Am I unrealistic? Package handler age 41 and badly out of shape?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by PistolPete, Sep 17, 2018.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

I need your advice before I decide to apply. I worked as an unloader in Chicago area Hodgkins back in 2009 for two months before quitting. It wasn’t the physicality that I couldn’t handle — it was the pay. I’m not worried about that anymore, just whether I am too old and too fat now.

I’ve got the desire to tough it out but I was older than most ten years ago. Now I suspect I’m like a grandpa. And a fat one at that. I remember working with a really fat older guy who had a reputation for pissing himself. However he was no slouch unloading.

2. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

2 months? You're on the do not hire list, so don't bother.

3. Why would you wanna go back?

4. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

I got that overturned.

5. upschuck

When did you do that?

6. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

I’m having major job search career trouble.

7. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

Last Friday.

8. upschuck

How?

Then apply, and not worry what other people think if you are too old or not. They may even put you in an easier position.

9. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

I wrote about five hundred words in an email to HR.

Thanks a lot man. I’m not quitting this time if I can get past day one.

10. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

You a felon?

11. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

Nope. I was once pretty well off selling mortgages to brokers for a bank before getting laid off. Since then I got an ever larger gap on my resume which makes you virtually unhirable for banking. I’ve done a variety of crappy jobs ever since. I even had to deliver pizzas sometimes in the worst areas of Chicago. I quit because it was just too dangerous and I had to pay too much for gas. I came close to getting back on track in 2015 as a insurance premium auditor for workman’s comp but the training was atrocious.

My interview is in a few hours. I’d appreciate any prayers for my fat ass because Lord knows I’m going to need them if I do get rehired!

12. PeakMode

PeakMode Arrive Peak Leave

Approach it as if it is your work out. If you cant do it...apply for PT Supervisor after a week.l. Most of them dont know what they are doing.

13. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez New Member

I am 47 and I do evening Local Sort and help out Pre Load a few times a week annnnd do Saturday Air Delivery?Air Shuttle, as a Utility Driver. I wasn't in great shape, but I had to apply a few times to get HR to understand that I was serious.
    The first week was brutal, but it got better. I been doing it for almost a year and a half. REason why: The health benefits, Benefits, BENEFITS!! I worked 19 years in the real estate industry and don't want to lose it all because of health issues at this stage in the game. I am still self-employed, and health insurance was osting $756 per month with horrible coverage. Now, I can work out, slimmed down 6 pant sizes and feel really great with a paycheck!!! What's not to add up here. BTW, I am one of the quickest, most efficient workers on my shift. This old man got a lot of game left in him. Yes, Sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List