/air driver jobs. Jobs went to current Art 22.3 employees. If air exception drivers are working 40 plus hours a week you may have a good argument.

considering they work Saturdays and run air then also I would bet most of them get 40 or at least close to it.

I was just under the impression that these were exactly the type of jobs that were supposed to be turned into 22.3

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer

considering they work Saturdays and run air then also I would bet most of them get 40 or at least close to it.

I was just under the impression that these were exactly the type of jobs that were supposed to be turned into 22.3

Yes, I always get right at 40 when I work preload, do air and Saturdays.

barnyard

KTM rider
22.3 employees are guaranteed 40 hours of work per week. An employee that does preload plus air exception driving has no 40 hr/wk guarantee. In my building, we have 1 air exception driver and 4 that do preload and air exception and 2-22.3 combos that drive air. There are days that only the 22.3 drivers go on road and many days that the air exception driver does not come in. We tried pushing for more 22.3 jobs and they took the air drivers off the street, which has made for either more late NDA or longer hours for regular drivers.

PT Car Washer

Our Preload barely get 4 hours in. 4:30 to 8:30 Preload. 8:30 To 10:30 air driving. 10:30 to 12:30 What? And when do you take your hour lunch?

Brownslave688

53 hours on last weeks check. Problem with Art. 22.3 job is if air has to by off by 10:30 what do they do to get the rest of their hours?

We have a quite a few noon commit areas that they could deliver air to. Also we all know there is plenty of misloads they could shuttle between drivers.

My argument is these are the jobs the union should be fighting to turn into full time jobs.

barnyard

KTM rider
My argument is these are the jobs the union should be fighting to turn into full time jobs.

I would rather not 'fight for them.'

What has happened in my center, is we push for them, so management quits using them for a while to prove that they do not need them. Management would much rather see late NDA to prove they do not need more FT people than have to be forced to hire FT people.

Which is also the reason why our preload is allowed ZERO OT. If the preload is getting OT, the union pushes for more 22.3 jobs. Instead, the company sends all PT preload home at 4.99 hours whether they are done or not. If the union did not make such a rabid push for FT jobs, maybe the preload could do their jobs and makes some OT at times other than peak.

PT Car Washer

Which is what some of our Preload/air drivers do. Also have some early pick ups thrown in. Some of our Art. 22.3 jobs are just make work jobs. Have one guy that works day/twilight sort Mon. thru Fri. Day sort works Sun. Thur. On Friday he just hangs out with a broom for 4 hours. Are those the kind of jobs you mean?

Brownslave688

Which is what some of our Preload/air drivers do. Also have some early pick ups thrown in. Some of our Art. 22.3 jobs are just make work jobs. Have one guy that works day/twilight sort Mon. thru Fri. Day sort works Sun. Thur. On Friday he just hangs out with a broom for 4 hours. Are those the kind of jobs you mean?

No no we have zero art 22 like that. We only have a handful of 22.3 jobs. I understand the business model and realize ups needs a large PT workforce but those part timers also need a realistic time frame to go FT.

PT Car Washer

The biggest share of our 22.3 jobs are midnight/preload sort. The worst jobs to fill so they do make sense except for the 1 1/2 to 2 hour lunch break. I think maybe half of midnight and half of preload are 22.3 jobs. I have many friends working those hours.

barnyard

KTM rider
but those part timers also need a realistic time frame to go FT.

I would have stayed PT if I could have still worked OT. I was a Hazmat responder and that generally added 5 hours of OT onto my check. Add air driving and I had many weeks over 40 hours. Some were under, but no matter, my quality of life was excellent. No more PT OT and my checks were rarely over 30 (still had air exception hours.) I loved being off the clock by 11a in the summer. I went fishing almost every day.

I would not have signed a FT bid had I been working 30 hours a week (5 of those hours being OT). As a PT preloader, I would be making over $20/hour if I were still a preloader. I could live off that.

PT Car Washer

What is top pay for Art. 22.3 now? Do they all have one pay rate or is it all different? I know red circle PT kept their high pay rate I mean everyone else.

barnyard

KTM rider
Depends on the job. Locally, the get whatever their inside rate would be for inside jobs, then they get air driving rate for air driving.