Amazon DSP driver here

Whither

Scofflaw
Good luck. I'm off the street, it can happen. I've never worked so hard non-stop in my life but it's totally worth it.

Thanks. I have a friend who was also off the street and has a decade of seniority now. Interviewing on Friday. I'll take the heavier workload in exchange for the prospect of earning 3 times the total pay I fetch today.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks. I have a friend who was also off the street and has a decade of seniority now. Interviewing on Friday. I'll take the heavier workload in exchange for the prospect of earning 3 times the total pay I fetch today.

You seem pretty well decided on your path, assuming it's available to you. But one other thing to consider is by going trades and getting licensed, you can start your own business and make as much money as you want. In most big cities it can take a month or longer just to get a plumber to stop in for a repair.

Whither

Scofflaw
You seem pretty well decided on your path, assuming it's available to you. But one other thing to consider is by going trades and getting licensed, you can start your own business and make as much money as you want. In most big cities it can take a month or longer just to get a plumber to stop in for a repair.

Good points. The interview went well. I even busted out the ironing board. Now I have to clear the background check, get chauffeur's & DOT credentials, pass the road test and training, then I'll have a foot in the door. I think it's worth it. Even if the pay ceiling is lower than a successful contractor in one of the trades.

1. There's a lot of hassle 2. I don't like sales, even if I can 'wine and dine' as well as the next guy 3. I can't imagine being a boss ... even as a customer I let things slide rather than threatening someone else's bread, they can have :censored2:ty days just like me ... I will never be a good 'union' man, because I prefer to take care of problems myself instead of having a gracious agent act on my behalf. Even the IWW in its glory days, before the Palmer Raids, wouldn't have been cut to my cloth. If that makes me a snowflake, so be it. On good days I'm 'extra'. In this society, I think that sometimes means "Oh :censored2:, here's a person who actually respects him/herself." But. To tell the truth, I think that no one respects themselves anywhere close to enough. I kow-tow too. I would also have to kow-tow as a contractor. The 'Market' decides everything.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
1. There's a lot of hassle 2. I don't like sales, even if I can 'wine and dine' as well as the next guy 3. I can't imagine being a boss ... even as a customer I let things slide rather than threatening someone else's bread, they can have :censored2:ty days just like me ... I will never be a good 'union' man, because I prefer to take care of problems myself instead of having a gracious agent act on my behalf. Even the IWW in its glory days, before the Palmer Raids, wouldn't have been cut to my cloth. If that makes me a snowflake, so be it. On good days I'm 'extra'. In this society, I think that sometimes means "Oh :censored2:, here's a person who actually respects him/herself." But. To tell the truth, I think that no one respects themselves anywhere close to enough. I kow-tow too. I would also have to kow-tow as a contractor. The 'Market' decides everything.

I hope driving works out for you. You should, however, understand a few things now that the new contract is in effect. First is they can only hire regular ground drivers off the street if they have exhausted all internal options. Next, If the center you are applying to has Saturday ground delivery, they will likely be hiring 22.4 drivers, which could do inside work as well as driving, and they will be driving Saturdays. Finally, 22.4's top out at $6/hr less than regular ground drivers.

As for the self-employment idea, not to try to convince you, but just for argument's sake:
1) You can hire someone to manage the hassle.
2) See number 1. But demand is so high just about everywhere, customers will have to wine and dine you.
3) You can still make really good money as one-man show, cuts down on a lot of hassle too. Just set your prices properly, and be firm. You can take on a charity case from time to time if it'll help you feel better about charging a lot. But if you want to run a crew you can have a business manager deal with the employee issues, you just make sure the jobs get done right.

If you're wondering why I'm not doing it right now, it's mostly because I'm not licensed in anything, and it would take me forever to get to that point. The idea is not completely off the table, and I could offer general handyman services, but that's like a plan c or d at this point, as it's not really the direction I want to go in.

Whither

Scofflaw
I hope driving works out for you. You should, however, understand a few things now that the new contract is in effect. First is they can only hire regular ground drivers off the street if they have exhausted all internal options. Next, If the center you are applying to has Saturday ground delivery, they will likely be hiring 22.4 drivers, which could do inside work as well as driving, and they will be driving Saturdays. Finally, 22.4's top out at $6/hr less than regular ground drivers.

As for the self-employment idea, not to try to convince you, but just for argument's sake:
1) You can hire someone to manage the hassle.
2) See number 1. But demand is so high just about everywhere, customers will have to wine and dine you.
3) You can still make really good money as one-man show, cuts down on a lot of hassle too. Just set your prices properly, and be firm. You can take on a charity case from time to time if it'll help you feel better about charging a lot. But if you want to run a crew you can have a business manager deal with the employee issues, you just make sure the jobs get done right.

If you're wondering why I'm not doing it right now, it's mostly because I'm not licensed in anything, and it would take me forever to get to that point. The idea is not completely off the table, and I could offer general handyman services, but that's like a plan c or d at this point, as it's not really the direction I want to go in.

Thanks. I know re: the 6:1 ratio, also that if I succeed as a seasonal and manage to get a permanent offer that I'd likely start as a 22.4 on the lower tier. But with seniority I could try and bid out of 22.4 into RPCD, right? And the contract stipulates, 1 22.4 for every 4 or 5 RPCDs?

Currently I'm forced to work every other weekend, and even with ~10 hours OT and bonus for no mis-deliveries, the most I gross hovers around $19/hr. HR told me UPS seasonals now fetch $21/hr. Trying to avoid the normal PT warehouse route, if at all possible: I'd have to make some tough decisions to pull it off. If I get this seasonal offer I won't burn bridges with Amazon since I might have to return. HR made it very clear that there are no guarantees. On the positive side, this center is very short-staffed in PC, e.g., 20-plus drivers short.

Once again you make sound points re: the trades. Unless the economy crashes and burns very soon, I still could go that route ... my eligibility letters are good for 2 years. That's basically my decision-window. I'm not getting any younger, ha.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks. I know re: the 6:1 ratio, also that if I succeed as a seasonal and manage to get a permanent offer that I'd likely start as a 22.4 on the lower tier. But with seniority I could try and bid out of 22.4 into RPCD, right? And the contract stipulates, 1 22.4 for every 4 or 5 RPCDs?

Currently I'm forced to work every other weekend, and even with ~10 hours OT and bonus for no mis-deliveries, the most I gross hovers around $19/hr. HR told me UPS seasonals now fetch $21/hr. Trying to avoid the normal PT warehouse route, if at all possible: I'd have to make some tough decisions to pull it off. If I get this seasonal offer I won't burn bridges with Amazon since I might have to return. HR made it very clear that there are no guarantees. On the positive side, this center is very short-staffed in PC, e.g., 20-plus drivers short.

Once again you make sound points re: the trades. Unless the economy crashes and burns very soon, I still could go that route ... my eligibility letters are good for 2 years. That's basically my decision-window. I'm not getting any younger, ha.

If they're that short staffed you've got a pretty good shot. Centers that can have 22.4's are supposed to limit them to 25% of number of RPCD's (can't remember if it's inclusive or not), though there is a weasel clause that allows them to increase that amount. Not sure if anyone really knows how the 22.4's will shake out, but if you got a 22.4 job, you could bid into regular ground.

Whether you will be given preference over part timers with more building seniority or not may depend on the regional contract or any local rider that may apply. Meaning you could be stuck in 22.4 for a long time before being able to win a bid on a rpcd job. But 36 bucks/hr in 4 years is still probably better than staying with Amazon.

Whither

Scofflaw
As for the latest re: my contractor's incompetence --

Saturday I reported as scheduled, despite never getting a firm yes or no from mgmt by Friday evening whether I was eligible to work (due to my dog bite this past Thurs and the workman's comp drug testing process ... got tested Fri afternoon -- I knew the results would be clean but I never heard if I was officially cleared to work). I did not have a route.

Before punching in I asked my lead dispatcher whether I was released or should punch in and pick up a route. This idiot gave me the run-around, and ofc hadn't even been informed re: my injury, let alone my status. He even stupidly told me it was my responsibility to learn whether or not I was cleared for work, lol. I said, "Okay, then I guess it's also my responsibility to determine my rate of pay, so I immediately award myself a raise to $40/hr with company-paid benefits." Very few drivers like this dispatcher, he's a real joke ... yells about petty things we've heard 100 times while we laugh, never has an answer when you need it. I tried to peg him down and, get this, he told me "I am not a manager!" My patience was exhausted. I punched in, yelling at him in front of 15 drivers, "How much more incompetent can this company get! You are the lead dispatcher today -- otherwise known as the manager on duty -- and you need to be professional. It is your responsibility to tell me whether I must stay or am released!" Finally, after 5-10 min of this nonsense, I think he got tired by my insults and called a higher-up. Who also didn't know whether or not I was eligible, ha.

I wound up picking up a route and working.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Don't burn that bridge yet, buddy!
Stay under the radar & don't put a target on thy back.

You'll need thicker skin than this when u put on that brownie uniform

Yes, I too have incompetent management, but they're learning real fast just to leave me alone since I'm one of the few that actually gives a damn servicing my customers... I know them better than my next door neighbors!

It's my Monday off since I was starting to burn out from 6 day work weeks. They need to rotate the workforce better

Whither

Scofflaw
Don't burn that bridge yet, buddy!
Stay under the radar & don't put a target on thy back.

You'll need thicker skin than this when u put on that brownie uniform

Yes, I too have incompetent management, but they're learning real fast just to leave me alone since I'm one of the few that actually gives a damn servicing my customers... I know them better than my next door neighbors!

It's my Monday off since I was starting to burn out from 6 day work weeks. They need to rotate the workforce better

Eh, would be surprising if I got anything more serious than a write-up. I let most things slide, but it's not the first time I've been blunt with mgmt. Within certain limits I can get away with it. Sounds like we're in similar standing at our respective companies. There may be 15 or 20 drivers with more 'seniority' than me now. Staff of 65-70 currently (was ~50 when I started). I've been there only 3 months, ha. They can't keep drivers, let alone decent drivers.

Good that you're getting a little breather. 6 day weeks during peak should be more than enough!

Whither

Scofflaw
I got the offer. And, as far as I understand: HR is willing to let me attempt to qualify as a permanent package car driver straightaway. I hope the media hoopla about the immanent automation of driving jobs is wrong. I hope to look for a job never again.

The Driver

I drive.
I got the offer. And, as far as I understand: HR is willing to let me attempt to qualify as a permanent package car driver straightaway. I hope the media hoopla about the immanent automation of driving jobs is wrong. I hope to look for a job never again.

I'm maxing out a 401(k) and an Roth IRA this year and every year that I'll be a driver from this year onward. Plus some set aside in regular savings. If :censored2: hits the fan I'll need to be able to have options.

Try to save 33% of your money. Make the sacrifice.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
HR is willing to let me attempt to qualify as a permanent package car driver straightaway

968B8729-2FA5-4FCA-BF00-52D96DCEF950.gif

Bob11B

Good luck man, seems like you have your priorities straight...hopefully yo just don’t get screwed and qualify. Best of luck

Whither

Scofflaw
I'm maxing out a 401(k) and an Roth IRA this year and every year that I'll be a driver from this year onward. Plus some set aside in regular savings. If :censored2: hits the fan I'll need to be able to have options.

Try to save 33% of your money. Make the sacrifice.

Good advice, thanks.