Another Ground thrashing

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually, if Fred was committed to creating the most efficient package delivery service, and wasn’t so threatened by the thought of dealing with collective bargaining, he could afford to pay competitively, and managers would be able to browbeat employees who were actually afraid to lose their jobs.

This board is like my favorited football message board.

"Why don't we trade for [some big name]?"
Because we don't have any players they need and we don't have any draft picks to spare. And besides, he's not as good as the others we've already got at that position.

"Why don't we sign [some big name free agent]?"
We don't have the cap space and we don't need him.

"Why don't we trade [one of our guys]?"
We probably won't get much for him and no one wants his contract.

"If Fred paid more then everything would work perfectly."

59 Dano

I’m sure Memphis elite employees like Dano will step up to the plate, roll up his sleeves and log out of his computer and head home for the holidays no later than December 23rd at noon.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm off from 12/21 until 1/3 unless my wife changes our plans. May do a little work from home if needed.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
"If Fred paid more then everything would work perfectly."
Since you quoted me, I'd like to point out that your paraphrase doesn't even resemble what I said.

1. Fred needs to design the most efficient delivery system possible. Hub and Spoke was a good start, but the design after that fails.
2. You notice Jeff Bezos hired the best logistics personnel away from FedEx, not the accountants.
3. UPS deals with collective bargaining and thrives. Control of their workforce isn't compromised, and results reflect that.

FedEx is as bloated as Fred has become.
images.jpg
download.jpg

59 Dano

Since you quoted me, I'd like to point out that your paraphrase doesn't even resemble what I said.

1. Fred needs to design the most efficient delivery system possible. Hub and Spoke was a good start, but the design after that fails.
I love the idea that Fred is greedy, but not greedy enough to design a system that's more efficient and profitable. As if it's as easy as changing from a polo shirt to a dress shirt.

2. You notice Jeff Bezos hired the best logistics personnel away from FedEx, not the accountants.
I've heard that talking point and many people are wed to it. If true, they hired the people responsible for DRA and the like.

Not that it matters either way because Amazon, and what it does, is only somewhat similar to what FedEx and UPS do.

3. UPS deals with collective bargaining and thrives. Control of their workforce isn't compromised, and results reflect that.
Amazon has no collective bargaining issues, follows a contractor model pays worse than most Ground contractors, has an annual turnover rate of around 150% - and thrives.

vantexan

Amazon has no collective bargaining issues, follows a contractor model pays worse than most Ground contractors, has an annual turnover rate of around 150% - and thrives.
If all they're doing is delivering mostly light packages to mostly residencies all day that would be a dream job if it paid enough.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Amazon thrives because they have lots of physical product to sell which heavily supports everything else. All FedEx has to sell these days is late freight.

Working4the1%

I love the idea that Fred is greedy, but not greedy enough to design a system that's more efficient and profitable. As if it's as easy as changing from a polo shirt to a dress shirt.

I've heard that talking point and many people are wed to it. If true, they hired the people responsible for DRA and the like.

Not that it matters either way because Amazon, and what it does, is only somewhat similar to what FedEx and UPS do.

About to change. Work For Amazon? Get Ready To Hear From The Teamsters

bacha29

Amazon thrives because they have lots of physical product to sell which heavily supports everything else. All FedEx has to sell these days is late freight.
If the disaster some predict does occur and horror stories are abundant Congress hearings on the matter are likely to follow.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

1. Greedy is your terminology, not mine. But, okay, you win.

2. Precisely HOW is Amazon Delivery different from what FedEx does?

3. Amazon thrives DESPITE these similarities because they are intent on improving the delivery cycle, not to improve their bottom line doing so. FedEx can't say that.

vantexan

If the disaster some predict does occur and horror stories are abundant Congress hearings on the matter are likely to follow.
If the Democrats think that they'll be able to push their progressive agenda then anything could instigate Congressional hearings.

vantexan

3. Amazon thrives DESPITE these similarities because they are intent on improving the delivery cycle, not to improve their bottom line doing so. FedEx can't say that.
I really don't know but does Amazon have an early commit time? Do pickups? Deliver haz? Honestly if it's mostly straight lining resi's all day with no pickups and reloads, etc it's the perfect delivery job.

falcon back

Express entire bottom line is depended on deliveries, Amazon makes over 15 billion $ a year on Prime membership alone. So you say Amazon is improving it's delivery cycle. Nearly all of my 2 day deliveries have turned into 3 and 4 day deliveries. Amazon drivers and Fdx drivers have nothing in common except they both drive a van, that's where the similarities end.

bacha29

If the Democrats think that they'll be able to push their progressive agenda then anything could instigate Congressional hearings.
That progressive agenda will serve you quite nicely in the years ahead. BTW Medicare you know a key part of that agenda still footing the bill for your old man's healthcare needs?

vantexan

That progressive agenda will serve you quite nicely in the years ahead. BTW Medicare you know a key part of that agenda still footing the bill for your old man's healthcare needs?
Medicare isn't part of the Green New Deal. Medicare for all is. And will bankrupt the country.

59 Dano

Amazon is essentially a more advanced version of Walmart's inventory management and distribution systems with the addition of delivery to the end user. It's delivering the products that it sells and warehouses in its near 200 distribution centers.

The entirety of their delivery cycle is loading a truck at the distribution center and sending someone out there to deliver it. Their last mile operation is nothing special.

59 Dano

I really don't know but does Amazon have an early commit time? Do pickups? Deliver haz? Honestly if it's mostly straight lining resi's all day with no pickups and reloads, etc it's the perfect delivery job.
It's Ground without pickups and haz, and mostly small light packages. All the way down to the low-paying contractor model!

bacha29

Medicare isn't part of the Green New Deal. Medicare for all is. And will bankrupt the country.
You conservatives all had the very same fear of the Roosevelt New Deal, Johnson Great Society etc. In the absence of public policy all you've ever had to offer the American people was fear. In essence what you've always said was...."we have no alternative policy or solutions to offer so here people...just be afraid" .