And so it begins

Trucker Clock

Not enough to make up for all of the problems it has caused.

It has caused us, the employees, problems. Not UPS.

They just lay people off and combine routes. No problem to them.

I honestly couldn't even guess what the cost/benefit is.

I’m sure Saturday is not profitable. But it keeps these accounts with us. And we make money off them as a whole, even if we lose a little on Saturday.

It would not surprise me.
Saturday deliveries are unprofitable? Well. Let's try Saturdays and Sundays.

We do what the customer, shipper, wants. If not, they go to someone else who will do what they want.

Deliver on Saturday and Sunday to make the shipper happy. Make money overall from the shipper by keeping all their volume.

We’re not delivering on Saturday out of the goodness of our hearts. We are delivering on Saturday because that is what our shippers demand. If we don’t do it, they go to FedEx.

If these shippers packages aren’t delivered on Saturday, or Sunday, customers will leave them (Walmart, Kohls, Target, HSN, etc.) and go to Amazon, who will deliver their packages on Saturday and Sunday.

some1else

Banned
Yep. It has kept some major accounts from switching to FedEx to appease the customers greed of getting everything right now.

I know for a fact that Walmart, Target and Kohls wanted us to deliver their packages on Saturdays, just like FedEx would.

These companies are in competition with Amazon. Amazon delivers on Saturday. These companies wanted their packages delivered on Saturday also.

The effects of change. If FedEx, Amazon and the USPS quit delivering on Saturday, we probably would also.

Hell, Sunday delivering will be coming.
Dosnt that same argument hold when unions first fought for a weekend? Well sneed’s coal mine can’t be closed for the weekend becuase chuck’s coal company works Saturday and they won’t be able to compete.
I understand it will help with profits and buybacks but your argument holds true for back then as well.

PT Car Washer

Dosnt that same argument hold when unions first fought for a weekend? Well sneed’s coal mine can’t be closed for the weekend becuase chuck’s coal company works Saturday and they won’t be able to compete.
I understand it will help with profits and buybacks but your argument holds true for back then as well.
It's a race to the bottom. Of course higher management never works weekends.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
I always feel sorry for our drivers when I see them out there at 8PM on a Saturday night. Along with the Post office and Amazon. Then you see the Post office and Amazon out there on Sunday night. I bet Amazon is working today.
Yep , they start some of those guys at 2pm and weird hours though too.
🧔‍♂️✊

Trucker Clock

Not really.

Sneed's coal mine can mine enough coal Mon-Fri to supply the industry. They didn't need to work Saturday. They were only forced because of management greed.

Package delivery is different. If, on Friday, Joe wants a new widget, and Amazon will deliver it on Saturday, but Walmart will not deliver it until Monday, which option do you think Joe will choose? Amazon, of course.

This is why we deliver on Saturday, and the Union understands. It sucks, but we need to deliver on Saturday to keep these accounts that compete with Amazon, who does delivers on Saturday.

It's the cost of doing business. Stop Saturday delivery and we lose billions of dollars with these huge accounts.

Oh, and learn your history. The Unions fought for an 8 hour workday, and a 40 hour workweek, not necessarily for the weekends off. It used to be fair game for a 12 hour workday, 7 days a week. They didn't necessarily fight for a Mon-Fri workweek. It just so happened that the Unions thought that they should not work on a Sunday, the Sabbath. It just progressed, more because of Henry Ford, to have Saturday off instead of Monday for the 5 day workweek.

And to this day, and this contract, the Union still fought for a 5 day workweek. We still have it.

some1else

Banned
Not really.

Sneed's coal mine can mine enough coal Mon-Fri to supply the industry. They didn't need to work Saturday. They were only forced because of management greed.

Package delivery is different. If, on Friday, Joe wants a new widget, and Amazon will deliver it on Saturday, but Walmart will not deliver it until Monday, which option do you think Joe will choose? Amazon, of course.

This is why we deliver on Saturday, and the Union understands. It sucks, but we need to deliver on Saturday to keep these accounts that compete with Amazon, who does delivers on Saturday.

It's the cost of doing business. Stop Saturday delivery and we lose billions of dollars with these huge accounts.

Oh, and learn your history. The Unions fought for an 8 hour workday, and a 40 hour workweek, not necessarily for the weekends off. It used to be fair game for a 12 hour workday, 7 days a week. They didn't necessarily fight for a Mon-Fri workweek. It just so happened that the Unions thought that they should not work on a Sunday, the Sabbath. It just progressed, more because of Henry Ford, to have Saturday off instead of Monday for the 5 day workweek.

And to this day, and this contract, the Union still fought for a 5 day workweek. We still have it.
So your fancy economic analysis is that if the company pays for all the mining equipment, the property, engineers etc that once they hit pay dirt using that capital for an extra day won’t give them a huge advantage over the competition?
Capital expense / 6 days of production
Vs
Same capital expense / 5 days of production
I’m going to quote you from earlier “thank god your not running the company”

Trucker Clock

So your fancy economic analysis is that if the company pays for all the mining equipment, the property, engineers etc that once they hit pay dirt using that capital for an extra day won’t give them a huge advantage over the competition?

Not if the competition is not working on Saturday.

Capital expense / 6 days of production
Vs
Same capital expense / 5 days of production

And we fought for a 5 day workweek, not 6 days of production. A win for Unions and the worker.

I’m going to quote you from earlier “thank god your not running the company”

A 5 day workweek. But, 5 consecutive days, not necessarily the weekends off. We fought for it, and still have it. That what Unions are all about and what Unions do for us.

Thebrownblob

This section doesn't seem to apply to the inside employees not protected from forced 6th day punches.
That’s a strange phenomenon we have never had any part time employee “forced” to work a sixth day they usually volunteer. Apparently it doesn’t work that way everywhere.