American Patriot.

rickyb

Just because they have information about me doesn't mean they stole it.
You know what's great about google?
They know what music I like, I say "ok google, play music" and they play good music.
They know what news topics I'm interested in, I say "ok google, tell me the news", and they play podcasts I like. I say "ok google, remind me to ___ at ___ and they add it to my calendar, and remind me later. They know my typical travel schedule and push traffic alerts and destination times to my phone at the right times. They know where I am, and give me weather alerts.

The fact that they can aggregate this information and make it useful is a service, not a crime. No one is stealing anything kid, if you don't want them to have the information, don't freaking give it to them. Just hide in your parent's basement and let the world and all the benefits of technology pass you by.
Clean Water/Throwing Rocks At The Google Bus – Ralph Nader Radio Hour

Douglas Rushkoff is a prolific writer, documentarian, and lecturer whose work focuses on human autonomy in a digital age. He is the author of fifteen bestselling books on media, technology, and society, including Program or Be Programmed, Present Shock and Coercion: Why We Listen to What “They” Say. He has made such award-winning PBS Frontline documentaries as “Generation Like,” “Merchants of Cool,” and “The Persuaders,” and is the author of the graphic novels Testament and Aleister & Adolf . He also hosts his own podcast called “Team Human”. And his latest book is entitled Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus: How Growth Became the Enemy of Prosperity.

“We’re taking the smartest kids out of Stanford and teaching them what’s called ‘captology’ in the labs of BJ Fogg how to elicit these Pavlovian responses to every bell and swipe and text and button on our smartphones, so that every swipe we make on our smartphone, it gets smarter about us as we get dumber about it.” Douglas Rushkoff, author of Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus: How Growth Became the Enemy of Prosperity

rickyb

the real patriots are the ones who engage in the right kind political struggle to make america and the world a better place:

DLAKjrnVAAAlDve.jpg

rickyb

Just because they have information about me doesn't mean they stole it.
You know what's great about google?
They know what music I like, I say "ok google, play music" and they play good music.
They know what news topics I'm interested in, I say "ok google, tell me the news", and they play podcasts I like. I say "ok google, remind me to ___ at ___ and they add it to my calendar, and remind me later. They know my typical travel schedule and push traffic alerts and destination times to my phone at the right times. They know where I am, and give me weather alerts.

The fact that they can aggregate this information and make it useful is a service, not a crime. No one is stealing anything kid, if you don't want them to have the information, don't freaking give it to them. Just hide in your parent's basement and let the world and all the benefits of technology pass you by.
PRIVACY - How we protect you

Your privacy is under attack!

privacy_under_attack.png
Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms, the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Tracking your searches can erode your privacy and lead to censorship.

In addition, those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers, government officials, black-hat hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private search data.

Why should you worry?
Major search engines have quietly amassed the largest database of personal information on individuals ever collected. Unfortunately, this data can all too easily fall into the wrong hands. Consider the following story:

In August 2006, the online world was jarred when AOL accidentally released three months' worth of aggregated search data from 650,000 of its users, publishing all the details in an online database.

That database is still searchable. It is an absolute eye-opener to see the potential for privacy nightmares.

» Enter a query and find who searched for it
» Then click on a "User ID" to find what else this user searched for

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
PRIVACY - How we protect you

Your privacy is under attack!

privacy_under_attack.png
Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms, the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Tracking your searches can erode your privacy and lead to censorship.

In addition, those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers, government officials, black-hat hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private search data.

Why should you worry?
Major search engines have quietly amassed the largest database of personal information on individuals ever collected. Unfortunately, this data can all too easily fall into the wrong hands. Consider the following story:

In August 2006, the online world was jarred when AOL accidentally released three months' worth of aggregated search data from 650,000 of its users, publishing all the details in an online database.

That database is still searchable. It is an absolute eye-opener to see the potential for privacy nightmares.

» Enter a query and find who searched for it
» Then click on a "User ID" to find what else this user searched for
AOL still had 650,000 users in 2006?
What was their average age, 76?
Yawn.

rickyb

just watched this documentary where if you suck, you get promoted. if you succeed, you get your house invaded gun point by the FBI. 9/11 to some is a big pay day. and to others something that was completely preventable.

and o yea these guys invented the program which made the illegal mass surveillance we still all have unnecessary and inefficient.

rickyb

extremely dangerous.

americans had better turn onto their government before their government turns on them:

Edward Snowden‏Verified account @Snowden 3h3 hours ago

House votes 256-164 to expand Trump's warrantless surveillance powers for the next six years. The vote to reform warrantless searches of Americans' phone calls and e-mails failed, needing the support of 26 more. Dems could have swung it, but 55 of them voted with the Trump camp.

rickyb

you gotta be stupid to have this crap in your house.

if you want your life to be better, get rid of capitalism. or do something political to actually make the world better.

orwell was prescient.

Stacy Mitchell‏ @stacyfmitchell 7h7 hours ago

Amazon’s Alexa interfaces directly with the police. "The next iteration of the pilot program, expected to launch by year’s end, will allow users to report crimes directly to their smart speakers.” https://theintercept.com/2018/03/09/amazon-echo-alexa-uk-police/ …

DYGBkPBX0AAcwGk.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm mostly conservative, and I agree that everyone who wrote, voted for and renewed the Patriot act are the traitors, not Snowden. I was actually taken aback when I found out that most other conservatives I know have it backwards. Even the ones who are as anti-government as they come. I guess the only amendment some of these guys care about is the second, but the fourth is just as important.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
you gotta be stupid to have this crap in your house.

if you want your life to be better, get rid of capitalism. or do something political to actually make the world better.

orwell was prescient.

Stacy Mitchell‏ @stacyfmitchell 7h7 hours ago

Amazon’s Alexa interfaces directly with the police. "The next iteration of the pilot program, expected to launch by year’s end, will allow users to report crimes directly to their smart speakers.” https://theintercept.com/2018/03/09/amazon-echo-alexa-uk-police/ …

DYGBkPBX0AAcwGk.jpg
For once, I agree wholeheartedly with you. No way would I have one of those things in my house. This sentence from the article really jumped out at me, “the case raised larger questions about why Amazon saves recordings and transcripts of all of your dialogue with Alexa for an indefinite period of time.”
What reason could they possibly have to keep that info? There are Amazon buildings going up all around the area where I live. I wonder how many are data storage sites?