Amazon jacks up shipping cost

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was just watching the news, Amazon jacked their free shipping up on purchases over $35 instead of the previous $25 minimum. Merry Christmas!

over9five

Staff member
I read this today on the news, I think it sucks. I know Amazon says they haven't raised it in over ten years, but that's a hell of a raise!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They're just raising the minimum threshold to force people to buy more stuff so expect the dumb boxes to get bigger again in time for peak

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
And people will pay. Christmas is upon us.

Amazon is the 800 pound Gorilla and I imagine the other virtual stores will follow suit soon. There has been much discussion by industry analysts whether all the free shipping can continue much longer. Many states already require online merchants to charge tax and when free shipping goes away, the brick and mortar stores will see some business coming their way.

JL 0513

I've always been amazed and curious how Amazon managed to offer any "free" shipping. We know, more than anyone, that shipping is far from free. Clearly, Amazon builds shipping into other customer costs. Not having brick and mortar outlets creates a lot of capitol to work with thus allowing "free" shipping.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Smart move by Amazon. It's not gonna hurt their sales, if anything it will help them.
I've added a random item more than once to bump over the free super saver shipping minimum. Pay $10 in shipping, or just add $10 of product and get free shipping.... kind of a no brainer.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They have also stopped giving free shipping on "add on" items even with prime. You have to hit 25 bucks on the total order to get the free shipping you already paid prime for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They have also stopped giving free shipping on "add on" items even with prime. You have to hit 25 bucks on the total order to get the free shipping you already paid prime for.

True but the "Add on items" are really cheap.
​I just put them in my cart until I have an order it can piggyback with.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
True but the "Add on items" are really cheap.
​I just put them in my cart until I have an order it can piggyback with.
Same here, just saying when we signed up for prime 6 years ago there was no such restriction. This is for anyone but if you have a .edu email you can get prime for 49.99 as a student account, same as a regular one but you get the discounted subscription price for 4 years, FWIW.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Same here, just saying when we signed up for prime 6 years ago there was no such restriction. This is for anyone but if you have a .edu email you can get prime for 49.99 as a student account, same as a regular one but you get the discounted subscription price, FWIW.
As an instructor at a local college I might be able to get a .edu e-mail.
Thanks for that info.
​I already get Adobe stuff at educational prices.