Amazon DSP driver here

Whither

Scofflaw
Idk. But stop flying down my :censored2:in street.

I'm that rare Amazon driver who will slow to 10-15mph on my 25mph limit resi streets depending on conditions. I try to show my trainees a good example, and emphasize safety again and again -- pointing out potential dangers throughout the day --, but management turns a blind eye and a lot of the drivers treat their routes as a race.

Whither

Scofflaw
Got my DOT medical card & 'for hire' license today. And my boots, which I'll be breaking in during my last 2 weeks with Amazon. All that's left is road test, training, and making book. I'm ready.

Whither

Scofflaw
Passed my road test, got my first two pairs of browns. Training begins in a couple weeks. HR confirmed: though I'm an off-the-street nobody, I have my one shot at permanent RPCD. The ORS said I "handled the vehicle with confidence." And said several other kind things during the test. I asked several questions, always gave my "yes sirs" and "thank you sirs." Prolly the last compliments I'll get at UPS. Gotta work on my mirror clearances -- these pkg cars are wide, got docked for swiping leaves (no dent, ofc) with my passenger side mirrors because was focusing on a stale green light on a narrow street -- and my tail swing. Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. Prolly will rent a 26' box truck on my next 2 weekends to get practice. The UPS mirror station kinda threw me a curveball, but it makes sense -- prolly just need my regular mirrors set up a little higher. Backed into a dock and the ORS said "Perfect: you couldn't fit a dime in there."

Like I said, I expect no further reassurances from here-on. I'm happy to seek all the criticism til -- fingers crossed -- I make book. Then I'll just do my damn job as safely and quickly as possible, without cutting corners, cause I want to do things the correct way, not ruin my body, and arrive home safely and as early as possible, whatever the metrics say. I'm treating training and the first 30 days as a modern parallel to the old Chinese bureaucracy exams. All the BC advice is duly noted; I know how to use search function, I also know not to scan or stop-complete during my breaks. Even though it's a different system and I'm off-the-street, I think Amazon gave me plenty of good experience managing time, sorting, and staying organized/a few steps ahead. Amazon dispatching is awful.

Whither

Scofflaw
9 days out from training and have yet to settle the shoe/boot question. Supe gave the seal of approval to the dark brown Timberland Pro Helix alloy-toed boots I wore during the road test, but like a fool I just ignored the blisters they caused my heels during 3 full Amazon routes. Might have to risk soft toes for a while til my heels, well, heal. Then again, been running that risk the last 4 months.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
9 days out from training and have yet to settle the shoe/boot question. Supe gave the seal of approval to the dark brown Timberland Pro Helix alloy-toed boots I wore during the road test, but like a fool I just ignored the blisters they caused my heels during 3 full Amazon routes. Might have to risk soft toes for a while til my heels, well, heal. Then again, been running that risk the last 4 months.

You don’t need Safety toed shoes. The extra weight will only hurt you in the long run. I like Danner Blackhawk 2 or Acadia 6”. Lots of guys wear red wings. They are a bit expensive but they can be re-soled and have lasted me 12 years.

As far as making book. Remember one simple rule. They can fire you for anything. No reason required. It sucks, but do as you’re told. Ask questions, to your supervisor so you show you’re learning. Ask the main route driver also, pick his/her brain.

Our dispatch is/can be just as bad. Learn to keep packages in your 30” selection area. Once the Sup is off car, sort on your lunch and breaks. Assume they will follow you. Assume they will watch you. Don’t cut corners outside of the truck. Three points of contact in and out. Don’t run, but definitely hustle. Show improvement. Show you care. Don’t waste time talking to customers for 20 minutes. Have the business customer show you once where they want their stuff. Put it there every time and jet.

Stay humble. Stay hydrated. Stay under the radar.

Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. It’s a lot different now, then when I qualified 14 years ago.

Whither

Scofflaw
You don’t need Safety toed shoes. The extra weight will only hurt you in the long run. I like Danner Blackhawk 2 or Acadia 6”. Lots of guys wear red wings. They are a bit expensive but they can be re-soled and have lasted me 12 years.

As far as making book. Remember one simple rule. They can fire you for anything. No reason required. It sucks, but do as you’re told. Ask questions, to your supervisor so you show you’re learning. Ask the main route driver also, pick his/her brain.

Our dispatch is/can be just as bad. Learn to keep packages in your 30” selection area. Once the Sup is off car, sort on your lunch and breaks. Assume they will follow you. Assume they will watch you. Don’t cut corners outside of the truck. Three points of contact in and out. Don’t run, but definitely hustle. Show improvement. Show you care. Don’t waste time talking to customers for 20 minutes. Have the business customer show you once where they want their stuff. Put it there every time and jet.

Stay humble. Stay hydrated. Stay under the radar.

Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. It’s a lot different now, then when I qualified 14 years ago.

Thanks for the sound advice, I'll be taking all of it. Re: safety toes, I know they're not required for driving but it's a hard trade-off: less weight vs. little protection if an irreg should ever land on my feet ... I'd say the boots slowed me down maybe a couple stops/hr on my Amazon routes.

I'm lucky to know a couple experienced drivers at the center. One I got to know the last few months bc my normal Amazon route overlaps his bid route. Always been encouraging since I told him my goal was driving for UPS. When I told him the news, he insisted that I do my driver ride-along with him and then jotted down his number, telling me to call him if I have any questions during my 30.

I'm prepared for it to be very challenging, at times even hellish, but my number one priorities heading in are learning to do the job safely and exactly the way my sup instructs. There are obviously differences, but I'd like to think I've built a basic skill-set driving for Amazon, e.g., staying organized, managing time, learning a route, taking the extra second to double-check my work, make sure I have a safe travel path, and so on. Months ago found the 340 online and began implementing them, so hopefully I won't have to shed too many bad habits.

Will definitely keep you posted. Got my 5s and 10s down, and more importantly, that's the way I drive.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Re: safety toes, I know they're not required for driving but it's a hard trade-off: less weight vs. little protection if an irreg should ever land on my feet ... I'd say the boots slowed me down maybe a couple stops/hr on my Amazon routes.

All well and good being safe, you want to be.... but “slowed me down maybe a couple stops/hr” can make or break you at ups. For the most part, that’s 80%+ what they grade you on. Keep them for after you made it. For now, break out the “walk at a brisk pace” boots.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
All well and good being safe, you want to be.... but “slowed me down maybe a couple stops/hr” can make or break you at ups. For the most part, that’s 80%+ what they grade you on. Keep them for after you made it. For now, break out the “walk at a brisk pace” boots.

Best of luck!

Excellent point, thanks.

Whither

Scofflaw
amazondriverdude said:
Whither, it's been 10 days. Did UPS work out?

Going fine through 3 full days of class. But it's far too early to tell. The test begins when my 30 days start -- likely next week, but won't find out until I get to my center on Fri for my ride-along day.

Whither

Scofflaw
Apparently not

Did you want me to give the play-by-play of my progress through the computer modules? It was fascinating. The whole class loved the DIAD one -- nothing like clicking the mouse to press buttons and touch keys on a virtual DIAD rather than, y'know, using an actual DIAD to complete the training drills.

A driver with 15 years of seniority spoke with us. Acquainted with him because I signed for countless packages he delivered to my former workplace. Great guy. Honest. Someone asked how many people qualify on average. Driver took a long look around the room then said maybe 25 percent of us would make the cut. I believe him.

Whither

Scofflaw
It's Friday, did you have your ride-along day?

Yup. 10.5 hr day on the books, but actually 11 since the driver didn't take a break. 216 stops, 320-ish pieces including pick-ups. I delivered most of the packages and did plenty of sorting. 90 percent resi, so was mostly 'driver release - front door' all day, just like front door/front porch marking at Amazon. Was paired with a cover driver who was running blind. I had run the same area one of my last Amazon routes. Tough route: narrow streets, few thru-streets, lots of dead-ends. Orion is as bad as they say, reminded me of Amazon dispatching.

It's the same job. Just a larger vehicle, some (or many) heavier/larger packages, pickups, a few more odds-and-ends, and the UPS strictures. Twice was almost attacked by dogs. Saw/heard them coming in advance. Raised hell fury, even threw a couple packages defending myself against the 100lb mutt who got within 5 feet of me, snapping. I was't going to get bitten. Not that I would ever surrender myself. But at UPS, if you're injured during your 30, you're DQ'ed.

Even had that good old wine case - sig required stop where the consignee tries to convince you to sign for her booze next time that she's not home. Text book, though of course we never covered any real world examples like this in training. The driver and I laughed all the way back to the package car. Never falsify a signature, not even in the holy name of customer service: that's an unofficial method that will keep you on the payroll.

My center might be more disorganized than Amazon, ha. I think it's just the nature of the beast in this industry. Was like pulling teeth when we returned to station to get info re: my schedule. I'm off for a week. Still don't know what day I start my 30, but either Mon the 24th or Tues 25th. But I secured my UPS ballcap, and got 3 pairs of short shorts on order and 3 more shirt jackets. Now I just have to get the damn socks.

Last edited:

amazondriverdude

If I had a wife and kids the money might be worth all the UPS politics and micromanagement, but damn, as a single guy I'm not sure I wanna deal with this even if a spot opened up. :) It sounds like their union is losing power anyways.

LarryBird

If I had a wife and kids the money might be worth all the UPS politics and micromanagement, but damn, as a single guy I'm not sure I wanna deal with this even if a spot opened up. :) It sounds like their union is losing power anyways.
Bro, we make 3x what you make. Whether you're single without kids, or not, it's worth the extra bull:censored2: and workload.

Do you want a :censored2:ty job or a decent career?

It comes down to what you want in life, but people who make $16 per hour are basically losers, in my book, and they're gonna live a :censored2:ty life.

UPS affords you the income to own a nice home, send kids to decent schools, have a couple nice cars, take vacations/travel, etc. Would anyone say the same about driving for Amazon? Are people going to have 40 year careers where they retire with a pension from Amazon?

People here talk a lot of :censored2: about the teamsters, and rightly so, but those same people would gladly pay double the dues they pay now when their job is on the line and the teamsters get it back for them. This is where they're still worth it, and one of the things they still do well. They keep ups from getting rid of us for whatever nonsense reasons they would otherwise come up with. $90 per month for job security isn't a large price to pay - especially when you make close to $8k per avg. month at UPS.

It will be fine

Try Ground, similar job, better pay than Amazon and little management.