Amazon is going to put UPS and FedEx out of business

Our sales rep said he had a conference call this week about Amazon. As of now he said UPS sees them as a competitor and no longer just a customer. Im sure its different from hub to hub but our Amazon volume is drying up fast as their fleet grows exponentially. My route never got cut now its out a few days a week. Losing amazon volume is no biggie....Problem is when/If they start knocking on business doors to get that B to B volume. Thats where the money is. Not saying the ship is sinking but its not a bad idea to atleast know where the lifejackets are. Just my 2 cents.
DHL ground.,..,

A

Article 3

If seven days a week service is a company's target I'm sure that will help them out if their service is lacking in a residential arena but businesses have built their "no stock" inventory on the strength of shipping companies that get their parts and sold goods to them (and the customer) on time and as promised.

That service is only as good as the work force driving it.

UPSers have risen to be number one in that arena for years and that is our only hope of retaining market share... exemplary service and customer relationships that have been cultivated for many years.

Orion is good for some things but often destroys the one thing UPS has always been known for.... consistency.

Now we are often consistently inconsistent.

Becoming inconsistent and more expensive is a losing combination.

Just my opinion.

LarryBird

If seven days a week service is a company's target I'm sure that will help them out if their service is lacking in a residential arena but businesses have built their "no stock" inventory on the strength of shipping companies that get their parts and sold goods to them (and the customer) on time and as promised.

That service is only as good as the work force driving it.

UPSers have risen to be number one in that arena for years and that is our only hope of retaining market share... exemplary service and customer relationships that have been cultivated for many years.

Orion is good for some things but often destroys the one thing UPS has always been known for.... consistency.

Now we are often consistently inconsistent.

Becoming inconsistent and more expensive is a losing combination.

Just my opinion.
If I had a dollar for every customer that's said to me since orion came around, "for 20 years straight I got my packages everyday at ______am/pm, and now it's a different time everyday and a different driver half the time", I'd have a couple hundred bucks, at least.

Our commercial customers hate orion.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
If I had a dollar for every customer that's said to me since orion came around, "for 20 years straight I got my packages everyday at ______am/pm, and now it's a different time everyday and a different driver half the time", I'd have a couple hundred bucks, at least.

Our commercial customers hate orion.
All the routes I cover I ran before Orion, so I know how to selectively ignore Orion to make service. The problem is new drivers who know nothing but Orion, and we’ve been doing a lot of hiring recently.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All the routes I cover I ran before Orion, so I know how to selectively ignore Orion to make service. The problem is new drivers who know nothing but Orion, and we’ve been doing a lot of hiring recently.
But why bother? They’ve made it clear they don’t want me to make decisions anymore. They want a robot to do they job. I’ll be a good little robot

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
There are so many scenarios in Orion that could cause an accident. The other day I found myself driving down a skinny, soft dirt road trying to get to the next stop. There was a barricade at the end of the road, nowhere to turn around. I got out and scanned the pkg and the gps popped up red. Turns out, that section of the street belongs to a neighboring route. I had to do a quarter mile back to get out of there, then break for a half hour to get the stop done.
Hilarious. I was cracking up out loud through the whole thing. One of these new guys are going to end up driving off a cliff

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
There are so many scenarios in Orion that could cause an accident. The other day I found myself driving down a skinny, soft dirt road trying to get to the next stop. There was a barricade at the end of the road, nowhere to turn around. I got out and scanned the pkg and the gps popped up red. Turns out, that section of the street belongs to a neighboring route. I had to do a quarter mile back to get out of there, then break for a half hour to get the stop done.
Hilarious. I was cracking up out loud through the whole thing. One of these new guys are going to end up driving off a cliff
I’ve come across several instances where Orion has county roads in a weird sequence. Turns out the computer thinks those roads are connected on the map when it’s really an inaccessible farm road.

Re-Raise

That's hard to do when you been on a route a long time.
Orion had me delivering the 4 next day air pkgs to a hospital as my 2nd stop Wednesday ...and then delivering the other 25pkgs for them as my 127th stop!

Their receiving dock would have been closed for an hour and a half by the time I got back.

The brilliance is staggering

I don't think UPS even realizes how much we as drivers cover up for the mismanagement and incompetence that goes on a day to day basis.

They honestly think they are doing a fantastic job up in corporate. I'm sure of it.
We need to get back to the Jim Casey days
Take care of the customers and the employees

Dritalin

I'm driving for Amazon this summer while between things. I've cover driver and done a Holliday season in brown and work inside right now.

Amazon is getting a really great deal exploiting the contract model. Still a good driver does 150 stops TOPS. It's all small, probably 75 percent envelopes and its hard to see how they can be delivering them cheaper than USPS was. About zero chance these drivers will be hauling up the AC units.

UPS is safe for now.