Amazon is going to put UPS and FedEx out of business

LarryBird

With or without the union whose current leadership will be dust by then.
Follow the money.

Twenty years from now this company will be vastly different and the new drivers who were never mentored in what real customer service is will be the norm...and it will further dilute our customer base due to higher labor costs.

Will the current union survive? Will hard earned pensions survive?

Most of them have no clue or interest in what the customer wants. They just don't want to lose their multiple pensions and trips to the fancy venues where hearings are heard on the dime of UPSers "who aren't real Teamsters" but lead the industry in galley slave labor and deal with more harassment (from any like shipping company) via lame useless supervisors that came out of a trailer unload after 60 days and are now the "boss".

This thing will be hard to keep together when the competition ramps up at half the cost (or less) unless we find a better way forward with input from the people who truly write our checks...the small to medium sized businesses who pay the highest shipping costs.
Are starting to look like we don't care?

Just my honest opinion.
The thing is, is that in twenty years UPS will be at the beginning stage of, or approaching a radically different business model - driverless technology should be approved and implemented some time near this date, one would imagine. I'm not sure if UPS vehicle's will still have an "occupant", in lieu of a driver, who will only deliver the packages, much like a driver helper does currently, or whether they will have developed some type of technology that will also phase out the need for the human to actually get the packages to the delivery point/consignee.

If I had to bet, I'd wager that there's no need for the human occupant. If not twenty years down the road, the human component to this service will definitely be gone in thirty - there's no way UPS still employs a driver in 2050.

This is inevitable, unless legislature prohibits this tech, in the interest of job preservation. But the way the tide is going, there won't be any fight from Congress against Silicon Valley, for little-old regular citizens. The money always wins.

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
There is no more "service" in United parcel service.
No company is too big to fail and go under....
Take care of the people ( customers) they pay the bills

specter208

I'm bricked out every day now I've actually grown to love it. They can't give me any more (until they give me a trailer to tow every day again, fingers crossed) so I only have like 100 stops.

They can't give me any more pickups even though they just keep giving me more at my route keeps getting denser. I leave the building bricked, I come back to the building bricked, and my neighbors do two or three of my pickups every day cause I blow out on pickups.

Ups gonna have to build a p1400

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 257
A

Article 3

The thing is, is that in twenty years UPS will be at the beginning stage of, or approaching a radically different business model - driverless technology should be approved and implemented some time near this date, one would imagine. I'm not sure if UPS vehicle's will still have an "occupant", in lieu of a driver, who will only deliver the packages, much like a driver helper does currently, or whether they will have developed some type of technology that will also phase out the need for the human to actually get the packages to the delivery point/consignee.

If I had to bet, I'd wager that there's no need for the human occupant. If not twenty years down the road, the human component to this service will definitely be gone in thirty - there's no way UPS still employs a driver in 2050.

This is inevitable, unless legislature prohibits this tech, in the interest of job preservation. But the way the tide is going, there won't be any fight from Congress against Silicon Valley, for little-old regular citizens. The money always wins.
20 years equals another 3 cbas and I'm not sure whether a strike will end it due to pension issues(wheras we know this will not make things better), a decent buyout will cap it, or the company will bully the hourly (union) with a last, best, and final offer that will truly be the last one.

Depending on who is the leadership in the ibt I would wager that we're in for more of the same tactics like used on freight to bully people to either cross the line or just vote concessions in just to keep from gambling.
What do we have left?
Exactly. The Express people would likely go. Honestly I can't believe they haven't merged the air op's to ground yet.

It's coming
Why did they start painting the ground delivery vehicles the same colors as express?
Maybe our Capt Obvious college degree supes can answer that one.

20 years equals another 3 cbas and I'm not sure whether a strike will end it due to pension issues(wheras we know this will not make things better), a decent buyout will cap it, or the company will bully the hourly (union) with a last, best, and final offer that will truly be the last one.

Depending on who is the leadership in the ibt I would wager that we're in for more of the same tactics like used on freight to bully people to either cross the line or just vote concessions in just to keep from gambling.
What do we have left?

Why did they start painting the ground delivery vehicles the same colors as express?
Maybe our Capt Obvious college degree supes can answer that one.
Express is going to outsourced self to Grand race to the bottom

A

Article 3

FedEx 2019 revenue is 65.45 billion USD. UPS 2019 revenue is 71.86 billion USD. UPS pays employees better from my understanding (never worked for FedEx). I am also told Fed Ex drivers have to load their own trucks... I see Fed Ex falling on their face first.

So does Amazon have an active contract with UPS? Is Amazon just another corporate account that gets commercial discounts? Do they pay discounted rates because of their volume? Do they have some contract written up so they get special treatment? Since Fed Ex "canceled their contract" does that mean Fed Ex refuses to serve Amazon? Did Amazon entirely remove "Fed ex" as a shipping option??

(Random scattered thoughts. But now they are out there)
The news releases said that fdx was no longer going to rewrite their domestic contract with Am for only domestic overnite commits.
It was reported that this did not include exported overnite volume.

They also looked to slow the growth of Am. by not catering to their program anymore.

Zowert

UPS has had challenges and competitors for 115 years. They're still around.

They'll still be here in another 100 years.

It might be a radically different industry, but UPS will adapt and overcome, and stay viable in whatever the delivery/logistics business morphs into in the future.

That much I'm certain of.

I agree with this. However, in history, empires eventually collapse. Being around a long time doesn’t guarantee anything.

LarryBird

I'm just noticing today that we still have quite a bit of Amazon smalls and envelopes on my area, in addition to their bulk garbage. There must not be Amazon drivers up here.

It's definitely not a money making delivery area - basically 180 miles and 100 stops would be what an Amazon driver would do, if I add the mileage from the nearest ADC to what I do.

Probably more miles to get 100 stops, now that I think about it, since it's only Amazon.

iowa boy

Amazon delivery will go out of business if they hire enough of our current and former management to run it

No, UPS needs to sell them a version of ORION. This along with our former management and some current management moving, will help to speed the demise of Amazon's delivery business.

Mack37

You never know what will happen but I think a big thing to keep an eye is the postal service. Will they continue to shrink or are they going to ramp up to make packages their priority? I know the new proposed vehicles for the carriers are all more designed around packages so who knows.

They have massive infrastructure and any retooling they need can be added with an interest free loan from the treasury. I very much doubt the Feds will let Amazon cripple UPS, FedEx and the USPS.

I know the three rely on each other for different things so I wish they would band together with this against Amazon.

A

Article 3

You never know what will happen but I think a big thing to keep an eye is the postal service. Will they continue to shrink or are they going to ramp up to make packages their priority? I know the new proposed vehicles for the carriers are all more designed around packages so who knows.

They have massive infrastructure and any retooling they need can be added with an interest free loan from the treasury. I very much doubt the Feds will let Amazon cripple UPS, FedEx and the USPS.

I know the three rely on each other for different things so I wish they would band together with this against Amazon.
1.) The USPS lost the same amount of billions UPS made last year. I'm sure they are able to staff their operations and buy lots of new trucks with interest free loans from the government. Trump doesn't like their monopoly and wasting the taxpayers money is not a popular subject with this administration.

2.) Looks like they struggle getting done what they have already. Their service that is supposed to be their cash cow is reportedly struggling to make money lately. Good luck with becoming the next big player.

3.) Massive infrastructure is only as good as the people who run it. Take away their monopoly and all that structure will drag them to the bottom of the lake.

We need to keep giving the PO money. Right. May as well flush it down the toilet.

Mack37

1.) The USPS lost the same amount of billions UPS made last year. I'm sure they are able to staff their operations and buy lots of new trucks with interest free loans from the government. Trump doesn't like their monopoly and wasting the taxpayers money is not a popular subject with this administration.

2.) Looks like they struggle getting done what they have already. Their service that is supposed to be their cash cow is reportedly struggling to make money lately. Good luck with becoming the next big player.

3.) Massive infrastructure is only as good as the people who run it. Take away their monopoly and all that structure will drag them to the bottom of the lake.

We need to keep giving the PO money. Right. May as well flush it down the toilet.

Someone is a little bitter about the postal service I see. Trump can piss and moan all he wants but there is little he can do and he knows it. Their monopoly is what costs them the most money, if you can find a company that will serve every American with first class mail for the same price I would like to see it. We won’t get into the prefund mandate as that’s a whole other ball of wax.

If you’d rather keep USPS as a competitor (enemy it sounds like) then an ally then so be it. Just remember though, regardless of what Trump says the postal service isn’t going anywhere.

A

Article 3

Someone is a little bitter about the postal service I see. Trump can piss and moan all he wants but there is little he can do and he knows it. Their monopoly is what costs them the most money, if you can find a company that will serve every American with first class mail for the same price I would like to see it. We won’t get into the prefund mandate as that’s a whole other ball of wax.

If you’d rather keep USPS as a competitor (enemy it sounds like) then an ally then so be it. Just remember though, regardless of what Trump says the postal service isn’t going anywhere.
Bitter? No dude, just realistic.

You make them seem like a quality competitor when they limp along every year losing money. Heck, the only period they made money was during and after our strike in 97.

Yeah, they're not going anywhere. That's not my point. You can't polish that turd but you can paint it any color in this forum. SMH

BTW: we weren't talking about first class mail Einstein. Changing the subject doesn't make your point seem valid.

Mack37

Bitter? No dude, just realistic.

You make them seem like a quality competitor when they limp along every year losing money. Heck, the only period they made money was during and after our strike in 97.

Yeah, they're not going anywhere. That's not my point. You can't polish that turd but you can paint it any color in this forum. SMH

BTW: we weren't talking about first class mail Einstein. Changing the subject doesn't make your point seem valid.

They seem like a quality competitor because they are. They can do everything UPS can do except their sole mission is to provide uniform, competitive service to ALL Americans and not just make money. In fact, they’re not even supposed to make a profit but if that bothers you I suggest you get in contact with your congressman as they run the show in that department.

So they play the package game and have first class as well and all of this has to be available to every American citizen. To do this requires not only more employees than UPS but also requires far more facilities and vehicles. Gee I wonder why they’re losing money.

Take a package and go compare rates at the post office vs UPS and tell me which one is cheaper. A :censored2: ton cheaper I might add. Part of that whole affordability for the American people thing.

Yes I brought up first class because you don’t get one without the other. Are we going to allow priority to go private and let first class go away? Let me know how that goes over with the American people.

KoennenTiger

Ok fair deal I'll write my congressman again and tell him that it's total BS to have a money losing tax payer supported gov agency delivering packages. Stick to your junk mail post man. And don't forget to thank me for paying your salary.

A

Article 3

They seem like a quality competitor because they are. They can do everything UPS can do except their sole mission is to provide uniform, competitive service to ALL Americans and not just make money. In fact, they’re not even supposed to make a profit but if that bothers you I suggest you get in contact with your congressman as they run the show in that department.

So they play the package game and have first class as well and all of this has to be available to every American citizen. To do this requires not only more employees than UPS but also requires far more facilities and vehicles. Gee I wonder why they’re losing money.

Take a package and go compare rates at the post office vs UPS and tell me which one is cheaper. A :censored2: ton cheaper I might add. Part of that whole affordability for the American people thing.

Yes I brought up first class because you don’t get one without the other. Are we going to allow priority to go private and let first class go away? Let me know how that goes over with the American people.
We were talking about package not mailed letters.
Ramble on dude.
They're losing money with all that infrastructure, vehicles, and employees? I thought that made them a viable competitor? Oh, that's right. They're maintaining unbudgeted staffing and assets (according to your wisdom) because they don't have to make a profit....

although they strive to everyday.

Great plan. Poor reasoning and dodgeball won't blur the fact that their work ethic is directly tied to the fact that they can run in the red every year and still have a job.

Mack37

Ok fair deal I'll write my congressman again and tell him that it's total BS to have a money losing tax payer supported gov agency delivering packages. Stick to your junk mail post man. And don't forget to thank me for paying your salary.

Well unless your buying postage or mailing packages your not paying anybody’s salary. I’m assuming you do though so thanks.