Another customer you want to strangle story

Ipopsheep

Customer wants me to stand there as she opens each box and examine for damage every single day. Today I was a little stressed after she says "Hurry Up" to me. She got 5 big boxes. I asked if she wanted them at the front door as usual and she "clicks her tongue" in disgust. I put them at her front door and started to walk away and she demanded I open them up. I responded that she knows I don't carry a knife and I told you I cant open any customer boxes as a Ups Employee. We have talked about this before. She said I guess I will go in the house and get one. I just got into my truck and drove away. Yesterday I told her I didn't have time to wait around and if she had any problems just to file a claim thru the 1-800 number. Every Fffing day I cant just deliver and go. everyday she eats up 5-10 mins of my time.

Any tips on how to handle this crazy bitch. I feel next she will have me mowing her lawn and reroofing her house if I don't stand my ground. I do not want to get a bullseye on my back with management but I don't have time to Bull:censored2: with this customer. she is Obviously self entitled and overly demanding above what a ups driver is allowed to do. I really don't know how to handle her. I want to give good customer service but some people are just idiots. I don't know what I can and cannot do and what the rules are. I want to shut her down without getting pulled into the center managers office with my stewart. Any comments are welcome.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Customer wants me to stand there as she opens each box and examine for damage every single day. Today I was a little stressed after she says "Hurry Up" to me. She got 5 big boxes. I asked if she wanted them at the front door as usual and she "clicks her tongue" in disgust. I put them at her front door and started to walk away and she demanded I open them up. I responded that she knows I don't carry a knife and I told you I cant open any customer boxes as a Ups Employee. We have talked about this before. She said I guess I will go in the house and get one. I just got into my truck and drove away. Yesterday I told her I didn't have time to wait around and if she had any problems just to file a claim thru the 1-800 number. Every Fffing day I cant just deliver and go. everyday she eats up 5-10 mins of my time.

Any tips on how to handle this crazy bitch. I feel next she will have me mowing her lawn and reroofing her house if I don't stand my ground. I do not want to get a bullseye on my back with management but I don't have time to Bull:censored2: with this customer. she is Obviously self entitled and overly demanding above what a ups driver is allowed to do. I really don't know how to handle her. I want to give good customer service but some people are just idiots. I don't know what I can and cannot do and what the rules are. I want to shut her down without getting pulled into the center managers office with my stewart. Any comments are welcome.
Drop and go every time. I wouldn't give her one minute of my time, let alone 5-10! Management isn't going to harass you for NOT standing around waiting on a customer to examine her crap. If you you tell your supervisor what the lady does I bet she gets a call from him/her and sorts it out himself. He doesn't want you working that extra 5-10 minutes every day either.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

It's not your job to stand there while she opens packages. That's not customer service, its being a pusillanimous.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Any tips on how to handle this crazy bitch.

Drop and go every time. I wouldn't give her one minute of my time, let alone 5-10! Management isn't going to harass you for NOT standing around waiting on a customer to examine her crap. If you you tell your supervisor what the lady does I bet she gets a call from him/her and sorts it out himself. He doesn't want you working that extra 5-10 minutes every day either.

Pretty much spot on. The only thing I would add is when she starts (if you don't get away fast enough) is tell her she can accept it or refuse it, you're not waiting anymore for her to inspect.

542thruNthru

We do not wait for customers to open boxes and examine. I could understand if the box looked damaged but if it doesn't drop and go.

You will not get in trouble.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Just remain silent and smile throughout the delivery, when you set the last box down beeline it to the truck saying “gotta go, really busy day, have a good one”
Next stop

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If any package appears damaged and she doesn't want to refuse it, mark in the comments "possdmg". Let her know you have done that and it will be visible in tracking. Then let her know to contact the shipper if it is damaged and they can start the claims process. Once you establish this with her, just tell her when you have marked a package as possibly damaged and go about your day. This works for me every time.

It let's the customer know we are acknowledging there may be a problem, and that can help them get a refund from the shipper if there is a problem. Whether UPS pays the shipper's claim is a totally different matter, and need not concern the receiver.

One time I delivered a package that was obviously leaking broken glass. The guy had his buddy ship it to him through a ups store. It was 75 lbs of heavy steel grow lights along with their tempered glass lenses. Absolutely zero packing material. Glass was not removed and wrapped or shipped separately. I took the time to explain to him why he would be wasting his time filing a claim with UPS. Really makes you wonder sometimes...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Drop and roll

Whither

Scofflaw
Only a few weeks seniority here but a favorite scenario is the odd call tag where the consignee thinks they can hand you an unpacked item. Last time this happened a woman asked if she could 'quickly pack' her Amazon return. I replied, "I can give you 30 seconds, otherwise I'm leaving the label and you'll have to drop it off." This caught her off-guard. She laughed and rushed off, took her less than a minute.

Whither

Scofflaw
Had to double back to a Costco a few weeks ago because their last piece, a saver, was buried in another bulk stop. Got there at 1250p. Posted hours said receiving closes at 1p. Rang the buzzer several times.

After a minute or two a receiving employee threw open the door yelling at me "Do you know what time it is! Do you know what time we close!" I looked at my watch and asked "Do you know what time it is? Cause by my watch y'all don't close for another 10 minutes." Another round of lecturing from the employee: I "should've been [there] earlier," "should've known that no one would be around after 1230" blah blah blah. I cut him off, "Look, it boils down to this: do you accept the package? If not I'm happy to sheet it refused and we'll return it to the shipper." He signed for it.

ManInBrown

Make her sign for everything. Stack the boxes in the front of the truck. Walk up ring doorbell and tell her those boxes over there are yours. You have to sign for them from now on. Get signature. Drop them and leave. Not your job to stand there while she inspects them. After she signs they are her problem.

ManInBrown

Yep.

It's been a long standing company policy that if the customer want's to

refuse them upon a visual inspection.... no problem.

If they've been opened, they own them.
Thats why im saying he should force her to sign for everything. Leaves no doubt they are her problem now. Once she signs its between the customer and the shipper.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
This is an easy one.

When you see that stop in your board dont deliver them but sheet them:
nondelivery, future, note: check for damage.

Give them to the clerk every night or morning, have him/her mark "Ok to deliver, no damage" on each one.

When you deliver them (the next day) you can point out that as a courtesy the clerk checked them out for her the day prior and there's no reason for you to open them up.
When she gets them held for inspection every time the light bulb in her brain may illuminate.