An Irritated Feeder Driver

Brown Now

Well, you know as well as I do, some drivers are going to do the least amount of work possible. There is still a little track star in some newbies as well. Management, at least where I was trained new drivers to unhook the safety chains and just drop them on the ground. I never did that. I was old school. cross them under the dolly to make it easier on the next guy. I'd also bleed the air tank when I dropped it.
Wish more drivers bled the tank when done. I'm in the Midwest and it's cold. You find a dolly, back up to it, jump out to hook it quickly and the last driver dropped it with air in it. So now you're twisting the rock hard light cord around the pogo on to the light cord pull strap to get the brakes to completely release. All while it's about 19 degrees out with a nice wind out of the north.

Even with all that I still drain the tank on the dollies I drop for the next guy.

QKRSTKR

Both your trailers are on the door. Dolly spotted in front of rear box. Sort goes down. You are inside behind your trailer like you are supposed to be. You see the door go down.

Do you pull off a few feet and check the back or do you pull off, back to your dolly in front of the back box and then check the lights and seal the trailer?

I usually pull off and back to my dolly. Check the lights, seal trailer, throw the dolly on and then couple. I check the seals as I am attaching hoses to dolly.

Some of us do not claim to be perfect. When backing to a dolly, I have bumped the pintle hook a time or two. You know, raining. Sometimes hard to tell how close you are.

I guess I could pull the front box off the door, stop, get out and check lights and hoses. Then get back in and move it in front of the dolly. Just saving a step.

Here's how I leave the hose for the next guy. The hose stays behind the pin and the handle so it cannot get punctured if one backs too far and taps the dolly.
I pull off the door and check,the rear of trailer for any problems and seal it, then back to dolly. Yes it is hard to see sometimes, especially dark and raining.

That's how I like mine too, exactly like that. That's the last line you want a tear or bubble in.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Who would ever think this was a good idea?
Ugh I hate that too.

I only drain dollies if I am leaving them in the pile or pulling one on road. Otherwise I just use the hostling valve so I can use the air left as a parking brake. Keeps overzealous part time sups from moving your equipment in extended centers too (and it's fun to watch them try}. Why wouldn't you just use the hostling valve if you find a dolly with the brakes locked and its freezing outside?

MaceFremonti

On a different note....walking in to dispatch this afternoon my nose is accosted by the most putrid stench I have ever smelled. Walking up the stairs it somehow gets even worse.

I'm thinking a sewer pipe broke and flooded dispatch. I open the door to dispatch and immediately all the hairs in my nose and my eyebrows are singed off.

Standing there, all 300 pounds of him, is Mr. Shiney Wheels.

I had to go back downstairs and wait for him to leave before I could go back in.

I can only imagine what his sleeper birth smells like. :eek:

rkctkc

On a different note....walking in to dispatch this afternoon my nose is accosted by the most putrid stench I have ever smelled. Walking up the stairs it somehow gets even worse.

I'm thinking a sewer pipe broke and flooded dispatch. I open the door to dispatch and immediately all the hairs in my nose and my eyebrows are singed off.

Standing there, all 300 pounds of him, is Mr. Shiney Wheels.

I had to go back downstairs and wait for him to leave before I could go back in.

I can only imagine what his sleeper birth smells like. :eek:

Have smelled plenty of these guys in the dispatch office this holiday season.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
pull triples and take the time to pretrip the dollies real well. bring to shop and put more grease on the fifth wheel.

well worth it with triples as it makes a 4 hour trip go by well without having to constantly correct steering caused by dry or semi dry 5th wheels.

Pickles

One of our cocky seasonal drivers that talks about how every regular driver should be fired because they've done this or that lost his trailer going out the driveway tonight. Maybe he should've checked his pin?

Then he shows back up 45 minutes later and says he refuses to drive on the ice.

Is it wrong to rat out a seasonal who no one likes and burns everyones runs because he doesn't do the methods properly? Last week he ran over his lunch box he left on the battery box...

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Is it wrong to rat out a seasonal who no one likes and burns everyones runs because he doesn't do the methods properly? Last week he ran over his lunch box he left on the battery box...
I just shed a tear. Lets have a moment of silence for the lost lunch.