Americans Are Literally Being Worked To Death

Are you constantly tired and do you feel incredibly stressed almost all the time? Well, that means that there is a really good chance that you are a typical American worker. Even though our incomes are going down, Americans are spending more time at work than ever before. In fact, U.S. workers spend more time at work than anyone else in the world. But it was not always this way. Back in 1970, the average work week for an American worker was about 35 hours. Today, it is up to 46 hours. But there are other major economies around the globe that are doing just fine without burning their workers out. For example, the average American worker spends 378 more hours working per year than the average German worker does. Sadly, for many Americans work is not even finished once they leave the office. According to one recent survey, the average American worker spends an extra seven hours per week on work tasks such as checking emails and answering phone calls after normal work hours have finished. Other Americans are juggling two or three jobs in a desperate attempt to make ends meet. Americans are busier than ever and work is often pushing the other areas of our lives on to the back burner. What this also means is that "family vacations" are becoming increasingly rare in the United States. In fact, Americans spend less days on vacation than anyone else in the industrialized world. While some would applaud our "work ethic", the truth is that the fact that we are being overworked is having some very serious consequences. In fact, as you will see below, Americans are literally being worked to death. The following is an excerpt from a comment that one reader posted on one of my recent articles. Can you identify with what this family is going through?....

more here
Americans Are Literally Being Worked To Death

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How about the flip side of this in that Americans buy more crap that they don't need, buy new cars every 5 years or so, live in bigger houses than they need, and so on and so on.

Americans would not have to work those hours if they lived a more frugal lifestyle.

menotyou

bella amicizia
How about the flip side of this in that Americans buy more crap that they don't need, buy new cars every 5 years or so, live in bigger houses than they need, and so on and so on.

Americans would not have to work those hours if they lived a more frugal lifestyle.
When I build my place, the floorplan I have picked has less than 1000 sq ft. I just need enough room for the grands to visit and a couple dogs. I don't need a 5000 sq ft house. I will not be trading my car, but I do need an old truck for the whatever. That's it. I have no one to impress. I just want to be debt-free and happy.

Indecisi0n

I live within my means and am willing to give up 8 hrs a week. I could probably give up 10 a week and still get my 40 for the week.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dave Ramsay and Clark Howard are on my ipod's podcast list

I listen to their shows while I do my residential deliveries

Clark Howard is more informative but Dave's show basically hits on the same financial principles over and over

Clark Howard is my personal pocket protector.

Returntosender

Clark Howard is more informative but Dave's show basically hits on the same financial principles over and over
Do you also listen to Motley Fool Money podcasts?

menotyou

bella amicizia

I love Clark. He is very informative.