Amazon is going to put UPS and FedEx out of business

LarryBird

We need to get back to the Jim Casey days
Take care of the customers and the employees
As a FT driver, there's not much more I could ask for from UPS than matching our 401k contributions, but I agree we've slacked off on customer service as a company.

The sad part is, the drivers are fighting the company to serve our customers, and we hear on a daily basis what their needs and wants are, but the company is focusing their efforts in a different direction right now.

Foolishly, I might add.

Technology is great and all, but it's the large commercial accounts that keep the lights on. If we continue to neglect them, so that we can deliver ungodly amounts of residentials everyday, they'll find someone else to take care of them better...and cheaper.

LarryBird

I'm driving for Amazon this summer while between things. I've cover driver and done a Holliday season in brown and work inside right now.

Amazon is getting a really great deal exploiting the contract model. Still a good driver does 150 stops TOPS. It's all small, probably 75 percent envelopes and its hard to see how they can be delivering them cheaper than USPS was. About zero chance these drivers will be hauling up the AC units.

UPS is safe for now.
UPS has had challenges and competitors for 115 years. They're still around.

They'll still be here in another 100 years.

It might be a radically different industry, but UPS will adapt and overcome, and stay viable in whatever the delivery/logistics business morphs into in the future.

That much I'm certain of.

A

Article 3

But why bother? They’ve made it clear they don’t want me to make decisions anymore. They want a robot to do they job. I’ll be a good little robot
spiseo.jpg

....with your missed pkgs.

A

Article 3

UPS has had challenges and competitors for 115 years. They're still around.

They'll still be here in another 100 years.

It might be a radically different industry, but UPS will adapt and overcome, and stay viable in whatever the delivery/logistics business morphs into in the future.

That much I'm certain of.
With or without the union whose current leadership will be dust by then.
Follow the money.

Twenty years from now this company will be vastly different and the new drivers who were never mentored in what real customer service is will be the norm...and it will further dilute our customer base due to higher labor costs.

Will the current union survive? Will hard earned pensions survive?

Most of them have no clue or interest in what the customer wants. They just don't want to lose their multiple pensions and trips to the fancy venues where hearings are heard on the dime of UPSers "who aren't real Teamsters" but lead the industry in galley slave labor and deal with more harassment (from any like shipping company) via lame useless supervisors that came out of a trailer unload after 60 days and are now the "boss".

This thing will be hard to keep together when the competition ramps up at half the cost (or less) unless we find a better way forward with input from the people who truly write our checks...the small to medium sized businesses who pay the highest shipping costs.
Are starting to look like we don't care?

Just my honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

With or without the union whose current leadership will be dust by then.
Follow the money.

Twenty years from now this company will be vastly different and the new drivers who were never mentored in what real customer service is will be the norm...and it will further dilute our customer base due to higher labor costs.

Will the current union survive? Will hard earned pensions survive?

Most of them have no clue or interest in what the customer wants. They just don't want to lose their multiple pensions and trips to the fancy venues where hearings are heard on the dime of UPSers "who aren't real Teamsters" but lead the industry in galley slave labor and deal with more harassment (from any like shipping company) via lame useless supervisors that came out of a trailer unload after 60 days and are now the "boss".

This thing will be hard to keep together when the competition ramps up at half the cost (or less) unless we find a better way forward with input from the people who truly write our checks...the small to medium sized businesses who pay the highest shipping costs.
Are starting to look like we don't care?

Just my honest opinion.

Sad but true. It’s going to eventually be very difficult to compete once we’ve completely sunk to their level (or worse) of customer service AND while costing substantially more.

Overpaid Union Thug

We would already be in trouble if there was someone who could handle our volume. Until then?

Until then we ride this slowly sinking ship to the bottom by continuing to do the bidding of corporate robots in Atlanta that have the short term goals of our stockholders (and their own dividends in mind) at heart and could care less about the long term success of UPS. Let alone care about customers.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We are currently buried in Amazon. Only the big cities have Amazon drivers while us in the smaller towns don’t.

Recently Amazon cut ties with OnTrac then a few weeks later FedEx dumped them. So for us it’s either USPS or UPS delivering it.

We’ve been running peak numbers with helper teams and currently are running as many routes as we can. Unfortunately lack of bin spaces and DIAD’s are limiting how many routes we can run.

Here in the SF Bay Area we are really struggling to attract employees. Even with our MRA of $17.50 we still can’t keep part timers.

Driver scale is below average for most entry level jobs around here which has created two types of drivers....veterans with 15 plus years and the newer employees who have zero commitment to the company and who could seriously give zero friend&@ks about the job.

Star B

White Lightening
Amazon drivers are delivering a lot of envelopes. Former FedEx volume? No way they are breaking even on it yet.
For the most part, what we got were irregs. If you're seeing a ton of amzn envelopes, you must be in a rural area where the RCAs have revolted or something. That was what I always got in my eight bars and a post office towns.

FedEx 2019 revenue is 65.45 billion USD. UPS 2019 revenue is 71.86 billion USD. UPS pays employees better from my understanding (never worked for FedEx). I am also told Fed Ex drivers have to load their own trucks... I see Fed Ex falling on their face first.

So does Amazon have an active contract with UPS? Is Amazon just another corporate account that gets commercial discounts? Do they pay discounted rates because of their volume? Do they have some contract written up so they get special treatment? Since Fed Ex "canceled their contract" does that mean Fed Ex refuses to serve Amazon? Did Amazon entirely remove "Fed ex" as a shipping option??

(Random scattered thoughts. But now they are out there)

Star B

White Lightening
at Express, we load ours and maybe one or two more trucks in the AM. Some of the other couriers are somewhere else on the sort or are late starters (as 4x10s)

I don't see us falling first. We can run cheaper than you can on the ground front, we can be more nimble than you are because we don't have the union tying us down (Not that's a good thing for Expressers)

I would really start playing chicken little if they merge the delivery opcos. THEN we are in trouble.

Johney

at Express, we load ours and maybe one or two more trucks in the AM. Some of the other couriers are somewhere else on the sort or are late starters (as 4x10s)

I don't see us falling first. We can run cheaper than you can on the ground front, we can be more nimble than you are because we don't have the union tying us down (Not that's a good thing for Expressers)

I would really start playing chicken little if they merge the delivery opcos. THEN we are in trouble.
Exactly. The Express people would likely go. Honestly I can't believe they haven't merged the air op's to ground yet.