An Irritated Feeder Driver

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hose tucked in and connected, chains on top bar. I do use the light cord to drain air but I unhook it it when it's done.
Thank you. It is not that difficult and it does help out the next guy a little bit. Don't forget to unwrap the light cord from the pogo stick also. In cold weather, it tends to keep that shape. A couple of coils in it.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Perhaps I was a bit harsh on MSuggs, sorry. But I've been surrounded by newer feeder people lately and things like he pointed out seem to be the worst they can be concerned with. Yet they bring in equipment that should be red tagged and the pickup point , etc,etc.

Rant over.

raceanoncr

On a side note and don't mean to derail this thread....but I will...whatever happened to those, so-called, "Silver Eagle" dollies we were sposed to get a few years ago. Here, we got big speech, video, papers (oh, yeah, UPS runs on PAPER) to sign, what to do if have flat/blowout with those single wheel zooty-zoot, "cure-all" to end all UPS dolly woes.

Was still in sleepers when that primo invention came out and, after traveling the country, never DID see one on UPS property.

MaceFremonti

I snag a couple.of these a month in NEWPA. They go quick. I saw one come in from the cafeteria and cuty.lumch short to go.snag it....

Attachments

• 1417623689415.jpg
    1417623689415.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 1417623704726.jpg
    1417623704726.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 236

MoarTape

I'll hide those in the bottom lot from now on..Lol. I went to get a dolly on Saturday morning and there was only one. To my surprise, it wasn't red tagged.

MaceFremonti

One of those dollies, two new pups, and a new Mack equals one smooth ride home. Stops perfectly straight, pulls straight, anti-locks are spot on. Easy money!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't care for the light cord passing through the handle. Good way to rip it out of the socket on tight left turns.

The reason we do it is to keep the light cord relatively straight. That way you can keep the red cord on the outside of it, keeping your emergency air hose away from the hook and pintle eye. You can easily tell if the cord is too short to go through the handle.

Dracula

I don't get it, what is the point of putting the hose down in the hole like that? I have never done that, or even seen that.

It keeps the hose off the nose of the dolly. So if you're backing your trailer to the dolly and hit the front of the dolly with the hitch of the trailer, and that hose is riding up front, like the first picture, you have a decent chance of pinching, and cutting that cord. It's just easier to put the hose in the hole when you drop the dolly for the next guy. And you don't have to ram the trailer into the dolly to pinch that hose.

It's how the old-timers trained me.

Dracula

Hose looks better, but the chains are still hooked to the bottom bar. Makes it a little difficult to reach across the dolly down to the bottom bar to get to the chain with the pogo stick there.

I always do one side, then walk over to the other side to finish the job. I avoid reaching over the dolly. Again, the way I was trained. It's a real good way to keep that dirt and salt off your clothes, too.

Dracula

We are told to put the chains on the handle because a driver broke an ankle on a hook. It doesnt take any time to unhook them before you lift.

Us too. They train us to drop the chains when we hook the dolly to the trailer.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I used to drop the chains while moving the dolly by hand, as instructed. After getting my feet tangled in the chain one night on a hill, to hell with that. STupidvisor gigs me everytime he rides with me, but I refuse to change my ways.

The good thing is that I get to keep my dolly, so I clean it up, and keep the grease off the hoses and pigtail.

MoarTape

Had a rental today with no pintle. Outbound load at t/a was a set. Called dispatch and asked them to spot a dolly for me while I took a 30 minute lunch (came from package so I still say lunch). 35 minutes later I drive by the bay where my rear trailer is and lo and behold someone had built the set for me!

If this was NewPA, they have multiple jobs this peak just to build sets and shuttle loads to the lots they rented for the contractor loads going out. They don't seem to be messing around this year.

MoarTape

One of those dollies, two new pups, and a new Mack equals one smooth ride home. Stops perfectly straight, pulls straight, anti-locks are spot on. Easy money!

Hope you enjoyed that windy turnpike as much as I. Got sent back empty and I was all over the place. Pretty much from Bedford to the base of the mountain just before New Stanton.