Alright guys, need your advice fedex home delivery

tropolis

Here's some real advice from someone other than a jaded express box monkey....

That pay structure can leave you high and dry if the volume isn't there. He can decide to add another truck and take some of your volume. Make sure you are given a minimum guaranteed stop amount or a minimum DAILY pay.

And 110 stops with 40 miles can be easily done in an 8 hour day with an HD route. If you really push it you can probably knock it out in 6 hours.

110 looks to be the minimum. I asked him if that was ok and he said for now yeah, but when holiday time comes it will pick up.

More I think about it, more I think I might go the seasonal route. If it's as bad as you guys say, then I'll leave at the beginning of the new year, so I don't end up being long term with them. And if for some reason I like it, then I stay on. Extra money will be nice, and I can use the time to figure out what I want to go back to school for in the spring semester.

Hate 150lb Packages

I like your spirit bro, and I am a hard charger like you. Those numbers are BEST CASE SCENARIO. Plus you're not factoring in morning, afternoon, and late afternoon pickups. Loading always takes longer. Not every package is a driver release. You have to hunt, you have to call, you have to deal with angry customers. If you run a rural route, it's even worse. 9 hours is a best case scenario, and that's with no PUPS considered. Something goes wrong daily. Trust me, the job will wear you down after about 6 months. I was cheery and ideological like you when I started. Now I'm emotionally dead at work. I don't despise it like many do. But I don't get much joy from it anymore. I'm stuck until one of my applications proves fruitful. I'd HIGHLY advise to request a ride along with a driver (NON contractor). Just ask them for a no BS analysis of what the job is like.

Hate 150lb Packages

Another thing that bothers me is that your 32k salary is INCLUDING your bonus. That is 4,800 dollars worth of discretionary wages the contractor controls. He may say you will get this or that, but what he says and what he pays may differ.

tropolis

Solid info guys. Going to sleep on it and make my decision in the morning. Nothing was agreed upon, so I can back out if I want.

For further clarification, all possible routes available are in the burbs. No rural, all compact. I know the areas.

Regardless of the decision, I don't plan on staying long term anyways.

purplesky

UPS is also a union shop. I have first hand experience of working in a union environment and it wasn't pretty. The union is one of the reasons why the place ended up folding up. Not a union fan.

I know many here have a built in negativity towards Fedex, which could distort there view. Obviously when several people are pointing out criticisms, I pay attention. At the same time it cannot be as bad as it is made out to be, and there must be some positive with the job.

So do you think UPS will be folding anytime soon? tropolis what union company did you work for? Did the union guys give you trouble about your tight short shorts and your half shirt? :wink2:

HomeDelivery

110 looks to be the minimum. I asked him if that was ok and he said for now yeah, but when holiday time comes it will pick up.

as holiday rolls in, you'll be expected to work 6 days a week Mon-Sat, so don't get a 2nd job if you're going to stay with that contractor. we have a 70-hour limit vs UPS 60-hour limit for the week

if you're going to be an hourly temp driver for an agency (FedEx still pays but through the temp agency instead of the middleman-sub-contractor), you can still work the regular Tues-Sat & just sign on with a contractor for Mondays as a supplemental

there will be a volume spike & if you can handle up to 200 stops a day in your area, more power to you. When the snow/ice hits the ground, be ready to bend over for your contractor since your SPORH goes to the toilet. If you're going w/ the temp agency CHA-CHING!

!Retired!

Tropolis - Nobody here can tell you what to do. But, there's a couple of things nobody mentioned.
1. Ask the drivers working for the contractor how the job/contractor is.
2. Ask the contractor if you can ride along for a day or 2 with someone.

Someone did mention, which is a good idea, for a minimum amount for the day.

Assuming the numbers you gave at the beginning for an example, you'd be making
$20 + (110*.70) + (110*.10) = $108/day not counting any 'bonus' you mentioned. Some areas, like mine, you can knock out 18-20 SPH. In other areas, you're lucky to hit 12-15 SPH. I'd figure how many hours you'd be working to do those 110 stops and if you're happy with that, go for it....if not, look elsewhere.

P.S. You need to love the job, not necessarily who you work for. If you don't like the job your doing, how much you make means nothing.

Nick9075

Don't do it... I am telling you that the job market is rapidly improving and in most parts of the country is as good as it was in the late 1990s.. I made a bad decision last year and analysed 'the numbers' like you are doing to buy several routes but unfortunately I didn't think I would be dealing with such scheming, underhanded slimy people (to put it nicely) and whenever I try to speak the truth (I tell it the way it is), a few contractors who are the lapdogs of FedEx mgmt come immediately attack me on this board in what seems to be in a NY minute. I am a contractor like I said the numbers look good on paper, in reality it turned out to be a money losing nightmare even with 3 routes in the greater NYC area.. I am not like many other contractors, I think it is almost criminal to expect someone to work 12-14 hours a day including loading the truck and making the deliveries and pay less than $800 a week, some believe that with 93% of the workforce employed with the average hourly wage in the USA at $25 an hour that they can pay $600 a week while they drive around in a 2010 later Mercedes E class Sedan and wear $200 sneakers, these types of contractors have somehow brainwashed their workers to think that is normal and that there aren't any other options.

Nick9075

Tropolis - Nobody here can tell you what to do. But, there's a couple of things nobody mentioned.
1. Ask the drivers working for the contractor how the job/contractor is.
2. Ask the contractor if you can ride along for a day or 2 with someone.

Someone did mention, which is a good idea, for a minimum amount for the day.

Assuming the numbers you gave at the beginning for an example, you'd be making
$20 + (110*.70) + (110*.10) = $108/day not counting any 'bonus' you mentioned. Some areas, like mine, you can knock out 18-20 SPH. In other areas, you're lucky to hit 12-15 SPH. I'd figure how many hours you'd be working to do those 110 stops and if you're happy with that, go for it....if not, look elsewhere.

P.S. You need to love the job, not necessarily who you work for. If you don't like the job your doing, how much you make means nothing.

$108 a day?? Is that before or after taxes are taken out?? That is just over $500 a week for 110 stops a day... And the bonus is as real as the tooth fairy just used to keep the worker in line so they don't ****** up with disputes "lost or Missing" packages so it costs the contractor his routes and his entire investment...
I mean I could understand during the recession and during 2010 & 2011 when there was still high unemployment in many places, now... one would have to be insane or truly desperate to even entertain the idea of having any thing to do with FedEx ground or home delivery...

Nick9075

More I think about it, more I think I might go the seasonal route. If it's as bad as you guys say, then I'll leave at the beginning of the new year, so I don't end up being long term with them. And if for some reason I like it, then I stay on. Extra money will be nice, and I can use the time to figure out what I want to go back to school for in the spring semester.

Believe me, you can earn alot more working in the trades as a laborer or even pulling cable....

TUT

It's a bit more than $15 an hour, no beni's, but if you are young, not huge, just not a career.

Who pays for fuel? Hey if you can only turn a $10 job otherwise, this is great.

Worst case scenario you quit or get fired. Always better looking for a better job while employed.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm glad to hear the job market is rapidly improving - unfortunately that phenomenon hasn't hit my corner of the world yet.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't do it... I am telling you that the job market is rapidly improving and in most parts of the country is as good as it was in the late 1990s.. I made a bad decision last year and analysed 'the numbers' like you are doing to buy several routes but unfortunately I didn't think I would be dealing with such scheming, underhanded slimy people (to put it nicely) and whenever I try to speak the truth (I tell it the way it is), a few contractors who are the lapdogs of FedEx mgmt come immediately attack me on this board in what seems to be in a NY minute. I am a contractor like I said the numbers look good on paper, in reality it turned out to be a money losing nightmare even with 3 routes in the greater NYC area.. I am not like many other contractors, I think it is almost criminal to expect someone to work 12-14 hours a day including loading the truck and making the deliveries and pay less than $800 a week, some believe that with 93% of the workforce employed with the average hourly wage in the USA at $25 an hour that they can pay $600 a week while they drive around in a 2010 later Mercedes E class Sedan and wear $200 sneakers, these types of contractors have somehow brainwashed their workers to think that is normal and that there aren't any other options.
Not attacking, Nick, but you don't back your statements up. Where did you go wrong? What expenses did you overlook? Why with the improving economy haven't you taken the $50 grand profit and gotten out? You have options. Why do you stay?