Already injured two weeks in, what do I do?

Ange

Hello, I am a new employee and I am not sure what to do about this situation. They have me doing recycling which involves walking a cart full of boxes back and fourth for four hours straight. The first day they put me to work I started getting pain at the base of my big toe. I believe it is called sesamoiditis and it takes six weeks to heal IF you let your foot rest which is not an option for me. I also must have hurt my thumb yesterday because I have all the symptoms of arthritis. The back of my knee is killing me too. I really need this job to pay for college but I am afraid my body won't even work by the end of the year. If I ask them to put me in a different department, such as small sort, will they let me? If I pretend that I just got the injury today what will they do? Because I dont want them saying that I did not get injured there when it is so obvious. My body has never had this many injuries at once. Also can anyone provide tips for keeping myself safe? Thank you.

Ange

I wouldn't worry about it. I can almost guarantee you will not pass your probation.

Probably a good thing because this doesn't seem like the right job for you.

Good luck.
Can you explain why you say that I won't pass my probation? I think I am a pretty hard worker, but I just don't want the pain to catch up to me. Most of the managers seem chill except for the one in my department, which I try to avoid whenever possible so idk what will happen.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I wouldn't worry about it. I can almost guarantee you will not pass your probation.

Probably a good thing because this doesn't seem like the right job for you.

Good luck.

Sounds like literally the least physical job in the entire place. And where I come from, those aren't injuries, those are regular aches and pains. Just like my Drill Sergeant told me, pain is weakness leaving the body. Blister juice is also weakness leaving the body.

SLW

Hello, I am a new employee and I am not sure what to do about this situation. They have me doing recycling which involves walking a cart full of boxes back and fourth for four hours straight. The first day they put me to work I started getting pain at the base of my big toe. I believe it is called sesamoiditis and it takes six weeks to heal IF you let your foot rest which is not an option for me. I also must have hurt my thumb yesterday because I have all the symptoms of arthritis. The back of my knee is killing me too. I really need this job to pay for college but I am afraid my body won't even work by the end of the year. If I ask them to put me in a different department, such as small sort, will they let me? If I pretend that I just got the injury today what will they do? Because I dont want them saying that I did not get injured there when it is so obvious. My body has never had this many injuries at once. Also can anyone provide tips for keeping myself safe? Thank you.
Either quit or make do. You won't pass probation otherwise. Fwiw I also got what I believe was sesamoiditis. Bought a new pair of boots and fancy insoles and it went away after awhile.

The first couple weeks or even months of any physical job is not really indicative, though: there are just some aches and pains that you get during that period that eventually go away as your body adjusts to the work. PT cart-pushin is not that much. Should be plenty of enough time to take care of yourself and nurse any injuries with the rest of your day/week.

Can you explain why you say that I won't pass my probation? I think I am a pretty hard worker, but I just don't want the pain to catch up to me. Most of the managers seem chill except for the one in my department, which I try to avoid whenever possible so idk what will happen.
If you get hurt this early in your career they see you as a liability.

542thruNthru

When you tell your supervisor that you have a injury and think you need to be moved to a different area all UPS will see is a liability and a future headache. So they will fail you before you have union protection so that you can not grieve to get your job back.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's hard to tell what pain stays and what pain goes in the first month or two. We're not doctors but pain in your feet and hands is extremely common at first. The knee on the other hand... seems problematic. We have no clue what shape your body is in. Seems like typical american third-world country BS. Do what you have to do to survive regardless of whether you choose to continue to work here. After 30-70 days however you make union seniority and will have some good options moving forward.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Every manager that's not your direct manager loves you. Except the ones that actually have to manage you. Typical UPS.

Makes it weird when my old ORS comes by and tries to be buddy-buddy like you realize you just sentenced me to another year of preload.

SLW

When you tell your supervisor that you have a injury and think you need to be moved to a different area all UPS will see is a liability and a future headache. So they will fail you before you have union protection so that you can not grieve to get your job back.
Yeah suck it up until you have protection. You'll probably be feeling better by then anyway.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
YOU WILL NEVER BE A RPCD
✊🧔

Trying wearing this to work
ZlgwEg24rPhv9cju8K.gif

Dumbo

Any time somebody goes from sedentary to physical labor be it from a job or a work out program, or even just gardening, you will feel extremely sore and it will be hard to conceive of continuing. It's really up to you. Not to sound too harsh but you have to learn to deal with it or look for something else. Try and embrace it. Read David Goggins book.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

you are hurt
You are now a liability to ups
They will cut you loose as soon as possible

it sounds like you already have the easiest job in the building

McDonald’s is hiring